Originally posted by Female hawk:

They 'said' they had evidence. Lois saw none of it.

When Clark asked her if she believed their story, she said she believed they were blackmailing the government - she'd witnessed that herself.
I realize I should let this go now, and I sort of apologize for being so tenacious. This will be the last time I'm trying to make my point, I promise! wink

Yes, Lois believed that the Sewells were trying to blackmail the government. But really, if there was no substance to their claims, what were their bargaining chips? Let's assume somebody in the United States contacted the government and said that they had proof that an alien had landed in Kansas in 1966, and if the government didn't pay them a million dollars, they would make the whole thing public! What would the government do? I'd advise them to reply with a big fat yawn and a recommendation to the 'whistle-blowers' to go ahead and print their evidence. So what if they made their 'proof' public? In real life Superman has not, alas, arrived on the Earth. How can it hurt the government if somebody says that an alien has landed on the Earth, if this claim is completely untrue? Why would the government care about some nutty UFO fanatics? Why would they be prepared to kidnap or kill people to silence these UFO nutcases?

But, Female Hawk, you have to understand one thing about me. I lay claim to the title of the Greatest Lois Defender in the world, although Tank Wilson insists that he is the greatest Lois champion. Anyway, I like Lois so very much, and I don't particularly like her being stupid. So I try to convince and cajole people on these boards to make their Loises a bit smarter. wink That's why I was just flabbergasted at your suggestion that Lois could fail to understand that there was some absolutely huge cover-up of some sort going on in Smallville. Also, until she had some evidence to the contrary, it would seem like a good bet to assume that Clark Kent was somehow involved in this cover-up. And so far the best lead she had to a cover-up involving Clark Kent was the claim that he was an alien, wasn't it? So maybe she should pay a little more attention to that possibility? Not to print it, no. I love the idea that Lois bonded strongly with the Kent family. She wouldn't throw them to the dogs for an award-winning story. I just love the idea that Lois would be noble, if I may use that word, and keep quiet about a secret that she knew of but couldn't print, because it would hurt the Kent family.

Also, I quite agree that Lois has no reason to suspect that Clark is 'super', only that he is an alien. She has seen nothing to suggest that Clark has super-human abilities. Well, apart from that croissant.... wink

Once again, I really, really liked your story. It definitely shows that you have written stories professionally in your life! smile1

Ann