Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story - 03/23/17 12:35 PM
Leading up to the Kerths we will be posting one quote from the nominated stories list every day for everyone to guess the story it came from. Comment your answers below.

"I want you to give Clark Kent a big kiss on the lips. At least five seconds long!"

Guess that story!
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story - 03/23/17 12:46 PM
The Loser by Lois_Lane_Fan
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 03/23/17 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mike M
The Loser by Lois_Lane_Fan

Ding Ding! Thanks for playing Mike M smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#2 - 03/24/17 04:11 AM
“Exactly how predictable was that?”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - Hint#1 - 03/24/17 05:21 PM
Since no one has guessed it. Here's a hint:

“Think about it, Lois. Whoever is providing the space station for this kind of research would also get the patents for all the cures that are discovered…”

“I think you’re reading too much into it, Clark. I’ve been doing this a lot longer than you have. I think I can smell a skunk in a rose garden better than you can.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Clark asked defensively.

“It means I have more experience at being an investigative reporter than you do.” Lois shot back, “Don’t get all offended. It’s natural, Clark. You’re a rookie. You make the typical mistakes that any rookie reporter makes.”

“Such as?”

“Such as, getting in over your head. You’re looking for a story where there isn’t one. It’s a predictable rookie mistake.”

“Predictable? How is my having suspicions of Lex Luthor predictable?”

“Because it just is…” Lois argued.

He was angry. He knew he was right and she was just ignoring him. On an impulse, he grabbed her and kissed her. He felt her body stiffen against him for a split-second then succumb to the warm caress of his mouth. He slowly pulled away, “Exactly how predictable was that?”
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story - Hint#1 - 03/25/17 01:43 AM
He was angry. He knew he was right and she was just ignoring him. On an impulse, he grabbed her and kissed her. He felt her body stiffen against him for a split-second then succumb to the warm caress of his mouth. He slowly pulled away, “Exactly how predictable was that?”

Ah, I recognize that scene! That's from Winner Takes All by folc4evernaday smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - Hint#1 - 03/25/17 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by groobie

Ah, I recognize that scene! That's from Winner Takes All by folc4evernaday smile

Ding Ding Ding! smile I was afraid I picked too hard a scene there for a minute. Thanks for playing Groobie.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#3 - 03/25/17 01:56 AM
"The whole idea of superheroes with a secret identity...what if it makes people start asking uncomfortable questions? What if there's a sudden resurgence of people bound and determined to expose us again? You know how close things came for me...several times already."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#3 - Hint#1 - 03/25/17 11:32 PM
Since no one has guessed this yet I'm going to give you the scene. Anyone got any guesses?

He shook his head. "It was terrifying," he said in a lowered tone, mindful of listening ears. Their children did not know of their father's alter ego. "The whole idea of superheroes with a secret identity...what if it makes people start asking uncomfortable questions? What if there's a sudden resurgence of people bound and determined to expose us again? You know how close things came for me...several times already."
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#3 - Hint#1 - 03/25/17 11:55 PM
Ah, that's the one where Clark gets freaked out by watching The Incredibles...let me check...An Incredible Movie Experience by Deadly Chakram smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#3 - Hint#1 - 03/26/17 12:11 AM
Ah, that's the one where Clark gets freaked out by watching The Incredibles...let me check...An Incredible Movie Experience by Deadly Chakram smile

Ding! Ding!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#4 - 03/26/17 03:02 AM
How wrong I was. He was never my rival, though he could have been a formidable one. I misjudged him and his motives from the very beginning.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#4 - Hint#1 - 03/27/17 01:09 AM
No guesses? Okay here's the hint.

How wrong I was. He was never my rival, though he could have been a formidable one. I misjudged him and his motives from the very beginning.
How could I know that under the bulky suits and tacky ties lay a man that was generous, kind, intelligent, passionate and infinitely patient? That no matter how much I tried to ignore him and push him away, he would somehow thread his way into my life? That we would become so entangled that losing him would be like losing myself?
How could I have known everything he would become to me? Partner. Friend. Rescuer, in more ways than one. Best friend. Boyfriend. Lover.
And today we added another thing to the list.
Husband.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#4 - Hint#1 - 03/27/17 03:55 AM
Bump
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story - 03/27/17 04:29 AM
Changing Perspectives by NostalgiaKick, though I admit I had to search for it. whistle
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 03/27/17 04:38 AM
Ding Ding Ding. That's it Groobie. wink
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#5 - 03/27/17 04:41 AM
"Could you take the mask off? It's hard to take you serious with that thing on. I think it's the little pointy ear things. Or maybe the sharpness of the nose. Something,"
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#5 - 03/27/17 05:12 AM
Ah, I immediately recognized that one. I'll give others a shot first, though. smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#5 - 03/28/17 01:48 AM
Ah, I immediately recognized that one. I'll give others a shot first, though. smile

Looks like it's just you and the KCOM crew groobie smile Let the guessing begin. smile
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#5 - 03/28/17 01:52 AM
It's the ever snarky Iron Man in A Stark Conversation by Deadly Chakram. smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#5 - 03/28/17 02:58 AM
It's the ever snarky Iron Man in A Stark Conversation by Deadly Chakram. smile

Yep! A Stark Conversation....A fun JLA meeting.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#6 - 03/28/17 02:59 AM
“That juicy watermelon Maisie gave us yesterday ought to be good and cool by now.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#6 Hint#1 - 03/28/17 06:26 PM
Since we don't have any guesses yet here's the whole scene.

Martha, looked up from knitting a peach-colored, lacy, shawl, and said, “That juicy watermelon Maisie gave us yesterday ought to be good and cool by now.”

Her husband’s mouth began to water at the thought and he replied, “You might be right. A piece of watermelon should be real tasty with a tall glass of lemon iced tea with a sprig or two of fresh mint.”
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#6 Hint#1 - 03/28/17 09:12 PM
I believe Summer by Morgana but I have not checked...
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#6 Hint#1 - 03/29/17 12:18 AM
I believe Summer by Morgana but I have not checked...

That's right. smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#7 - 03/29/17 12:03 PM
“Are you crazy? Are you completely out of your mind? What were you thinking, jumping off the roof like that? All it would’ve taken is someone looking up at the wrong moment, and it’d be out, Clark!”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#7 - Hint #1 - 03/29/17 05:24 PM
The apartment door had barely clicked shut behind them when she rounded on him.

“Are you crazy? Are you completely out of your mind? What were you thinking, jumping off the roof like that? All it would’ve taken is someone looking up at the wrong moment, and it’d be out, Clark!”
He stiffened as the implication of her words sunk in.

“You know.”

“Of course, I know! You have Superman’s suits hanging in your closet, Clark! What, did you think I wouldn’t put two and two together?”

His shoulders slumped. He’d wondered after Perry had found the Suits whether Lois and Perry had bought his explanation. He’d been so panicked at the time that he couldn’t be sure just how convincing his excuse of storing the superhero’s Suits had been. Now, weeks later, he had his answer; Lois had seen straight through him.
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story#7 - Hint #1 - 03/29/17 10:31 PM
Clearing the Air by NostaligiaKick
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#7 - Hint #1 - 03/30/17 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by cuidadora
Clearing the Air by NostaligiaKick

Yep!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#8 - 03/30/17 12:22 AM
Her voice, screaming, “Help, Superman!”

The sound of his chair, scraping backwards against the floor. The smell of stale coffee on the corner of his desk. The cool brush of the bullpen’s air conditioning passing over the hairs on his arm. The sight of Jimmy crossing towards Perry’s office; the scent of the freshly developed photo prints in his hands. The flavor of a speck of powdered sugar stuck to his left back molar. The sensation of his foot hitting the floor as he heads towards the door.

The sound of her heartbeat.
Posted By: LMA Re: Guess That Story#8 - 03/30/17 01:33 AM
That would be 'Filtering Out' by Susan Young smile

Laura
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#8 - 03/30/17 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by LMA
That would be 'Filtering Out' by Susan Young smile

Laura

That is correct!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#9 - 03/30/17 02:35 AM
Who knew that Lex Luthor was marrying such a sex kitten? I bet he doesn’t want the world to know how much of a tramp you are.
I’m selling the negatives to Love Fortress, International.

The pictures will hit newsstands just in time for your wedding. Then again, if you’d rather buy them yourself, I’ll let them go to you for a cool million dollars. LFI will pay me at least half that much, but I’m sure that they’re worth more to you.

You have forty-eight hours to decide.
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story - 03/30/17 04:54 AM
Ack! Blackmail! That's VirginiaR's "Between the Pages" clap
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 03/30/17 11:08 AM
Ack! Blackmail! That's VirginiaR's "Between the Pages" clap

Hehe Right!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#10 - 03/30/17 11:12 AM
“Wrong with you?” Lois asked. “What makes you think there’s something wrong with you?”

Lucy sank to the couch in tears, “I’m pregnant with my best friend’s baby and instead of celebrating I’m over here pushing him away; and I don’t even have a reason anymore.”

“Lucy…”

“There is nothing wrong with him. I mean, anyone would be glad to have him in their life, but for some reason, I can’t understand why he wants me. Why?”

Lois took a seat next to her, “Why wouldn’t he?”

“What?”

“You’re smart, successful, talented,” Lois began, “Why wouldn’t he want to be with you?”

“I’m screwed up,” Lucy said, irritably.

“You’re screwed up?” Lois laughed, bitterly, “I’m screwed up, Luce.” Lois sighed, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, “Between the drama with mom and dad and the divorce and every ex-boyfriend I’ve had that has literally stabbed me in the back one way or another,,, And let’s not forget having my son kidnapped while I was unconscious and having everyone around me try to convince me otherwise, including my own husband. Yeah, I’m screwed up, but you don’t see me sitting here scared to face the world. You forced me to take a chance on Clark and look where it got me. I’m married with a family and I couldn’t be happier. So, I’m going to tell you, Lucy Lane, take a chance. Do you love Jimmy?”

“I don’t know,” Lucy shook her head.

“The fact that we’re having this conversation proves you do know.” Lois cut her off. “Take a chance. This last year hasn’t been easy on either of us, but you can’t give up on life. It’s very lonely.”

“I’m not you,”

“No, you’re my sister and I love you very much.” Lois smiled back at her, “Lex pulled a number on you and you crawled into a shell afraid to face anything that came your way. You pulling away like this and constantly shutting down is only going to give him more power over you from beyond the grave. Is that what you want?”

“This has nothing to do with Lex,” Lucy snapped shakily.

“Doesn’t it?” Lois asked.
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story#10 - 03/30/17 04:53 PM
When Churches Come Crashing Down by creator of this thread folc4evernaday
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#10 - 03/30/17 05:17 PM
When Churches Come Crashing Down by creator of this thread folc4evernaday

That would be correct!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#11 - 03/30/17 05:24 PM
The young man had come a long way in his bare year in Metropolis. From an unknown, relative greenhorn to an award-winning investigative journalist. From a restless traveler seeking his place in the world to a positive force for good. The only thing he hadn’t gotten in hand was his personal life- up until now.

The ceremony over, Perry rose from the Planet’s table and followed his award-winning reporting team to the exit. He’d congratulate Clark again on his award and then head home. Alice never could resist the sight of him in a tux.

Next year, Lois and Clark’s Luthor series would be eligible- and the Kerth for investigative journalism would have both their names on it, of this Perry was sure.

In the meantime, life in the Planet offices was about to become very interesting.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#11 = Hint#1 - 03/31/17 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by folc4evernaday
The young man had come a long way in his bare year in Metropolis. From an unknown, relative greenhorn to an award-winning investigative journalist. From a restless traveler seeking his place in the world to a positive force for good. The only thing he hadn’t gotten in hand was his personal life- up until now.

The ceremony over, Perry rose from the Planet’s table and followed his award-winning reporting team to the exit. He’d congratulate Clark again on his award and then head home. Alice never could resist the sight of him in a tux.

Next year, Lois and Clark’s Luthor series would be eligible- and the Kerth for investigative journalism would have both their names on it, of this Perry was sure.

In the meantime, life in the Planet offices was about to become very interesting.

Since I can't give anything else quote wise without spelling the story out. I'll give you the author: Nostalgiakick

Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#11 = Hint#1 - 03/31/17 01:58 AM
Trying to give others an opportunity...

Changing the Game by NostalgiaKick
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#11 = Hint#1 - 03/31/17 04:43 AM
Since I can't give anything else quote wise without spelling the story out. I'll give you the author: Nostalgiakick
Bwaahaahaaa...yeah, because it was a super-short! Nice clue! laugh
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#11 = Hint#1 - 03/31/17 05:14 AM
Bwaahaahaaa...yeah, because it was a super-short! Nice clue! laugh
huh

What can I say...Couldn't think of anything else.

Trying to give others an opportunity...

Changing the Game by NostalgiaKick

We'll keep playing as many quotes in a day as we can. Just keep guessing :P
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#12 - 03/31/17 05:35 AM
Another voice cut her off, "You know, Ms. Lane, redeeming my husband and helping my daughter and I get our places back on this launch doesn't mean I appreciate a stow away in a place where resupplying is as complicated as *this*." Lois shrank from Mrs. Platt's glare. "You're lucky the room you were in was empty due to Dr. Lyon getting a stomach bug at the last minute." Mrs. Platt folded her arms angrily as she floated in the doorway.

Lois hoped her smile was still winning her points as she reasoned, "Well, I just wanted to report on the launch. I'm fine with going right back down to print the story."

The first voice, a man who appeared to have some authority judging by the insignia on his jumpsuit, snorted derisively. "Ms. Lane was it?" Lois nodded. "Well, Ms. Lane, this initial crew of the Space Station Prometheus all signed on for a minimum of six months of service."

Lois froze, her smile dropping off her face, "But... supplies, surely you get supplies?" In the ensuing silence Lois hunched her shoulders. "Dr. Lyon getting brought up? Anything?" she finished desperately.

The authoritative figure smiled grimly. "Now that there's a crew here, we get *unmanned* supply modules often enough. But those won't even be jettisoned before we're ready to interphase with a manned vehicle to swap out crew."

"Ms. Lane, you've just volunteered your services to the EPRAD space program for six months. And you'll be lucky if they don't have a jail cell waiting for you when you get planet-side."
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#12 - 03/31/17 06:30 AM
"Ms. Lane, you've just volunteered your services to the EPRAD space program for six months."

LOL...I remember that story! Seriously, what did Lois think she was doing? If that Messenger shuttle made it up to the space station with her onboard, how did she ever think she was getting back down to Earth?! Thanks, Lieta, for "It's All About the Timing." smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#12 - 03/31/17 12:09 PM
"Ms. Lane, you've just volunteered your services to the EPRAD space program for six months."

LOL...I remember that story! Seriously, what did Lois think she was doing? If that Messenger shuttle made it up to the space station with her onboard, how did she ever think she was getting back down to Earth?! Thanks, Lieta, for "It's All About the Timing." smile

IKR? Biggest Plot Hole EVER!!!!

You are correct. It's All About Timing by Lieta is the name of this gem.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#13 - 03/31/17 12:13 PM
Scrutinizing Lois, she said, “Honey, I don’t see why you’re here. You look great to me. And what would your daughter think? What type of message are you sending her?”

Lois held back a chuckle, wondering how this woman kept her job. Under different circumstances, she’d even agree with her opinions. Yet her fifteen-year-old daughter, Cassie, completely understand Lois’ actions.

“I hope you’re at least doing this for you and not for some man.”
After the technician performed the injections, she left the room.

Lois unfolded the photo again. It kept her focused.

It wasn’t her appearance in that photo that had frightened her most.

It was Clark’s.
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#13 - 03/31/17 02:04 PM
Ah yes, Lois gets plastic surgery because it's becoming way too obvious that she and Clark aren't aging at the same rate in scifiJoan's "Mirror, Mirror." smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#13 - 03/31/17 03:49 PM
Ah yes, Lois gets plastic surgery because it's becoming way too obvious that she and Clark aren't aging at the same rate in scifiJoan's "Mirror, Mirror." smile

Yep!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#14 - 03/31/17 04:08 PM
Lois observed Clark as he tried to explain his way out of Perry's discovery.

His explanation- that he allowed Superman to use his washer and dryer and stored his spare Suits as the superhero had nowhere to do it himself- was well reasoned. It was even plausible.

She didn't buy it for a second.

His demeanor was too panicked; sitting at the table, with the incriminating Spandex suit draped over one chair, she could see his gaze keep flickering towards it, and his hair stood on end where he’d run his hand through it multiple times.

There had to be another explanation.
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#14 - 03/31/17 05:15 PM
Lois observed Clark as he tried to explain his way out of Perry's discovery.

His explanation- that he allowed Superman to use his washer and dryer and stored his spare Suits as the superhero had nowhere to do it himself- was well reasoned. It was even plausible.

She didn't buy it for a second.

His demeanor was too panicked; sitting at the table, with the incriminating Spandex suit draped over one chair, she could see his gaze keep flickering towards it, and his hair stood on end where he’d run his hand through it multiple times.

There had to be another explanation.

Muddying the Waters by NostalgiaKick
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: Guess That Story#14 - 03/31/17 06:20 PM
Yup!
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Guess That Story#15 - 03/31/17 06:24 PM
They made their way to their target, and Clark scouted the tall, concrete structure with his x-ray vision. "Get ready," he warned. When the coast was clear, he caught his son by the waist and bolted up to the roof. "Hurry!" He opened the bag, setting it down in front of the device mounted there. They worked in tandem, faster than the human eye could see; the boy remembered everything he had been taught. Clark felt more proud of him than words could express.
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: Guess That Story#15 - 03/31/17 10:55 PM
They made their way to their target, and Clark scouted the tall, concrete structure with his x-ray vision. "Get ready," he warned. When the coast was clear, he caught his son by the waist and bolted up to the roof. "Hurry!" He opened the bag, setting it down in front of the device mounted there. They worked in tandem, faster than the human eye could see; the boy remembered everything he had been taught. Clark felt more proud of him than words could express.
Innocents by Queen of the Capes
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#15 - 03/31/17 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
Innocents by Queen of the Capes

Yay! That is correct!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#16 - 04/01/17 12:25 AM
“Well...” Lois leaned back on the arm of the sofa. “Even though I don't love him, we're still very close. He's always been good to me and, like I said, he's safe...”

