Originally posted by LabRat:
Have to say that I've never heard of that, Lynn. Which isn't to say that it isn't Scottish - could be more of a Highland than a Lowland word, or even just a regional variation outwith my area.

I have to say though that I've heard crack used frequently as a word for chat by Irish comedians on TV - which was my first exposure to the word and meaning. So perhaps your source is off by a few miles laugh and it's actually an Irish word, with its rohttp://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.phpots in Irish Gaelic rather than Scottish Gaelic.

LabRat smile
Interesting. Thank you! I had based my understanding of the word on a discussion I had had with someone from Scotland over a decade ago. I don't think he mentioned what part of Scotland he was from; but the usage of the word really made an impression on me. I had thought it was confirmed by the lyrics of a song by the Scottish singer Andy M. Stewart. The song Take Her in Your Arms includes the lyrics "And the craic is grand tonight". AFAIK, most of the songs he sings are of Scottish origin , but perhaps this song is originally Irish, or perhaps the lyricist just decided to borrow an Irish word? confused huh

Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to my linguistics resources to try to look it up; and I don't completely trust sources on the web for a detailed explanation, although the general consensus from the web pages I looked at quickly did confirm your impression that it is predominantly an Irish word.

If anyone here is from the Highlands, especially if you happen to be a Scots Gaelic speaker, would you please comment? Thanks.

Joy,
Lynn