This was back in the days before 9-1-1, not that that would have made a difference. My father had poured our telephone bill money down his throat, stating it would be better for all of us if my mother didn’t fritter away her time chit-chatting to her friends, when she should be tending the house.”
So that would put this about the late 1960s at the latest. Quite honestly I'm having a mental image of the 50s.

Herb stared at him. “You mean Nightfall wasn’t a danger to Earth? It would’ve missed? There was no reason for Superman to…” He raised his hand in universal ‘fly’ sign.

Clark nodded.

Herb patted his arm. “Do me a favor. Should you ever meet the Clark from my universe again, don’t tell him that.”

“They never discovered the computer virus in your universe?” Clark asked.

Herb shook his head. “Innocence is bliss, they say.”
Alt-Clark is learning the rule of time travel ettiquette.

1) Never mention discrepancies between universes in time.

Clark swallowed, glancing down at his hands. “No, not exactly. She’s undercover as Luthor’s fiancée, but after we somehow find enough proof to put him behind bars… well, we still have some things to discuss… clear up… but, for now, we’re doing the best we can with stolen moments once or twice a week.” He cleared his throat, picking up his mug. “Would you like another cup?”

“That might be another thing to refrain from mentioning to my universe’s Lois and Clark,” Herb suggested.

Clark set his tea things in the sink with a thud and turned back to Herb. “Why?”

“Touchy subject,” Herb murmured under his breath.

The younger man crossed his arms and leaned casually against his kitchen counter, waiting for the time traveler to explain.

Moments passed, and Clark watched as Herb became more agitated under his gaze.

“The Lois of my universe, prior to ever developing a romantic attachment to our Clark, was seriously engaged to Lex Luthor,” Herb finally admitted, pulling his pocket watch out of his pocket. “My, look at the time.” He rose to his feet.
Looks like HG doesn't do a very good job keeping secrets from Alt-Clark.

“Her Clark, of course.”

Clark pinched his lips together. “Of course.”
Alt-Clark: *sarcastically* Thanks for the reminder.

It was once again his and Lois’s relationship that was hidden in the closet and taboo. Her public one was with that horrible man with whom she was allowed to do all the things Clark wished they could do together. He knew it was only temporary. Clark knew every day that the wedding approached spurred his drive all the more to find the evidence against Luthor.
At least that last part is universal.

No matter how sweet and considerate Clark had been acting lately, or how he was bending over backwards to fulfill her every desire regarding the safety of her family, it didn’t mean that Lois was on the lookout for a husband. It didn’t matter how much his lips made her knees weak when he nibbled at her throat, or the memory of how he could caress her body with his gentle touch made her flushed with longing to the core of her being. Just because his soft skin was begging for her to tear his clothes off of him in a fit of unbridled passion, it didn’t mean she would breathlessly submit to his will over and over in a tangle of hot sweaty sheets every single night for the rest of her life.
I wonder how she'd react if she found out that wasn't an option...at least it isn't if she wants to live a long, long time (supposedly.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)