“Wait. Clark had this watch on his person when you found him?” she sputtered. That would certainly explain his lack of powers.
You know, I should have figured that all along, and expected Simon's diving exercises to come up blank.

She thought he had merely swum over the general vicinity of the watch, which caused him to lose his strength and abilities.
He would not have blacked out in that case, and nearly did, and been in the hospital.

On the other hand, had Henderson sent divers down to search for evidence after they discovered someone had tried to kill Clark there, and just assumed that Clark had the watch on him when they found it?
I guess that might work, but his wording suggests the former.

“I found that watch in my briefcase on Christmas morning,”
I guess this is totally true, yet it is misleading.

“That seems like a strange reaction to receiving a gift,” Henderson said.

She hadn’t said it was a gift. “It was an ugly watch, so I figured I was doing the world a service,” she replied. So much for her good intentions.
On first reading I thought she was being entirely truthful in this response to Henderson's comment. However on further thought I realized that she is not. A big reason why she rejected the gift was the giver, and what it represented both that a-he tried to give it to her, and b-much more, that he refused to accept her initial rejection of it.

“So, you weren’t wearing the watch, and it didn’t just happen to slip off your wrist and fall into the bay while you were there?” he asked, leaning back in his chair and tapping a finger to his lips.

Yeah, that would have been a better story.
If Clark only knew about this rejection of a gift from Luthor, he might be less torn up about the LoLex watch.

Lois shrugged. “I’m not one of those women who drool over expensive rocks,” she said.
Clark:Then why was she so quick to go with Luthor when he offered her something, if she is not obsessed with material things.

Henderson smiled. “You could say that. They’re so rare nobody seems to know what they are.”
We just hope that they keep it that way.

They? Did that mean that the red crystals were red Kryptonite? Superman had never mentioned red Kryptonite.
He does not know there is such a thing.

Then again, he had never mentioned the green type either until she pressed him about it. She felt like slugging Clark. How was she supposed to keep him safe if he kept her out of the loop?
I think he has never considered the importance of Lois keeping him safe. It is a reverse of roles that he has not really considered. He should, but he hasn't.

John Pack Lambert