“I’m just asking, Professor, why the data would have changed,”
I am very glad to see Daitch being called out on this. They never explained Nightfall well in canon. Well, actually it is easy to explain, since it especially in Season one they had very low continuity, but still.

Lois repeated, more than slightly annoyed that Daitch had postponed their meeting until late in the afternoon, causing Lois to make two trips to EPRAD,
Considering how little time she has for other things while covering the trial this has to be very annoying.

and that he was now trying to give her the runaround.
Admitting his data mat have been altered by outside sources is not a top goal.

“Well, no...” Professor Daitch said, shifting uncomfortably in his chair. “Not usually.”
See, outside data tampering admitted.

someone at the NY Times came up with the nicknames ‘Nightfall Major’ and ‘Nightfall Minor’ to describe the two versions of the asteroid.
Now what I want to know is the Times or the Daily Planet a more respected newspaper.

Perry:The Daily Planet, of course.

Lois:The Daily Planet. We had the first interview with Superman, we broke his return, we obviously are better.

The nicknames had been picked up by the televisions networks during the previous week and were now considered the official designations for the two versions of Nightfall.
This even explains the intial use of one name without keeping us stuck with that mess.

“We were able to analyze one of the small meteorites, which struck Monday night. Its composite was the same ratio of nickel to iron as shown on the remnants on Superman’s suit…” Daitch paused.
Sounds like she is trying to district Lois from her actual quest.

She didn’t know for what she was hoping. That the Nightfall asteroid was partially composed of Kryptonite,
That would solve some problems, but make bigger ones. Since Clark called her before vanishing, he clearly was not given amnesia by the astroid itself.

thereby proving without a doubt that Lex did not have Kryptonite and was trying to kill Superman.
I half wonder if it should be "was not trying". On a broader note, that would not prove that Luthor did not have Kryptonite, it would just make it possible that Clark was not exposed to Kryptonite by Luthor.

Lois didn’t want to exonerate Lex of this crime.
Well, technically he is not directly responsible for Clark's blackout. Although I guess if the goons had not kidnapped Clark, or Lex had not ordered him dumped and had had him brought to the manor, Clark probably would not have been exposed to the watch.

It would just make her investigation easier if she knew he wasn’t actively trying, or in the planning stages, to kill Superman.
But lack of kryptonite would not even prove that.

Lois looked at him skeptically. “Well, which was it? Nightfall Major changed from its initial course, or your data was wrong? Surely, you wouldn’t have sent Superman into space to collide with Nightfall without double-checking, triple-checking, the data to make sure that Nightfall Major had indeed changed course.”
Daitch:Why not, it took him less energy to go into space than it took us to recheck the data.

The man set the report to the side. “You may have a copy of this report, Ms. Lane, but Dr. Solsvig didn’t reconfirm my later findings.”
Lois:Aha, you rushed the second response.

Her eyes widened. “So, instead of having someone independently check your new findings, you decided to keep the information quiet? For what reason exactly?”
I can see why he postponed the meeting. He was probably trying to think of ways to explain things away and failing miserably.

If Lex and her vision were correct, the impact of such a story could be devastating to Superman as well as EPRAD, and that wasn’t the purpose of this investigation.
smile1 She is working to protect Superman. OK, I guess she has alwasy done that, but there was a very tiny possibility she might stike out at him. OK, not really.

The purpose of this investigation was to see how and possibly why the data changed.
Thus if it works the story will point a finger at Luthor as being to blame.

“A colleague in London,” Daitch replied vaguely.
And who is this "college", and how much was he paid by Luthor?

She didn’t look like a Superman groupie; she seemed awkward, nervous, and unsure if she should be there. Okay, that was how the Superman groupies acted too.
So she was acting like an SM groupie?

“Lois Lane?” the woman guessed with enthusiasm, grabbing Cat’s hand and shaking it. “I should’ve known by your classy outfit that you were her. You were my second choice, being that I know that you often write stories with Mr. Kent.”
I love this paragraph. I really love how Cat is in a situation where it is really hard to respond.

Clark –
Meet me in the conference room. New kidnapping. I’m Lois.
– Cat
clap that has to be the strangest note ever.

Clark:For once I am glad we are keeping me and Lois dating secret. Otherwise I would have to kiss Cat.

Lois:Don't even think about it buster.

Clark raised a brow and walked over to the conference room with a feeling of mystification. Cat, still dressed in one of her ‘snare Arthur Chow’ outfits, was listening attentively to a woman he had never seen before.
You know they really should have done the "Cat confused for Lois" line in this episode.

“This is my partner Clark Kent.
Clark:I am so glad Lois is not within earshot. She would go ballistic if she learnedabout this.

Clark, this is Claire Dawson. Mrs. Dawson’s sister has gone missing.”
This is getting even more intriguing. Now my question is, did this happen in canon, and we just did not learn about it, or is something new occuring because of changed factors?

“A week ago Sunday. The night before Impact Day,” Mrs. Dawson explained, raising a hand to her head. “Or, I guess, technically it was Monday; that night at some point.”
Ah, her sister is being held by Luthor. Although, Hmmm. This is different than the other kidnappings.

He nodded. What a horrible time to lose a child.
Who said anything about a child, it is Mrs. Dawson's sister that is missing. Although it might have been a much younger sister.

“Thirty-four,” Mrs. Dawson said.

Clark’s jaw dropped as his gaze darted to Cat. Thirty-four? Clearly, this woman didn’t belong to the ultra rich set whose children were being kidnapped.
I am not sure why he expected her to.

“Perhaps you can explain what my… partner and I can do for you?” he said, sitting down at the table with them.
Lois:That no good, two-timing, ahrrgh, he is calling Cat his partner.

“Stay-at-home mom,” Claire Dawson corrected. “My son Damien and his baby sister Carrie have been staying with my mother-in-law this week. I wasn’t getting anywhere over the phone and came out here in-person in hopes of finding something, anything.” She shook her head. “I feel as if I’ve been flailing my arms and spinning in circles. I need help.”
She might make more progress if she had contacted Lois. Although I guess Lois does not know that Luthor kept his prisoners.

Clark shot Cat a sharp glance. “I’m sure my case was unique, Ca… er… Lois,” he said with a warning tone.
I wouldn't be. The Boss has lots of peopel he wants to put away.

“It isn’t important,” Clark answered, knowing his experience would dash any hopes Mrs. Dawson might have at finding her sister alive.
He does have a point there.

“He was abducted and left to die in Hob’s Bay,” Cat informed her.
Not helping at all there Cat.

John Pack Lambert