“Safe,” Clark echoed, bitterly. “Of course.”

She gave him a look that he couldn't quite read. “Superman,” she said, her voice lowering a little bit, “can you keep a secret?”

He fought to keep his expression blank. “I think I can manage it,” he said at last.

“This friend of mine,” she continued, lowering her voice even further so that a normal man would have had to strain to hear, “he kind of...needs...to get married.”

Clark frowned. Did Lois honestly think he was incapable of living alone? Granted, some of the ladies in Research had told him that no woman would have allowed him out of the house with some of the ties he wore, but that was hardly grounds for saying he needed a wife...

“I mean,” she added, apparently seeing the confusion on his face, “he needs to be seen...with...a woman.”

After a few moments, her meaning clicked. Did she think he was—?! Wait a minute... She couldn't possibly! So that must mean she was talking about...wait a minute... His jaw dropped. “Do you mean—?!” he began, but she clapped a hand over his mouth.

“Shh!” she scolded. “Remember, Superman, this is in the strictest confidence.”

He nodded. “Of course,” he said once she removed her hand. “But...Lois, why didn't you tell Clark any of this?”

She folded her arms and gave a snort. “Even if it was my secret to tell, Clark's been acting like a big baby about Bruce ever since he saw us dancing together at Luthor's White Orchid Ball. I get that he's jealous, but he had the gall to insinuate that I don't know my own friend as well as I think I do, just because he thinks the man acts a little suspicious.”

Clark winced. “Well, um, from what I gather, he does act a little suspicious,” he replied. “It probably wouldn't hurt to be careful around him, just in case...”

Lois looked up at him with a hurt expression. “Et tu, Superman?”
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#16 - 04/01/17 03:22 AM
“Well...” Lois leaned back on the arm of the sofa. “Even though I don't love him, we're still very close. He's always been good to me and, like I said, he's safe...”

She gave him a look that he couldn't quite read. “Superman,” she said, her voice lowering a little bit, “can you keep a secret?”

He fought to keep his expression blank. “I think I can manage it,” he said at last.

“This friend of mine,” she continued, lowering her voice even further so that a normal man would have had to strain to hear, “he kind of...needs...to get married.”

Clark frowned. Did Lois honestly think he was incapable of living alone? Granted, some of the ladies in Research had told him that no woman would have allowed him out of the house with some of the ties he wore, but that was hardly grounds for saying he needed a wife...

“I mean,” she added, apparently seeing the confusion on his face, “he needs to be seen...with...a woman.”

After a few moments, her meaning clicked. Did she think he was—?! Wait a minute... She couldn't possibly! So that must mean she was talking about...wait a minute... His jaw dropped. “Do you mean—?!” he began, but she clapped a hand over his mouth.

He nodded. “Of course,” he said once she removed her hand. “But...Lois, why didn't you tell Clark any of this?”

She folded her arms and gave a snort. “Even if it was my secret to tell, Clark's been acting like a big baby about Bruce ever since he saw us dancing together at Luthor's White Orchid Ball. I get that he's jealous, but he had the gall to insinuate that I don't know my own friend as well as I think I do, just because he thinks the man acts a little suspicious.”

Clark winced. “Well, um, from what I gather, he does act a little suspicious,” he replied. “It probably wouldn't hurt to be careful around him, just in case...”

Another Queenie story: Only a Friend

Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#16 - 04/01/17 01:02 PM

Another Queenie story: Only a Friend

That's right, Mike! smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#17 - 04/01/17 01:05 PM
“It seemed like fun at the time. But now…”

Wells rolled his eyes in exasperation. “What is now?” he almost spat.

“Herb, they cancelled the show…”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#17 - Hint#1 - 04/02/17 01:21 AM
“I need your help saving Utopia,” Tempus repeated through gritted teeth. “I know, you and I haven’t always been on the best of terms, but…”

“That is some understatement!” Wells interrupted Tempus angrily, completely losing his British composure. “Have you any idea what you did to Lois and Clark? Do I really have to remind you of the unspeakable crimes that you committed in this room? Resurrecting a dead Lex Luthor…” he pointed towards his thumb, starting his enumeration, “… cloning Lois and having her loose her memory… New Kryptonians… Myrtle Beach…” He balled his hands into fists. “All the crazy stuff I had to type up, because you absolutely had to tamper with the scripts.”

Tempus seemed to shrink more with every accusation Wells threw at him. “I’m sorry, Herb,” he replied sheepishly. “It seemed like fun at the time. But now…”

Wells rolled his eyes in exasperation. “What is now?” he almost spat.

“Herb, they cancelled the show…”
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#17 - Hint#1 - 04/02/17 02:04 AM
It's Tempora Mutantur by basaki smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#17 - Hint#1 - 04/02/17 02:14 AM
It's Tempora Mutantur by basaki smile

Yes! Finally. Yes. This was supposed to be an easy one razz
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#18 - 04/02/17 02:35 AM
I look at Kent, the model of mid-western blandness. His face usually seems to wear either a smile that hints that he knows a secret none of the rest of us know, or an expression of firm determination to accomplish something he deems important.

Except for now.

Right now, he looks almost predatory.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#18 - Hint #1 - 04/02/17 08:15 PM
Clark Kent is seated in the front row, almost directly in my line of sight. I wonder for a moment how he arranged that, then dismiss the thought as unimportant. I glance around him to find his wife – the woman who should have been Mrs. Lex Luthor – but I don’t see her. Perhaps she couldn’t get credentials, perhaps the state wouldn’t allow more than one representative of the Daily Planet, or – and I flatter myself, of course – she couldn’t bear to see me die, to lose me forever.

Warden Castle is droning on about justice or some such drivel. Justice! Were there any real justice in this world, I would be ruling it. All the people, not just those of Metropolis, would have to look up to see me. As I boasted to Kent and the woman whom I still love on the night I met them, I deserve to be the highest—

Wait a moment.

On the night of his first appearance – the night he issued his challenge to me – Superman told me that if I wanted to see him to look up. And as I think back on it now, he was all but throwing my own words back into my face. How could he know what I said—

No. That is impossible. There must be another explanation.

Of course. Lois must have told him. She had to have bragged on me to him during that flight from the EPRAD shuttle launch to the Daily Planet and told him what I said. He must have taken it personally, the over-muscled micro-brained alien.

I look at Kent, the model of mid-western blandness. His face usually seems to wear either a smile that hints that he knows a secret none of the rest of us know, or an expression of firm determination to accomplish something he deems important.

Except for now.

Right now, he looks almost predatory.

He must be anticipating my demise and my permanent absence from his wife’s life. He still fears that she will come to her senses, terminate her relationship with him, and return to my side where she belongs. And it is well that he does worry, for I have no doubt that, given sufficient time, Lois Lane would one day be Lois Lane Luthor. This is Clark Kent’s fear, his nemesis, his nightmare, and I deeply regret that it will end in a few moments.

So why is he staring at me with such intensity?

The speaker inside my chamber draws my attention. Castle has just informed the small group that I have no last words to share, as if I would grant them the satisfaction of hearing them. He also says that all legal appeals have been exhausted, and that despite multiple protests from anti-capital punishment groups, the execution will proceed as planned.

Then he turns to me and stares at me through the window. “May God have mercy on your soul, Alexander Luthor,” he intones.
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story#18 - Hint #1 - 04/02/17 09:24 PM
Needed the hint, but it's End of an Era by Terry Leatherwood.
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: Guess That Story#18 - Hint #1 - 04/02/17 11:22 PM
Needed the hint, but it's End of an Era by Terry Leatherwood

Yes!

Next quote, coming right up...
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Guess That Story#19 - 04/02/17 11:24 PM
He set down the bag between them. “Listening to people. Investigating. Getting to the heart of a problem. Finding solutions. Informing the public of impending dangers. Helping people,” he went on. “You know, being a journalist.”

“That’s what you do best?” she probed in a teasing tone, so he wouldn’t know how dead serious she was.

“It’s what we do best,” he corrected.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#19 - Hint #1 - 04/03/17 01:38 PM
He set down the bag between them. “Listening to people. Investigating. Getting to the heart of a problem. Finding solutions. Informing the public of impending dangers. Helping people,” he went on. “You know, being a journalist.”

“That’s what you do best?” she probed in a teasing tone, so he wouldn’t know how dead serious she was.

“It’s what we do best,” he corrected.

Smart man.

She decided to play devil’s advocate as she took another chip. “And politicians don’t do any of that stuff?”

