Bob, I liked the story very much. It was a fun ride watching Clark react and interact with Lois without the 'baggage' of being Superman.

Also, it was fun to see Lois able to relate to the more straight foreward and 'open' Clark. It was mindful of the old comic book story where a magician made Superman 'disappear' which basically caused Clark to forget that he was Superman.

This was set in the old canon, where Clark Kent was actually 'mild-mannered'. The Superman-less Clark was more dynamic and forward. He courted Lois Lane and won her over. It wasn't until they were married that Lois discovered that Clark was actually Superman. He still didn't know. Of course, Lois tracked down the villian who caused the disappearance of Superman and made him 'fix' the situation.

Knowing that Superman would have never married her if he'd known he was Superman, Lois left him note and tried to nobly walk out of his life. Naturally Superman realised that he could no more let Lois walk out of his life than he could stop breathing so him found her and brought her back.

The one quibble I have with the story is, that once Clark knows he was Superman he didn't feel more responsible for all the death and destruction that happened. Intellectually he would know that his injuries, lack of powers, and loss of memory would have precluded his ability to have had any affect on what happened. But Clark/Superman has always been the King of 'if only I had...'. It would have been nice to see Lois (talk?) him out of such nonsense.

I fully expected Martha and Jonathan to reappear somewhere near the end, and their appearance really doesn't affect this story, but will have significant impact on the sequel (which you have no choice but to do). I also expect the sequel to have bring out a real divergence of peoples feelings toward the Man of Steel. Even though it's common knowledge that Luthor was the real cause of all the devastation, there are going to be many who will still blame Superman.

Good story.

Tank (who is sorry for rambling on about the old comic book story, but couldn't help but see the correlations between the two Superman-less Clarks)