Oh, I'll be entering. I'm always open to feedback, and this looks like an opportunity to get specific feedback of where I personally can improve as a writer. <g> One thing about being a writing major, they don't leave you many illusions about your failings as a writer...

Laura

PS: As to the other Laura's introspection issue: one of my friends had a thirty page story for senior seminar composed of introspection and sitting on a plane. He flunked. The universal standards of good writing call for a balance of introspection, narrative, dialogue, and action... Just some food for thought. I have no idea how much introspection the Merriweather judges will think is too much. <shrug>

PPS: Might I suggest Strunk and White's The Elements of Style? It's the writing handbook that every writer should own...

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying