38. Evidence by Jonathan Kellerman. Policeman Milo Sturgis and psychologist Alex Delaware solve another mystery, this one of a couple murdered in a half-constructed mansion in Holmby Hills, California. Well-written as usual for Kellerman, and worth reading.

39. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. Charles Ryder, college friend of Sebastian Flyte (son of Lord Marchmain) goes to the family seat when he is young and again ten years later. A lot more to the book than I'm making it sound. Much talk about religion, and an underlying theme of God's grace. Big ideas, with a lot of pondering involved.

Unfortunately, deep down I'm shallow, so I'll have to think about this one for about ten years.

40. The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Better known for her "Twilight" series, this book tells of the alien invasion of Earth and of the few remnant humans who fight on. How can you fight the aliens who take you over, body and soul? Creepy but with an upbeat ending. Not spectacular but competent. Probably a good beach read.