Bile rose in Clark’s throat, but with an effort he held it down. Lana never did anything without a reason. From what he knew of Daae, she shouldn’t cross him by visiting her ‘ex-boyfriend’. With an effort he composed himself and said, “How did you know I was coming home? Also, how did you locate and enter my apartment? After all, you did get married before I could show you the place.”

A glimmer of genuine concern appeared momentarily in Lana’s eyes; unfortunately as quickly as it appeared, it vanished. He got the impression that for all her self-confidence; she was uncomfortable being alone with him.

Preparing to do battle, she straightened her back and said brusquely, “My call to Pete didn’t go very well, he told me you were in Smallville, but not where. He did mention that you had a place and even gave me the address. It’s unlikely Joe would have room for a houseguest, so Irig’s was the best choice. I called there from my car; as soon as Mary Irig knew who I was she couldn’t hang up fast enough. So, I drove over here and decided to wait.” She held up a lone silver key, tossed it to him, which Clark easily caught and placed it on the bookshelf. “Really Clark, hiding a key in the planter out front is the first place a decent thief would look. You don’t live in Kansas anymore.”

Determined not to be rattled by her reproof, Clark folded his arms defensively and said, “What will your husband think if he discovers you were here?”

Her chin jutted upwards, a gesture of defiance. “Nothing at all, especially since Gregory is aware I’m visiting you. He … we feel it is important to ‘clear the air’.”

“Really? I think that was accomplished already in Zurich and then at the airport when you announced your marriage. You cleared me completely out of your life! When we were on the phone all the time you were in Europe, why did you lie to me?”

Lana’s pretty face twisted and she spoke sharply, “I never lied. There were a number of business contacts that had to be made in order to acquire the pieces necessary for the exhibit. Gregory helped me accomplish that task. Without his connections, locating those pieces and the Napoleon camp chair would have been close to impossible.”

“So, let me get this straight, over the course of a few weeks while ‘pursuing’ these pieces for the Napoleon exhibit the two of you ‘fell in love’?”

“Yes,” she responded flatly.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube