It was almost back to the way it was that week before the Nightfall eclipse.
Except then they were not both thinking the other might be close to cheating on them, and they were not pretending not to be madly in love with eachother.

He and Lois were once more on a case together and everything felt right with the world,
So is she not wearing the watch, or has he managed to ignore it?

“The investigation will have to wait, Lois,” he replied, glancing down at her watch. “I have a date.”
I was so hoping he would conveniently forget this date.

“What? Laderman? You? My ordeal in the Bay? Superman? Us? What?” he asked.
Yes, what exactly should he not tell Linda?

“If you like, I’ll pick up a new wallet after lunch.”
Or Lois could give him a wallet. Maybe then he would be less mad about her getting a watch from Luthor.

Lois was tempted to wait a half-hour, and then go up to the roof to call for Superman.
Do it, do it, do it.

She wondered why Clark hadn’t gone to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a replacement driver’s license for the one that was stolen or lost at sea.
Her knowing but not officially is really dragging out a long time.

Then she remembered that he hadn’t known about the real Clark Kent’s birth certificate until the Kents had offered it to him.
He should use this to get a drivers license and other forms of ID. It is the only way they will be able to get married.

Where had gotten his driver’s license from, then?
I think you want to say "where had he gotten".

Had it been a forgery? She had examined it, and it had looked real to her.
Well, she was right that it was real.

Lois paused as something tickled her mind. It almost felt like a memory, which was weird. How could one have a memory of the future?
Her memories of the way things were are coming back to help her.

It certainly didn’t have anything to do with Clark and Linda’s date.
More protesting too much.

Lois saw Linda interviewing the Fire Captain in charge of scene and Clark disappearing around the corner and into the stairwell.
I think that should be "Fire Cpatain in charge of the scene".

“What do you mean you ‘didn’t get a quote’?” Lois screamed at Clark.
Why is he being intentionally difficult?

“Cut?” Lois said, suddenly interested in the cable. “Then the accident wasn’t…”

“An accident,” Clark finished. “Somebody wanted the elevator to fall.”
At least they are working together. I still wish it was more.

“Dry-cleaning? Dry-cleaning? Are your new suits really more important than saving the Planet, Perry? Are they? I sent Rita to do research for a major story and you made her get your dry-cleaning?” Lois hollered so loud the windows of his office shook.
I like how we see how Lois thinks and acts here. It is a very good explanation of Lois' actions.

“Major story, Lois?” the boss said softly, tenting his fingers as he leaned back in his chair. “If memory serves me right, you sent her to snoop on Clark’s lunch date.”
Lois:Well, Clark dating her is also part of the investigation.

Clark:Sort of like you dating Luthor.

Lois:Exactly, this is all part of the investigation.

Clark:Even taking the watch?

Lois:I don't care about the watch. It has a tracker in it, I am using it to let Lex thing I trust him, he is going to mess up.

Reader:OK, maybe I am just too hopeful things will resolve.

Clark said, both thrilled and disturbed by this development. She was getting a bit obsessive over Linda.
He should just kiss her to distract her.

“Yes, but I was robbed. She wasn’t. I was a victim. She was the scooping reporter,” Lois clarified.
She does have a point. The robbers acted to make sure that Linda got the story, but at the same time did not have to deal with the police.

“And Linda just happened to be covering a fashion show across the street from the Metropolitan Hotel on Monday when the fire broke out,” Clark added
smile1 Clark is building up Lois' theory.

“See why you want to stay away from her, Clark?” Lois announced, poking him with her index finger. “She’s a good luck magnet for herself and a bad luck magnet for everyone else.”
Clark:Hmm, so dating her is not likely to get her attacked?

“I’d hire her with that kind of reputation,” Perry said. “If I could.”
I guess Perry was not there in the taxi hearing Lois's attacks on Linda, but still.

“Perry! You wouldn’t?” Lois gasped. “She’s liable to burn down the Daily Planet.”
Wait, has she burned something down in the past? Is Lois inplying Linda started the hotel fire?

“Geez,” she grumbled. “How many page one Superman stories do we have to get before people realize we’re the better paper?”
That was always a major question in "The Rival", how did people abandon the "Daily Planet" so quickly?

Jimmy scowled. “Well, she still is. Now, they’ve moved to the Lexor. Why call Jimbo in when you have me?” he asked,
Lois needs to learn to stop two-timing people.

Then he realized that she probably hadn’t, because Luthor seemed reluctant to shake Jimbo’s hand when they met at Cat’s ball.
He really is thinking that Lois is willing to use her influence and dating Lex to get just about anything.

“So much for the grieving widow,” Lois said, shaking her head and switching off the television.
Although if she was cheating with Lauderman before Harrison died, why would anyone expect a grieving widow at all?

“It’s more like what we have that they don’t. We have well thought out stories, quality writers, the best editor in the business, and morals,” Lois replied.
I am surprised that Lois "bought with a watch" Lane's claims about "morals" did not get a scoff from Clark.

Clark listened to this conversation with only half an ear. The headline on that morning’s Metropolis Star blared: Chow Marries Exotic Dancer.
How did the Planet miss this one?

“Aren’t you related?” Lois asked.
Interesting place for her to bring that up.

“But I thought we could take this video to Eugene and see if he recognized the man,” Lois said.
Go with Lois Clark, go with Lois.

“Any crueler than sitting on death row for a murder he didn’t commit?” she asked.
Interesting. In canon he was only give a life sentance, not the death penalty.

“You’re right. Okay, you do that. I’m going to send the elevator cable to S.T.A.R. Labs,
Why Star labs? It seems they know it was cut without doing that.

and then check on Cat. I’ll catch up,” he said.
I still wish they would not spend so much time apart.

resting her hand on Clark’s shoulder.
smile1 they are touching. We really need more touching. They are too distant.

“Not from you,” Lois said,
smile1 I am really glad she managed to tell him this. It would make him worry less, except since his main worry is Luthor and not Superman, it won't really help much.

and then pointed at him. “Hey, you know I don’t think we’ve ever done a joint interview with Superman before. Huh? I wonder why that is?”
If she did not know the Secret, she would be on the verge of determining it.

She continued to look at him, and he realized it wasn’t a rhetorical question. “I don’t know. Ex…” He coughed. “And current…”
Well, at least he called himself the current boyfriend, but does he believe it?

“Oh, right,” she scoffed. “And you wanted us all to have dinner together. Ha! I knew that was a bad idea.”
Actually, it would have probably been much better than what actually happened.

After her acceptance of Luthor’s watch, Clark didn’t know if they were still more than partners anymore.
I have to agree it is really hard to trust Lois in this case.

He should just come out and ask her, but not here.
Stop procrastinating Clark.

That night, back at her apartment, he decided. Smiling weakly, he waved as she left.
I hope he does not wimp out, but no longer am really counting on it.

John Pack Lambert