Thanks for the extensive feedback, Ann.

Originally posted by TOC:

Lois must have realized that Clark Kent really was an alien, and that Jonathan Kent was lying to her with his story about Chrissie.

Why? She's seen no superpowers (not just from Superman/Clark, but from anyone). At this stage she doesn't know men in blue tights can fly!

She meets a country reporter, and a day later, two scientists (whom she never got to talk to) are claiming (through Nunk, of all people) that said country reporter is an alien, based solely on the flimsy evidence of an easily explained photograph.

Yes - the photograph shocked her, but when Jonathan gives her an (admittedly stretched, but possibly plausible) explanation, the balance of probabilities are heavily in favour of the Sewells having made up their story in the hope of some quick cash.

In this pre-Superman world, aliens are still a yet-to-be-proven entity.

She must have realized that Franklin Hodge knew that Clark was an alien, and that his primary concern was to protect Clark's secret. But Lois never seemed to consider the implications of this.

That's our Lois!

The ending was so sad. Lois leaves Smallville, and Clark stays. Or doesn't he? Will Perry like his resume and hire him? Maybe he should go to Metropolis anyway and chase down a story to convince Perry to hire him.

It never occured to me that the ending was sad!!

In some ways, this story is more about Lois's relationship with the Kent Family, than just her relationship with Clark.

Not having a closeness with her family - what she sees in them is just soooo attractive.

The family prevails! Sure Lois doesn't know the whole story, but she does know the family was threatened, and by working together, found a solution. She was even a part of the solution - they included her and accepted her - intoxicating stuff for a girl whose own family was never anything like this.

Thanks again - I really appreciate your thoughts. You've made me wonder how I could have more effectively got these themes across.