John: wave
she was okay with what he ordered or she would have changed it.
JOHN: Or does she just tell herself this to avoid feeling like a total pushover?
She's picking her battles.

someone is finally putting the arrogant jerk know as Lex Luthor in his place.
LEX: I don't know whether to kiss her or kill her.
LOIS: Neither, please.

Why should they compromise. Any compromise will involve Lex controlling more of her life. She is not insisting he not go to unsafe places. It is an unequal bargain, and he has no invulnerability to justify it.
She realizes this. Lex say 'compromise' but he means 'change Lois's stance so she does what he wants'.

JOHN: /throws 'no' party/ she said no to Lex.
And you think Lex believed her... Why?

“I go exploring. I dig and dig and dig until I unearth something shiny and then I share it with the world,” Lois replied, taking a bite of her bread. “It’s very fulfilling.”
JOHN: Hopefully Luthor does not suspect too much from Lois's threat.
Actually, Lois wanted him to know exactly what she was saying. She said, 'if I don't have something else to investigate, I'll end up investigating you'. It implies she isn't already and it also warns Lex not to piss her off. It does show her hand a bit, but it also tells him that she's not going to roll over easily.

He probably really had no clue.
Lex hasn't taken the time to get to know the female of his species to understand them more than what it takes to have conquest over them.

Everyone knows that you’ve been warming Luthor’s sheets…”
JOHN: I am surprised he would say such a thing.
Yeah, that was kind of crass, but he was poking her with a stick to see what her reaction would be. Sometimes you learn more from a reaction than from words.

Lois had demonstrated this subconscious fear of becoming broke on occasion. She checked payphones, vending machines, and under his couch cushions for left change, not to mention being stingy with tips.
JOHN: None of these are a sign of loving wealth and opulence.
No, but they could show an underlying fear (even if it is an irrational or subconscious fear) of becoming broke and penniless, which could explain her attraction to the billionaire. Yes, Clark is grasping at straws.

Thanks for your comments.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.