Hi FoLCs!

I also want to chime in with a big Thanks! for all the discussion about the categories.

My own thoughts on the Lifetime award: While I don't have any insight in how e.g. the Oscars or other similar awards do the lifetime-thing, I guess it's more of a consensus-discussion than a vote per-se. It's also not a surprise during the ceremony (you're not nominated in a single year together with some other FoLCs and then one of you wins). So what Sara said about honoring FoLCs who dedicated a lot of time and effort to the community would be the ones eligible. And who to choose, that's tough. For instance, just doing this 10 years in a row and just working through the list of those most deserving it would work, though it might not be the most...I don't know, inspiring? Nah, that's not the right work. Maybe...creative? And simply picking those who are near retirement would also be strange and would hopefully *not* encourage retirement in other FoLCs wink. And what about those who spent 15, 20 years in the early years but drifted away later? For now, we have some truly long-term and special names listed by Sara who are still active, so that question doesn't present itself.

Anyhow, so as to not take Sara's crown for rambling on, a discussion about consensus, probably / perhaps in a committee that is larger than K-Com? Perhaps K-Com plus 2-3 other FoLCs who are well-rooted in the community and optimally a bit of exchange during the years. And not simply a majority vote?

Lastly, could it also be an author with an exceptional body of work? In theory, yes, though for our community it's a bit different than with other awards because we want to honor a FoLC and great authors already receive recognition via the Kerths. So, it's really for the committee to decide on the contribution they want to honor.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.