As CJ wiped his hand off, a smile spread across his face. “Is there anything these things won’t get out?” he marveled. Jenny could only shrug. In her experience, emanations from a baby or any other toxic substance, gunpowder included, could be removed from any clothing, upholstery, floor coverings, or any surface imaginable simply through use of a baby wipes. Truly, they were one of the wonders of the modern world.

“If there is I haven’t found it,” she said, her sentence interrupted by the sound of a thud behind them. They both quickly turned, then smiled as they saw who it was. Their visitor’s expression morphed from concern to borderline annoyance as he saw his charges.

“You are aware of the tragic story of the death of Bruce’s parents, aren’t you?” Nightwing asked after a moment as he surveyed the scene. During CJ’s tenure in Gotham, Nightwing had been his partner in crime fighting, taking over on the nights when CJ was unavailable due to a sick kid, date night, or business reasons. They worked together on the more expansive investigations, and had started hanging out more during the daytime hours, though CJ still got the feeling that Dick wasn’t especially comfortable being under the same roof as Bruce Wayne. In all he had become a good friend, and had even developed the ability to tease, though it still didn’t come naturally to him.

“I believe I’ve heard the story one or two hundred times,” CJ answered. Jenny nodded. “A dark alley after a family outing to the movies…”

“You wound up a little less dead than they did,” Nightwing said, then approached the incapacitated robber.

CJ shrugged. “Guess now I don’t have the required tragic backstory to become a superhero,” he said, then stuck out a thumb toward the camera. “The wife took care of the camera, so we’re in the clear.”

“You just can’t stand to have a night off, admit it,” Nightwing said, restraining the robber’s hands and feet.

“I think he just likes to show off,” Jenny said, wrapping her hands around CJ’s arm and winking at Nightwing. “Though I finished him off, so...”

“Chivalry really is dead,” Nightwing said, straightening up, a twinkle in his eye.

“So you’re going to take the credit for this one, I suppose. “ CJ said. “And as much as I’d like to stay and give an official explanation to the cops…maybe join in on some of the fun…”

“Go,” Nightwing said. He was well aware of the plans for the evening, of the reason for their presence at the theater. “I know you have a soiree to get to. Give my best to your Dad.”

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube