Hey guys! I'll throw my 2 cents in here, with the added experience of currently going through the annual awards in my other fandom.

- I definitely agree with DeadlyChakram that Art and Videos should be considered separate categories. It's understandable that there may not be too many of them, but it's just the first year we'll be doing these categories; maybe it's worth taking a shot at it if there are at least 5 of each.

- In my other fandom, Mature and Explicit stories compete in all categories without limitations, and there's also a Best Smut category, which is obviously where they compete against each other. FWIW. There's also a Best Kiss category.

- Another couple of categories we have in my other fandom would translate as Best Clark Characterization and Best Lois Characterization. (They sound familiar, did we ever use to have these?)

- AnnieM answered the question about Best Commenter perfectly. I think it's a good category to have. It encourages people to leave comments, and besides (having just been nominated for it in my other fandom!) I can tell you that it feels not so much as a win for the individual person as a contribution to the community! It's subjective, definitely - one may vote for the person who leaves the most detailed comments; one may vote for the one who SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEES and capslock-smashes; one may vote for the one who leaves a one-liner of a comment on every single fic. But that's the beauty of it.

- I think Best Overall Author would work better as an "Author of the year" award. Someone who either wrote a lot this year, or wrote something FANTASTIC, or anyways any person that you were really looking forward to seeing updates from this year.

- And yes, a Lifetime Achievement Award would be nice, but as it's not as a competitive category, maybe the idea of a larger committee who decides on it would be nice. Obviously can't be awarded to the same person more than once. :p Also, to me it does feel like something to be given either to people who either have retired from fandom entirely, or who are otherwise not likely to be awarded any of the other awards (even if they used to be writers and have many awards).

Overall, I'd like to add this:

Best is subjective, and we all know that. Personally, I have never managed to vote for a winner xD somehow my taste is always so different than the majority's! But that's fine, we all vote with our tastes and that's what gives more flavour to the fandom. smile

I'll come back if I think of more stuff to add!

Last edited by Anna B. the Greek; 12/20/22 09:27 AM.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...