He pulled out two sodas from his bag and passed one over to her. “Sometimes.” He granted politicians that much, which was more than Lois was willing to do. “But I feel that other things get in the way.”

Lois took a sip of her soda. “You mean like rules.”

“I follow the rules, Lois. You’re the one who breaks them.”

Touché.

She shrugged, admitting nothing.

Setting down his soda, Clark shifted in his seat so that he was facing her directly. He lifted his hands so that they were parallel between them, and then bent his fingers towards the other hand at a ninety-degree angle. “Politicians have to work within strict confines…” The Law. “And I like our freedom to be able to work outside of that.”

She smiled. “In other words, you like working outside the box.”

His eyes twinkled in the darkness as he smiled. She had never noticed what a striking shade of brown they were; almost the same color as freshly toiled earth.

“Exactly.” He chuckled. “You’d be surprised at how claustrophobic I can be.”

Lois set down her soda and picked up the bag of chips.

She was glad to hear that Clark wasn’t another slimeball after all.

“How about you?” he asked, pulling out another bag of chips. “Politics in your future?”

Lois laughed. “Nah! Too many meetings.”

Plus, she didn’t want anyone digging around in her past.

Maybe they both were good at shoveling manure. Her more metaphorically than him.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#20 - 04/03/17 07:48 PM
Moving on to Quote #20 Will give the answer on Friday if no one guesses #19 by then.

"And then something happened that could only be magic. Maybe it was Mxyzptlk or Baron Sunday's doing, I don't know. But he started to grow big -- really, really big. And he changed shape. He turned into a huge building that blended in with his surroundings. His flunkies transported the artwork into the building. As soon as the lackeys left, I went in to explore. Then the walls started closing in and I blacked out. I woke up about an hour ago and saw the walls expanding. I raced out of the building to find that I wasn't in Metropolis anymore. It was a good thing I did, too, since just as I left, I saw the henchmen approach the building. I hid and watched as they took the artwork outside. Then I left to figure out where I was. I found a money changer so I could call you from a pay phone."

Clark sighed and repeated, "Thank God you're all right." Then the implications of what she said dawned on him. "So, you're telling me that Nestor was able to smuggle the stolen goods out of country because he is …"

"That's right. He's a werehouse."
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#20 - 04/03/17 08:01 PM
Moving on to Quote #20 Will give the answer on Friday if no one guesses #19 by then.

"And then something happened that could only be magic. Maybe it was Mxyzptlk or Baron Sunday's doing, I don't know. But he started to grow big -- really, really big. And he changed shape. He turned into a huge building that blended in with his surroundings. His flunkies transported the artwork into the building. As soon as the lackeys left, I went in to explore. Then the walls started closing in and I blacked out. I woke up about an hour ago and saw the walls expanding. I raced out of the building to find that I wasn't in Metropolis anymore. It was a good thing I did, too, since just as I left, I saw the henchmen approach the building. I hid and watched as they took the artwork outside. Then I left to figure out where I was. I found a money changer so I could call you from a pay phone."

Clark sighed and repeated, "Thank God you're all right." Then the implications of what she said dawned on him. "So, you're telling me that Nestor was able to smuggle the stolen goods out of country because he is …"

"That's right. He's a werehouse."

I remember the pun distinctly. The Case of the Missing Artwork by Lynn S.M.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#20 - 04/03/17 08:04 PM
That is correct!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#21 - 04/03/17 08:10 PM
“Huh? How can anything be both alive and dead at the same time? And don’t you dare say a word about zombies!”

Clark laughed. “The quantum physics behind it isn’t the point. The point is that if someone were afraid the cat might die, they might never open the box. By keeping the box closed, the cat would remain alive, after a fashion. But it would never get a chance to enjoy a full life. And eventually, the air would run out. If someone were afraid a relationship might die, they might choose never to give it a chance, either.

“Now do you see why I want to call the cat, ‘Schrödinger’? Lois, he’s very much alive, and it’s because of you. You opened your heart to him and because of that, he will stay alive.

“Lois, I don’t know what the future holds; no one does, not even Superman. But one thing I can promise you – if you keep your door open, you won’t lose me. Whatever else we may or may not be to each other, I will always be your friend.”

How could Clark know her better than she knew herself? How could he put into words so clearly exactly what she was feeling, but could not, herself, articulate?

Before she knew it, she was in his arms, happily ignoring Schrödinger’s mews for attention.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#21 Hint #1 - 04/04/17 02:45 AM
“Huh? How can anything be both alive and dead at the same time? And don’t you dare say a word about zombies!”

Clark laughed. “The quantum physics behind it isn’t the point. The point is that if someone were afraid the cat might die, they might never open the box. By keeping the box closed, the cat would remain alive, after a fashion. But it would never get a chance to enjoy a full life. And eventually, the air would run out. If someone were afraid a relationship might die, they might choose never to give it a chance, either.

“Now do you see why I want to call the cat, ‘Schrödinger’? Lois, he’s very much alive, and it’s because of you. You opened your heart to him and because of that, he will stay alive.

“Lois, I don’t know what the future holds; no one does, not even Superman. But one thing I can promise you – if you keep your door open, you won’t lose me. Whatever else we may or may not be to each other, I will always be your friend.”

How could Clark know her better than she knew herself? How could he put into words so clearly exactly what she was feeling, but could not, herself, articulate?

Before she knew it, she was in his arms, happily ignoring Schrödinger’s mews for attention.

This one is by Lynn S.M.
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story#21 Hint #1 - 04/04/17 12:18 PM
The Naming of Cats by Lynn S.M.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#21 Hint #1 - 04/04/17 12:19 PM
The Naming of Cats by Lynn S.M.

That's right!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#22 - 04/04/17 01:06 PM
My very name should be branded across the universe!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#22 Hint #1 - 04/04/17 05:49 PM

You see, Superman thinks of himself as untouchable. Above the laws of life and death. A god. I knew it would never cross his mind that a "mere mortal" like myself could ever take him down.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#23 - 04/05/17 04:02 PM
Clark asked me to marry him.

He loves me, and I love him too. More than I ever thought- ever dreamed- possible. But is that enough?

If Clark wasn’t Superman, this decision would be easy.

Funny how things change. Two years ago, a year ago even, I would have said that Superman was the prize. Now Superman is the wedge that may keep Clark and I apart.
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#23 - 04/05/17 04:50 PM
Clark asked me to marry him.

He loves me, and I love him too. More than I ever thought- ever dreamed- possible. But is that enough?

If Clark wasn’t Superman, this decision would be easy.

Funny how things change. Two years ago, a year ago even, I would have said that Superman was the prize. Now Superman is the wedge that may keep Clark and I apart.

Now this one is the easy one: Yes or No by NostalgiaKick

Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#23 - 04/05/17 04:57 PM
That's right!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#24 - 04/05/17 05:00 PM
Am I the only one facing this choice? I blanch at the thought that I’m not the only one of five, that other ones are in the concentric circles that surround me. Sisters in a statistic that is far too large, that never seems to shrink, that only changes by face and by name. A shared silence that rarely takes voice, because the words are too hard to say and fall on deaf ears anyway.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#25 - 04/06/17 04:33 AM
“How’d they get my picture, and why’d they paste my face on that dude?”

“That’s not you. His name is Superman. Get this: He ate a bomb and then flew the Prometheus into space. *He* flew it -- no plane, no jetpack, no nuthin’. Just him.”

After Barry looked above the picture to verify that the paper wasn’t really the National Whisper, he said, “Someone at the paper’s pranking us.”

“It’s not April. And they wouldn’t do that even then; they only print the truth.”

“So he’s a magician. If he can pull a trick like that, he’ll become bigger ‘n Houdini. I wonder if there’s any money in being a famous magician’s look-alike? Think I’ll check out one of them -- what-do-ya-call-ems? -- doubles agencies. Could be big money here. Thanks for calling me in, babe. I owe ya one.”
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Guess That Story#22 Hint #1 - 04/06/17 05:52 AM

You see, Superman thinks of himself as untouchable. Above the laws of life and death. A god. I knew it would never cross his mind that a "mere mortal" like myself could ever take him down.

Since no one got this one, I'll answer. Veni, Vidi, Vici by me.
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#22 Hint #1 - 04/06/17 06:22 AM
Two stories from the Original/Supporting Character category:
1 of 5 by Susan Young
Rising Star by Lynn S.M.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story - 04/06/17 04:22 PM
Yes, Yes and Yes those are all correct. Come on guys voting opens up this weekend smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#26 - 04/06/17 05:08 PM
"But what's the point?" Lois pressed.
Clark scratched his head. "I'm not sure what you mean. It's a game, Lois. The point is to have fun. And, I suspect, the game is trying to get people up off their couches and walking."
We will continue to play Guess That Story throughout voting. Once voting closes we will announce the winners of Guess That Story for 2017.

