One of those dinners they had shared was for Jimbo’s farewell party when Perry had ordered pizzas for the office. Normally, that wasn’t something Perry would do, but he had sort of adopted Jimmy’s cousin this summer. After James had mentioned that Jimbo’s dad, his Uncle Jack, was a basically a deadbeat, who had chosen his career over raising his kid, the Chief had started seeing his own son, Jerry, in Jimbo. Apparently Jerry had done some rebellious teenage mischief and ended up in juvie, and Perry felt like bonding with Jimbo would make up for not being there for Jerry. Currently, Perry’s son was away at college in Iowa.
I think you want to say "was basically a deadbeat".

After re-reading this part I have decided that the bond formed between Lois and Clark her is one of my favorite parts.

Dressed in her costume, Lois was ready to go on as the spring chicken for the “Down at the Farm” number, when she glanced out of her dressing room curtain to see if anything new was happening with Johnny Taylor. He was sitting at table with some guys, but that wasn’t what caught her eye. She pressed her lips together. Men! Especially one man in particular. Her so-called ‘partner’ was in the club, and he had just walked between her and Johnny Taylor’s table, blocking her view.
I think that should be "at a table".

John Pack Lambert