Virginia wrote:
They never mentioned a 'previous owner' of the DP, only a 'board of directors'. I always wondered how this public company went private again with the help of Luthor.
That's a good question. He must have bought controlling shares in the company. I'm not sure how that works, though, since that would mean that a majority of the shareholders would be wanting to sell at the same time. If he only buys what's available at any given moment, that should drive the price up pretty heavily for remaining shares, right? Then some remaining shareholders would be looking to sell because suddenly their shares are worth much more than they paid for them, and others would want to hold on to see how high the stock goes. Or something. I don't see him getting controlling shares all at once. He would probably have to buy them over a period of time.

Lois is still ridiculously delusional. She seems to think that she hasn't actually quit the DP and that she's just on hiatus. She quit. No one can "steal" her stories, since they're not her stories anymore. She has no claim on anything that anyone writes for the DP. Her notes are also likely DP property per her employment agreement. She should have no expectation that when she quits that she has rights to anything that she's been working on as a DP employee. Furthermore, information is information, and just because she knows about it, that doesn't mean that she has exclusive rights to disseminate it. I'm not saying that Ralph's not a sleezeball, but it's not outside of normal practice for an employee to pick up where an ex-employee left off. Though when she left, Perry should have taken what was in her desk and gone through it for anything useful and assigned it to other reporters. He was really remiss in leaving her stuff just sitting there in the storage room without at least going through it first.

Lois really seems to have no grip on reality. The further she goes into her mess of an "investigation", the more I think that she actually does belong in an asylum. She seems to think that the world revolves around her and that certain people should automatically know what she expects them to know and think what she expects them to think. She also seems to think that a method of investigation that has never yielded anything useful but has massive risks is worth pursuing regardless of its detriment to absolutely everyone. I realize that she puts no importance on her personal life relative to her career, so ruining her relationship with Clark is reasonable to her in pursuit of a story, but she's also damaging her reputation and career. Her justification in risking her career is that she's trying to save Clark, but even if she does succeed, he's not going to want to have anything to do with her by the time she's done. Nothing she's done since Nightfall, or maybe earlier, has had any positive effect on anything.

Furthermore, the more she interacts with Luthor, the more he has control over what she does and what she learns. She would have had a much easier time investigating him if she had stayed low on his radar and given him no reason to pay attention to her.

Finally, once she does get evidence of any sort on Luthor's wrongdoings, is anyone going to believe her, and will it be admissible in court? She just might be stepping on the toes of the police in there more effective, prosecutable case against him.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)