The Winner will get to choose one of the following:

A custom L&C desktop (or mobile device) wallpaper
A custom L&C video with the song of your choice
A custom L&C icon

Made by me. smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#27 - 04/06/17 05:53 PM
Clark shook his head. "Mom's first reaction to Mayson knowing was to try and enroll me in the witness protection program. Or close enough to it. And, before you ask, I'm not joking."
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story#26 - 04/06/17 06:10 PM
#26 is Superman Go by Deadly Chakram
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#26 - 04/07/17 02:53 AM
#26: That is correct!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#28 - 04/07/17 02:54 AM
"This is really typical. Every time we have a good day, some villain turns up to ruin it," Lois interrupted him, annoyed. "So, pray tell me what is Tempus up to now?"

Now, it was the third Wells' turn to clean his glasses. "I don't think that this is Tempus' doing," he said softly.

"It isn't?" Clark asked incredulously.

"It seems like there are three different disruptions in time. That would explain why three versions of me are here at the same time," the second Wells explained. "Even Tempus can't be at several places at once."

"Great!" Lois groaned, exasperated. "Are you telling me that instead of one lunatic there are three of them?"

"Well, unfortunately, yes," the first Wells replied, blushing. "Like I said, I made a terrible mistake. I thought that by letting you raise this kid, Utopia would forever be safe."

Lois looked at the child in her arms with a frown. "Okay, I'm not sure I really want to know, but who exactly am I holding in my arms?"

H.G. Wells turned beet root red. "Ah...well..." he squirmed. "Tempus."

"You've got to be kidding me!" four Kents said in unison.
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#28 - 04/07/17 04:18 AM
There's a prize?! This game just got real!

27: Well, Mayson knows Clark's secret in Proposed Ignorance by Deadly Chakram, so I'm going to take a guess on that one.

28: There's a comedy with all of those characters, it was super-short... /groobie scans nominee list / It's Impossible by bakasi
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#29 - 04/07/17 04:50 AM
“It’s just… tonight. I had the weirdest feeling. Looking at everyone in there, how I’ve spent each New Year with them. And I just thought about the drastic differences. When I was growing up, it was never so loud and happy. More often than not, we had very quiet, sad December thirty-firsts, followed by a similar January first. Not much to it. A lot of times, I spent it just like this— alone, looking out at the stars.”

His heart clenched at her pain. He knew things were better now between Lois and her parents, but every time he was reminded of her childhood, he had a moment of irrational anger flare up inside his chest. He gripped her tighter against him. “I’m sorry, honey. But we’ve done well, haven’t we? I mean, look at everyone in there.”

Clark turned them both around to look inside the warmly lit brownstone, watch as Jimmy refreshed all the adults’ wine glasses and the kids snuck some more candy. Lois grinned widely and spun around in his arms to face him. “We’ve done fantastic, Clark. That’s what I’m saying. This used to be such a hard day for me, and the fact that now we get to have this? It’s incredible. I just think I appreciate it more.”

His smile could have cracked his face if it got any wider. “The same goes for me, you know. I spent a lot of new years wondering about my biological parents and if they missed me, or if this was finally going to be the year I fit in. But I didn’t really have that feeling until I met you. And now look: I’ve got a ton of family. You have no idea what that means to an adopted child.”

His wife’s eyes teared up. “I guess we’re meant to be or something, then.”

“I guess so,” Clark replied, wrinkling his nose with his smile.
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#29 - 04/07/17 04:56 AM
Easy...Countdown by Mouserocks smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#28 - 04/07/17 05:30 AM
There's a prize?! This game just got real!

27: Well, Mayson knows Clark's secret in Proposed Ignorance by Deadly Chakram, so I'm going to take a guess on that one.

28: There's a comedy with all of those characters, it was super-short... /groobie scans nominee list / It's Impossible by bakasi

Haha! Yes and Yes.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#29 - 04/07/17 04:07 PM
Yup!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#30 - 04/07/17 04:08 PM
Lois froze and stared at the hand on her shoulder. In an effort to order her thoughts she ran through her and her partner's code in her head. One: pull back, Two: meet at the Planet, Three: meet at whichever partner's apartment, Four: all clear. Bracketing the taps were squeezes to signal the start and end of the signal. Not even Jimmy knew this code as it was reserved for times where they couldn't rely on verbal or visual cues which normally, for them, meant either they were undercover or somewhere dark. They had each *promised* to share the signals with *no one*. Taking in a shuddering breath she returned her gaze to the superhero's, "Clark?!"
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#30 - 04/07/17 04:12 PM
Lois froze and stared at the hand on her shoulder. In an effort to order her thoughts she ran through her and her partner's code in her head. One: pull back, Two: meet at the Planet, Three: meet at whichever partner's apartment, Four: all clear. Bracketing the taps were squeezes to signal the start and end of the signal. Not even Jimmy knew this code as it was reserved for times where they couldn't rely on verbal or visual cues which normally, for them, meant either they were undercover or somewhere dark. They had each *promised* to share the signals with *no one*. Taking in a shuddering breath she returned her gaze to the superhero's, "Clark?!"

That Old Code of Ours by Lieta
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#30 - 04/07/17 05:08 PM
Yep!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#31 - 04/07/17 05:10 PM
A hand clasped him on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, Mike," said a familiar voice. "You'll be seeing plenty of me."
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story#31 - 04/07/17 05:23 PM
The Assignment by Deadly Chakram
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#31 - 04/07/17 07:26 PM
Correct!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#32 - 04/07/17 07:45 PM
But no, she no more belonged in his champagne and caviar world than he did in her beer and pizza one. Besides there were times when she detected flashes of something almost sinister in his eyes which gave her the shivers. It was better for all concerned if they remained polite acquaintances.
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story - 04/08/17 04:21 PM
Dang it! I know this! I know this quote!!! But which story? Arrrrggggghhhh wallbash wallbash wallbash

Edit: Okay, I know Lois is talking about Lex, so I clicked on every nominee that has Lex in and finally found the answer: Dance With Me by Morgana smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 04/08/17 07:25 PM
Dang it! I know this! I know this quote!!! But which story? Arrrrggggghhhh wallbash wallbash wallbash

Edit: Okay, I know Lois is talking about Lex, so I clicked on every nominee that has Lex in and finally found the answer: Dance With Me by Morgana smile

Haha! Yes, that is correct. Alright we're fixing to repeat some stories on the next few b/c they're pretty long. I'm gonna post a few at a time. Be sure to note what # you're answering for.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#33 - 04/08/17 07:28 PM
“So, what happened with your date the other night?”

Lucy smiled, laughing lightly at Lois’ obvious change of subject. “It was good. His name is Alexander. He’s actually a bit of a celebrity here in Metropolis.” Lucy sighed, “I really like him. He’s really sweet and he’s willing to take things slow.”

Lois rolled her eyes, “That’s translation for ‘if you won’t give it to them; they have women that will.’ I don’t know an Alexander. Are you sure he’s a celebrity?” She took a sip of her coffee.

“Oh, you probably know him as ‘Lex’…” Lucy explained.

Lois spat her coffee out. “Wh-What?” She couldn’t believe her ears.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, you’re, uh …Dating...Lex?”

Lucy nodded innocently, “Yeah. Lex Luthor. He’s really sweet.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#34 - 04/08/17 07:33 PM
“I’ve always been such a good judge of character,” Lois wailed to Perry.

Clark stiffened as her words twisted the knife she’d plunged into his heart, slamming him back to the reality of their situation. Such a good judge of character. Such a good judge that she’d refused to listen to Clark when he’d warned her about Luthor. Such a good judge that she would trust Luthor’s word over his. Such a good judge that she would love Superman even if he were “an ordinary man living an ordinary life.”

“Oh, Lois,” Clark murmured. She never could be wrong. He knew she was far from as confident as she portrayed herself. She was obviously hurting and a part of him longed to sweep her up into his arms and shelter her from the pain he knew she was feeling. Normally, he would have been able to push his emotions aside and do just that. However, the fact that she hadn’t married Luthor didn’t change his own personal hell: half of him her “god in a cape” that she was “so completely in love with” and half of him the hack from Nowheresville that she “just didn’t feel that way about.” They’d saved her from Luthor, but he had no idea what to do next.

“Where’s Clark?” she cried.

Clark stayed where he was.

“We’re not sure, honey. We haven’t seen him in two days,” Perry said somberly, pulling Lois into a hug.

The crowd gasped and pointed up. Clark couldn’t see anything from where he stood.

“Lex! No!” Lois cried.

Luthor must be in trouble. Clark tried to lift off, but his body was as weighted as his heart.

Lois hid her face against Perry. Luthor’s body thumped to the concrete.

It was over.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#35 - 04/08/17 07:35 PM
Lois bit her lower lip. He really didn’t remember? He didn’t remember taking her into the conference room, locking the door, shutting all the blinds and making love to her for the first time in over five months….

“Lois?”

“Huh?” She gave him a weak smile.

“Where were you?”

“Oh, just somewhere else.” She muttered. “Somewhere else.”

“Do you remember what all happened after the bank alarm?” He asked.

“Well, we were really busy….at the Planet.”

‘In the conference room.’

“We were working on the follow-ups…”

‘In the archives…’

“We…we…were …just really…REALLY busy.”

