Wow. What an ending. It was great, but it left a lot of loose ends. First of all, I wonder about Franklin Hodge. What was he up to really? He had to know that Clark was an alien. Why did he protect his secret? So that the government would have some leverage over Clark and his parents? Or to make sure that people didn't panic over an 'alien'? To prevent rioting and horrible scenes in Smallville as people flocked there to see or threaten the alien monster and his adoptive parents?

Lois must have realized that Clark Kent really was an alien, and that Jonathan Kent was lying to her with his story about Chrissie. She must have realized that Franklin Hodge knew that Clark was an alien, and that his primary concern was to protect Clark's secret (maybe for ulterior motives). But Lois never seemed to consider the implications of this. Of course, this Lois doesn't know that Clark has superpowers just because he is an alien. To her, Clark's alienness just means that he is different in a way that doesn't matter to her anyway, in the same way that she has never been turned off by Superman's 'alienness'.

But maybe she does realize that Clark has a few secrets that he hasn't shared with her? That croissant... and newspapers you aren't likely to find in Smallville.

The ending was so sad. Lois leaves Smallville, and Clark stays. Or doesn't he? Will Perry like his resume and hire him? Maybe he should go to Metropolis anyway and chase down a story to convince Perry to hire him.

Like I said, the ending was so bittersweet somehow. I would have loved to have been given a happy ending, but I guess this is the kind of story where the reader has to come up with the happy ending in his or her head.

Thanks for a wonderful story!

Ann