Oooh, nice list, Alisha!

A couple thoughts I had while reading it:

- While Fall is much more common, some people do use "Autumn," too. I have no idea if it's a regional/age/random other preference thing as to who does and who doesn't.

- I forgot that in the UK cribs were called cots. We do use the word, but to refer to temporary/portable/often somewhat flimsy beds.

- I don't know what the common context is for knickers. I do know that it refers to the things one wears under clothing, in the area around hips/butt/etc. Is it strictly a female undergarment? Because "panties" is strictly female, afaik. Also, "panties" is also a word that...I don't know how to describe it, but a lot of people don't like to use it. For example, I almost never say it, preferring to use the term "underwear." Does "knickers" carry the same...squick factor?

(Other Americans - thoughts on "panties" as a term? Am I overestimating the number of people who don't use it/why they don't?)

- A flashlight doesn't actually flash. I have no idea where the term came from, but just random googling re: etymology... One example of "flash" is to "briefly illuminate" - perhaps because they don't fully illuminate things?

Also, for Americans, torch tends to carry a strong connotation of actual fire. (As in "holding up a stick with flames on top to illuminate things" or as in the verb "to burn something".) Did this come before or after the use of "flashlight"? I haven't a clue!

Slightly related, slightly tangential...

I love learning about the differences in vocabulary use between various English speakers. In fiction, I think characters should sound like characters from that place actually would sound - hence, UK-isms pulling me out of an L&C fic. Similarly, I dislike when British characters (in Doctor Who fic, for example) use clear Americanisms. I will admit that I notice them less often, because I am an American, so I don't always know that Brits will use a different term for something, let alone what it is. But where I do know - drives me crazy!

I also bought a book recently (chick-lit, but enjoyable) where the author was British, the characters were {mostly} British, and it was originally published in Britain. And then the US publishing house printed it here. And CHANGED THE LANGUAGE. Apparently they decided dialogue should remain the same, but all narration should be changed.

The problem with this? It was FIRST PERSON point of view - and that person was a native Londoner! So in narration, she's talking about calling people "on her cell" and "going to the bathroom." eek !!!!

(Speaking of - I know that Brits will use the verb "to ring" to refer to calling people on a phone. Is that the exclusive term, or do they "call" people, too?)

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.