Clark looked at her cautiously, “So, no Superman the rest of the night?”

'Not if you count him taking you on the ceiling…'

“No, just….work…” She got up and headed for the coffee maker to begin brewing some coffee. She could still feel his eyes on her.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#36 - 04/08/17 07:37 PM
She took his hands in hers and Clark's nervousness grew, despite the fact that her touch always soothed him.

"I can't live without you in my life," she said, gazing into his eyes. "I need you, Clark. Today, tomorrow, always. I know this seems crazy and impulsive. But...I've been thinking long and hard about this, Clark. This is what I want. I'm not jumping into this head first without checking the water level first. Please, believe me, Clark."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#37 - 04/08/17 07:39 PM
As CJ wiped his hand off, a smile spread across his face. “Is there anything these things won’t get out?” he marveled. Jenny could only shrug. In her experience, emanations from a baby or any other toxic substance, gunpowder included, could be removed from any clothing, upholstery, floor coverings, or any surface imaginable simply through use of a baby wipes. Truly, they were one of the wonders of the modern world.

“If there is I haven’t found it,” she said, her sentence interrupted by the sound of a thud behind them. They both quickly turned, then smiled as they saw who it was. Their visitor’s expression morphed from concern to borderline annoyance as he saw his charges.

“You are aware of the tragic story of the death of Bruce’s parents, aren’t you?” Nightwing asked after a moment as he surveyed the scene. During CJ’s tenure in Gotham, Nightwing had been his partner in crime fighting, taking over on the nights when CJ was unavailable due to a sick kid, date night, or business reasons. They worked together on the more expansive investigations, and had started hanging out more during the daytime hours, though CJ still got the feeling that Dick wasn’t especially comfortable being under the same roof as Bruce Wayne. In all he had become a good friend, and had even developed the ability to tease, though it still didn’t come naturally to him.

“I believe I’ve heard the story one or two hundred times,” CJ answered. Jenny nodded. “A dark alley after a family outing to the movies…”

“You wound up a little less dead than they did,” Nightwing said, then approached the incapacitated robber.

CJ shrugged. “Guess now I don’t have the required tragic backstory to become a superhero,” he said, then stuck out a thumb toward the camera. “The wife took care of the camera, so we’re in the clear.”

“You just can’t stand to have a night off, admit it,” Nightwing said, restraining the robber’s hands and feet.

“I think he just likes to show off,” Jenny said, wrapping her hands around CJ’s arm and winking at Nightwing. “Though I finished him off, so...”

“Chivalry really is dead,” Nightwing said, straightening up, a twinkle in his eye.

“So you’re going to take the credit for this one, I suppose. “ CJ said. “And as much as I’d like to stay and give an official explanation to the cops…maybe join in on some of the fun…”

“Go,” Nightwing said. He was well aware of the plans for the evening, of the reason for their presence at the theater. “I know you have a soiree to get to. Give my best to your Dad.”
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#37 - 04/08/17 09:56 PM
As CJ wiped his hand off, a smile spread across his face. “Is there anything these things won’t get out?” he marveled. Jenny could only shrug. In her experience, emanations from a baby or any other toxic substance, gunpowder included, could be removed from any clothing, upholstery, floor coverings, or any surface imaginable simply through use of a baby wipes. Truly, they were one of the wonders of the modern world.

“If there is I haven’t found it,” she said, her sentence interrupted by the sound of a thud behind them. They both quickly turned, then smiled as they saw who it was. Their visitor’s expression morphed from concern to borderline annoyance as he saw his charges.

“You are aware of the tragic story of the death of Bruce’s parents, aren’t you?” Nightwing asked after a moment as he surveyed the scene. During CJ’s tenure in Gotham, Nightwing had been his partner in crime fighting, taking over on the nights when CJ was unavailable due to a sick kid, date night, or business reasons. They worked together on the more expansive investigations, and had started hanging out more during the daytime hours, though CJ still got the feeling that Dick wasn’t especially comfortable being under the same roof as Bruce Wayne. In all he had become a good friend, and had even developed the ability to tease, though it still didn’t come naturally to him.

“I believe I’ve heard the story one or two hundred times,” CJ answered. Jenny nodded. “A dark alley after a family outing to the movies…”

“You wound up a little less dead than they did,” Nightwing said, then approached the incapacitated robber.

CJ shrugged. “Guess now I don’t have the required tragic backstory to become a superhero,” he said, then stuck out a thumb toward the camera. “The wife took care of the camera, so we’re in the clear.”

“You just can’t stand to have a night off, admit it,” Nightwing said, restraining the robber’s hands and feet.

“I think he just likes to show off,” Jenny said, wrapping her hands around CJ’s arm and winking at Nightwing. “Though I finished him off, so...”

“Chivalry really is dead,” Nightwing said, straightening up, a twinkle in his eye.

“So you’re going to take the credit for this one, I suppose. “ CJ said. “And as much as I’d like to stay and give an official explanation to the cops…maybe join in on some of the fun…”

“Go,” Nightwing said. He was well aware of the plans for the evening, of the reason for their presence at the theater. “I know you have a soiree to get to. Give my best to your Dad.”

Gotham Nights by Cindy (CLeuch)
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story - 04/08/17 11:45 PM
#33 is Winner Takes All by folc4evernaday

#34 is Ambivalence by nivafrer
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 04/09/17 01:38 AM
cuidadora, yes and yes

Mike M, yes.

Anyone have any guesses for 35 and 36?
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story - 04/09/17 03:35 AM
#35 When Churches Come Crashing Down by folc4evernaday
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 04/09/17 04:57 AM
Yes to #35 cuidadora.

Anyone want to guess #36?
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#38 - 04/09/17 01:36 PM
“Who are you…”

“…talking to?”

Lois looked at Clark, who looked right back at her as they both hung up their phones. It was evident from his expression that they had both finished briefing Perry on their EPA investigation in Smallville, but with oddly contradictory conclusions. Lois found it strange that Clark, who had suggested this story in the first place, seemed so ready to give up on it.

“Something’s clearly going on at the Irig farm. We need to get back out there and do some more digging,” Lois said.

Clark’s mouth formed into a slight frown, and then he shifted his eyes to look out the kitchen window. “Yeah, okay,” he said with a distinct lack of enthusiasm. He paused for a moment before adding, “It’s going to start getting dark soon. I don’t think there’s anything more we can do tonight.”

Lois sighed. “You’re probably right.” She straightened taller as she said with determination, “First thing tomorrow.”

Clark turned to face her and blinked as if he was dismissing a thought. Then he grinned widely with a shake of his head. “Second thing tomorrow. No way I’m missing Mom’s breakfast.”
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#38 - 04/09/17 06:08 PM
36 is Proposed Ignorance by Deadly Chakram
38 is the very beginning of one of my stories, but it seems like cheating for me to get credit for identifying it wink
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#38 - Hint #1 - 04/09/17 06:17 PM
36 is Proposed Ignorance by Deadly Chakram
38 is the very beginning of one of my stories, but it seems like cheating for me to get credit for identifying it wink
36 - Yes! That is correct.

38 - We will call that a Hint for all the other players. wink Anyone wanna give it a shot?

It's a Groobie/ Susan Young story. smile No more hints after this. smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#39 - 04/09/17 06:21 PM
Lois was frowning, "Incompatible? What would make you give up someone you love?"

Clark sighed, he was going to have to dredge up some ghosts it seemed like. Well, he did still owe Lois for sharing her experiences with Claude and Paul he guessed. He scrubbed a hand through his hair, "Well, take my high school girlfriend, for example."

"Rachel Harris?" Lois cut in sharply.

Clark blinked, "Uh no. Lana. Lana Lang." Off Lois' look of total confusion he pinched the bridge of his nose before continuing, "Lana and I were childhood sweethearts. Our parents got along so we knew each other as children, and Smallville's only got one school of each level so of course we saw each other in school. We'd always been close, and by 15 we were dating, and 'going steady' almost immediately." He glanced up at his partner and noticed her jaw was loose and she looked utterly appalled. He frowned at her for a bit before continuing his story, "But then came college plans, carrier dreams... Lana wanted to stay in Smallville and raise a large family on either her parent's farm or her husband's."

His head tilted as he remembered how trapped he'd felt in Smallville at 17. He'd felt the stifling shame of constant secrecy with people he'd known his entire life combined with a constant need to *belong* somewhere that neither the farm nor the town could alleviate. "I wanted to go off to college, and I'd already been bitten by the wander-lust that carried me on between college and my interview with Perry." Clark cleared his head, "By winter break our senior year Lana and I had both realized we wanted different things in life. I think most of the town was stunned when their 'golden couple' broke up. But by senior prom she was with another friend of ours, Pete Ross (to whom she's now married) and I went with Rachel."

Lois looked mystified, "There was no fight? No angsty breakup?" she looked at him in blank incomprehension, "no awkwardness when you see each other now?"

Clark shook his head. "No, we're still friends, even though we lost touch eventually. She and Pete married by age 20 and both of them exchanged letters with me all through college. Once I was traveling, of course, it was harder to keep contact, but by then they were busy with other things too. She'd just had her third baby, and first girl, before the mess with Trask or you'd have probably met her at the corn festival."

"Three kids?!" Lois looked horrified by the prospect and Clark couldn't suppress a wry grin. But then Lois seemed to push the thought out of her head. She thought for a moment before hesitantly asking, "So, you two just realized you couldn't make it work?"
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#40 - 04/09/17 06:30 PM
Hattie asked, “Have you heard about the new superheroes?”

Lara asked, “Who hasn’t?”

Morgana replied, wistfully, “Yeahhhh, isn’t Kam-El just a dreamboat?”

Hattie replied, “I couldn’t tell. The pictures I’ve seen weren’t good enough to tell.”

Morgan let out a sigh and said, “Trust me, he is.”

Hattie was more than a little curious and asked, “How do you know?”

Morgan was cast back in her memory, “It was the Fourth of July, we were on a cruise. The ship was in trouble. Some of us were thrown over the side. Kam’El and Ultra Woman 2 flew in to our rescue.”

Hattie interrupted Morgana, “You saw them flying?”

Morgana replied, “It sure looked like it to me. They came diving out of the sky and dove in near us so that they could rescue us. Anyhow, they got us all back on the ship and then Superman and Ultra Woman started to move the ship. I was almost thrown over the side again. Kam-El caught me. He wrapped those big strong arms around me and made me feel safe. When it was all over, I thanked him.”

Hattie, let out a breathy, “Wow!”

Seeing her response, Morgana decided to really blow her away and said, in a more matter-of-fact tone “That’s when I kissed him.”

Hattie felt light headed as she asked, in a raised tone, “You did what?”

The study hall monitor noted Hattie’s raised voice and said, “Not so loud.”

“I kissed him. To thank him … for saving me.”

Hattie complained, “I’m the investigative reporter and I keep missing him. I’m never there when he’s around.”

Lara asked, “What about Ultra Woman 2? What is she, chopped liver?”

Hattie looked at her and replied, “She’s another girl.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#41 - 04/09/17 06:32 PM
"Take the boy," she urged the other woman. "Take my Kal. Be good to him. Please. Love him. I'm so sorry, Kal. I'm sorry. I'm so..."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#42 - 04/09/17 06:34 PM
“You’re supposed to be my friend,” she says furiously, her voice low, crackling with intensity that usually compels him ever closer but now only lashes out at him, driving him back and away. “You’re my friend, and you threw…that…at me anyway!”

He swallows back his immediate retort (you are my friend, and yet you didn’t even give me a chance), his pleading explanation (Luthor is so dangerous, so deadly, and I couldn’t make you see it), his careful justification (I have been holding it back for so long that I decided to finally be brave and for once in my life fight instead of run), and says nothing at all. The truth is that he knows he shouldn’t have told her (knows she doesn’t love him), but he convinced himself that maybe she did feel more for him (she trusted him, after all, more than anyone else in her life, and that had to count for something), that maybe hearing he loved her would make her stop and see things differently. He’d told himself he was doing the brave thing, the right thing, and that even if it didn’t turn out the way he so desperately wanted, at least she’d know.

And even now, even after all the pain the last thirty-six hours have brought him, he can’t bring himself to apologize for letting her know she is loved. If she is waiting for an apology, or for him to take it back, then she will be waiting a long time.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#43 - 04/09/17 06:36 PM
Abruptly the sound of the aged elevator doors open and out stepped the most gorgeous example of masculinity Lois had seen in ages. He wore an out-of-date navy blue suit which had seen better days, but the brilliant white shirt and outrageous purple and yellow tie made up for the suit. She looked down at his old shoes and noted they had been buffed to a spit polish shine. This quick observation told Lois he took pride in being neat and tidy, which was more than what she could say for a number of men in Metropolis these days.

“Oh my…,” she whispered reverently. “Hubba. Hubba.”
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#43 - 04/09/17 06:42 PM
Abruptly the sound of the aged elevator doors open and out stepped the most gorgeous example of masculinity Lois had seen in ages. He wore an out-of-date navy blue suit which had seen better days, but the brilliant white shirt and outrageous purple and yellow tie made up for the suit. She looked down at his old shoes and noted they had been buffed to a spit polish shine. This quick observation told Lois he took pride in being neat and tidy, which was more than what she could say for a number of men in Metropolis these days.

“Oh my…,” she whispered reverently. “Hubba. Hubba.”

Airport by Morgana
Posted By: Mike M Re: Guess That Story#40 - 04/09/17 06:44 PM
Hattie asked, “Have you heard about the new superheroes?”

Lara asked, “Who hasn’t?”

Morgana replied, wistfully, “Yeahhhh, isn’t Kam-El just a dreamboat?”

Hattie replied, “I couldn’t tell. The pictures I’ve seen weren’t good enough to tell.”

Morgan let out a sigh and said, “Trust me, he is.”

Hattie was more than a little curious and asked, “How do you know?”

Morgan was cast back in her memory, “It was the Fourth of July, we were on a cruise. The ship was in trouble. Some of us were thrown over the side. Kam’El and Ultra Woman 2 flew in to our rescue.”

Hattie interrupted Morgana, “You saw them flying?”

Morgana replied, “It sure looked like it to me. They came diving out of the sky and dove in near us so that they could rescue us. Anyhow, they got us all back on the ship and then Superman and Ultra Woman started to move the ship. I was almost thrown over the side again. Kam-El caught me. He wrapped those big strong arms around me and made me feel safe. When it was all over, I thanked him.”

Hattie, let out a breathy, “Wow!”

Seeing her response, Morgana decided to really blow her away and said, in a more matter-of-fact tone “That’s when I kissed him.”

Hattie felt light headed as she asked, in a raised tone, “You did what?”

The study hall monitor noted Hattie’s raised voice and said, “Not so loud.”

“I kissed him. To thank him … for saving me.”

Hattie complained, “I’m the investigative reporter and I keep missing him. I’m never there when he’s around.”

Lara asked, “What about Ultra Woman 2? What is she, chopped liver?”

Hattie looked at her and replied, “She’s another girl.”

Fallout - 2016 - Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 CG3
by KenJ
Posted By: LMA Re: Guess That Story#40 - 04/09/17 07:24 PM
Oh--I got it! Finally getting a moment to check in here...

#38 is : "Mamihlapinatapei" by Susan Young smile

Love that story...
Laura
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#40 - 04/09/17 08:30 PM
Mike M
#40 - Yes
#43 - Yes

LMA
#38 - Yes

Quotes that are still needing an answer for are the following:

Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#40 - 04/09/17 09:52 PM
19 - Gotta confess...this one has me completely stumped huh

39 - Seeking Friendship by Lieta

41 - sounds like Lara giving away her son to the Kents in Krypton's Legacy by Deadly Chakram

42 - just based on writing style alone, I'm going to guess Ghost of a Chance by AntiKryptonite
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#40 - 04/09/17 10:54 PM
19 - Gotta confess...this one has me completely stumped huh

39 - Seeking Friendship by Lieta

41 - sounds like Lara giving away her son to the Kents in Krypton's Legacy by Deadly Chakram

42 - just based on writing style alone, I'm going to guess Ghost of a Chance by AntiKryptonite

19 - Hint. It's by Virginia R
39 - Yes
41 - Yes
42 - Yes

Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#40 - 04/09/17 11:14 PM
19 - Hint. It's by Virginia R

Ah, well that narrowed it down, now didn't it? smile It's "The Art of Conversation"
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#40 - 04/10/17 12:04 AM
Haha! Yes! Finally we got them all answered. I'll post the next batch of quotes here in a little bit.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#44 - 04/10/17 12:06 AM
Clark Kent is seated in the front row, almost directly in my line of sight. I wonder for a moment how he arranged that, then dismiss the thought as unimportant. I glance around him to find his wife – the woman who should have been Mrs. Lex Luthor – but I don’t see her. Perhaps she couldn’t get credentials, perhaps the state wouldn’t allow more than one representative of the Daily Planet, or – and I flatter myself, of course – she couldn’t bear to see me die, to lose me forever.

Warden Castle is droning on about justice or some such drivel. Justice! Were there any real justice in this world, I would be ruling it. All the people, not just those of Metropolis, would have to look up to see me. As I boasted to Kent and the woman whom I still love on the night I met them, I deserve to be the highest—

Wait a moment.

On the night of his first appearance – the night he issued his challenge to me – Superman told me that if I wanted to see him to look up. And as I think back on it now, he was all but throwing my own words back into my face. How could he know what I said—

No. That is impossible. There must be another explanation.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#45 - 04/10/17 12:10 AM
The Boss nodded. "Few survived when the planet tore itself apart. The boy was one of the lucky ones. His parents foresaw what was to come and sent him in a capsule to Earth, saving his life even though it meant sacrificing their own. Tomorrow evening, that ship will land on Earth. Everything is in motion so that the Kents will find him."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#46 - 04/10/17 12:11 AM
It became ingrained in his very soul. He could match its syllables to the beating of his heart. So it became a part of him. When he finally felt in control again, he headed for the city he loved… and Lois.

Too quickly, the flight ended and he found himself hovering over her apartment. While he normally wouldn’t scan her apartment without her permission or her being in danger, this was not by any means a normal day.

Whatever a normal day was for him.

He was reminded again of his parents’ advice. Martha’s gentle voice earlier today masked her frustration and anger. He was floored when she suggested that Lois might try to seduce Superman. Until that moment he hadn’t even considered that possibility.

Using his super hearing first, he didn’t hear any sounds from the apartment except her breathing and heartbeat. Lois’s breathing was calm and regular, and although her heartbeat was slightly elevated, it was not distressed. It sounded more like anticipation or mild anxiety. And just hearing it once again soothed his soul.

Wondering what he’d find when he looked, he prepared himself for the worst. He avoided scanning the more private areas of her apartment.

Uncomfortable at violating his own code of ethics by using his senses to see and hear her, nevertheless he recognized its necessity to get a better idea of what she planned—and to at least have an inkling of how to respond.

Only Lois Lane could make Superman violate his ethics… for love.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#47 - 04/10/17 12:24 AM
“Well, I stowed away on the boat of Jimmy the Rat after hearing a tip that he was going to be meeting a business associate out here tonight. I thought I could get some juicy stuff, but as it happened, I picked the night when the Rat was supposed to be exterminated.”

<Figures,> the voice of Superman said, but it wasn’t her ears that heard the word. Startled, she turned toward Superman again, but he appeared to be as stoic and neutral as ever. That voice, though...stoic wasn’t the word she’d use to describe it. She blinked a couple times, wondering if it was just another figment of her imagination. But even as she looked at his face and his unmoving lips, his voice entered her mind again. <See, this is why you never go to the movies. Aside from not having a date, you know that somewhere in the middle, probably during the good part, Lois will require rescuing.>

He...? What...? Lois blinked again, not quite sure whether to be indignant, amused, or extremely scared. Her mind just had to be playing tricks on her. But, then again, what if it wasn’t? As odd as it might seem, wasn’t this her wish? If she didn’t know any better, she’d certainly think that these were Superman’s thoughts that she was reading. Holy cow, she thought, her head spinning as she felt herself descending dangerously toward panic.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#48 - 04/10/17 12:26 AM
“Look, darlin’, I try not to interfere in the personal lives of my reporters. But I told you once that that boy would walk on water for you or die tryin’, and I stand by that. Now, uh, when you and Clark started dating, and then Dan came on the scene, I was worried. And then, well, when Clark took off in the middle of the night like that, it wasn’t hard to put two and two together. I figured that you’d told him you’d chosen Dan.”

Lois stared at the editor, unable to speak, to correct his false assumption. To tell him that she’d gone to tell Clark that she’d broken things off with Dan, that she wanted to be with him, Clark- and found his apartment vacant.

“The thing is, uh, I know how Clark felt about you. Boy fell for you like a poleaxed steer the day you two met. You getting engaged to Luthor didn’t change that, and I’d bet my Elvis collection that you getting engaged to Dan won’t have changed it either.” He fixed her with a steely glare. “So if you only want him back in Metropolis because you miss your friend, then leave him where he is.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#49 - 04/10/17 12:28 AM
"I...uh...here." He held out the hawk to her. "Take this."

"I'm not interested in buying another animal right now." Her tone was guarded and annoyed.

Clark shook his head. "No, you misunderstand me, milady. He's a gift, for you." He stretched out the hand with the carving a little further. "Take him. I want you to have him."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#50 - 04/10/17 12:31 AM
“Flattery will get you nowhere.” She said, patting his knee lightly.

“Oh, really?” he teased back. His tone was full of humor but his eyes were filled with something else. Desire? Her breath caught in her throat as she tried to continue the teasing banter between them.

“Yes. Flattery makes you think someone’s trying to hide something. Are you trying to hide something?” she asked. His eyes got a faraway look that seemed familiar to her, but then he turned his attention back to her. For a split second, she thought maybe she had imagined it.

“Well, you don’t know everything about me.” He admitted. “I still don’t know everything about you.” He patted her knee lightly.

Lois closed her eyes a moment, savoring the warmth from his touch. If only he would move his hand up a little higher…What was she thinking? Was she seriously considering sleeping with Clark on a first date?

Her heart was pounding against her chest as she watched him hesitantly. He seemed to be contemplating something as he gently squeezed her kneecap. Both coffee cups lay on the table forgotten…probably cold by now. He looked at her hesitantly, keeping her gaze. He seemed nervous.

She really wanted him to kiss her. Just one kiss. It wouldn’t hurt anything. They’d kissed quite a few times and it hadn’t hurt anything, had it? The world hadn’t ended. This was different, though. This was an actual date. She was on an actual date with Clark, her partner.

Could she do this? Could she have a relationship with him? Kiss him? And still, have a healthy professional relationship with him? She had to. She traced the outline of his hand with her own, anticipating his next move. She tilted her head towards his as he leaned in to kiss her.

This was it.
Posted By: groobie Re: Guess That Story#50 - 04/10/17 04:05 AM
44 - the warden...has to be End of an Era by Terry Leatherwood
45 - The Boss...ah, not "the Boss" i.e. Lex Luthor. wink This is from The Assignment by Deadly Chakram
46 - Give me a second...I know I've read this...Don't Be Cruel by cuidadora
47 - Lois wishing she can hear others' thoughts...Mind's Eye by CLeuch
48 - poleaxed, eh? I recognize this...hmmmm...Clark and Dan...The Wrong Man by NostalgiaKick?
49 - mi'lady...has to be A Farmers Tale by Deadly Chakram
50 - Lois is considering sleeping with Clark on their first date, eh? I can turn that into an nfic devil ! For now, though, this is Winner Takes All by folc4evernaday
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story#50 - 04/10/17 04:52 AM
Lois is considering sleeping with Clark on their first date, eh? I can turn that into an nfic devil ! For now, though, this is Winner Takes All by folc4evernaday

ROTFL yeah I think all us cross posters can.
There is an NFIC version of WTA just so you know. razz

Okay, 44. Yes -Lex Luthor's execution
45 Yes - No not Lex Luthor boss
46 Yes - Yes it was hard to find enough of a quote that didn't have the title in it
47 Yes - Imagine if she'd gotten that earlier in the Series. Ha! Season 1 would have been funny
48 Yes - Tangled webs
49 Yes - I know that one was a dead giveaway
50 Yep

Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#51 - 04/10/17 12:44 PM
"No wonder you're all so pissy. Where's the booze?" He snapped his fingers as best he could while in the Iron Man suit. "I know. We should all go out and get a few drinks. Maybe it'll loosen up all of you uptight heroes."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#52 - 04/10/17 01:00 PM
“Sometimes I think it’s easier not to be happy.” Cat wandered towards the window, trying to detach from her own emotions. “Fake a smile, laugh a touch too loudly. Build an image that’s good enough to hide behind, and steer clear of anyone who could shatter the illusion.”

“Are we talking about you or me?” Lois asked.

Cat shrugged. “Us. Mad Dog Lane is as much of a lie as Cat Grant.” Cat tugged at the hem of her skin-tight mini-dress, the one that drew attention to her figure and away from what she didn’t want others to see. “They’re both avatars, masks we wear.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#53 - 04/10/17 01:02 PM
There had been other incidents since, but each time, Clark had managed to throw the public off his tracks and keep his secret intact. But this movie...this was dangerous. Cartoon though it was, it had the power to make people think and question. Where did Superman hang his cape at night? How did Batman earn a living to afford his gadgets? What did Wonder Woman do between rescues? Did the untouchable heroes - the stuff of legends - have secret identities that they could retreat into to avoid detection? Were there times when the "supers" of the world weren't so super? Did they do mundane things like check out books from the library and make runs to the grocery store to pick up fresh milk, eggs, and bread?
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#54 - 04/10/17 01:17 PM
"What?!" Lois said as she read the location.
It couldn't be right. There just wasn't any way it could be correct.
"Bangladesh?" she said, shaking her head, as though it would erase the location and make a new one appear that made more sense. "How the hell...?"
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#55 - 04/10/17 01:19 PM
“I have an apartment here in Metropolis,” he said. “Paid for with money earned at my job.”

She furrowed her brow. “What about all the money from people selling Superman dolls and comic books? From the deals that Murray Brown guy makes for you? Couldn’t you use that for a place to stay?”

Superman smiled and shook his head. “That all goes to charity. Superman wouldn’t dream of taking money from anyone. But the real me… I have to eat. I have to pay the electric bill. So I have a job.”

Lois found herself speechless for a moment. “The real you…?” she managed to say, though a thousand other questions suddenly leapt to mind.

“Has a name, a college degree, driver’s license, credit cards… a couple pieces from the Ikea catalog. The real me is a pretty decent chef, and fairly handy around the house. What, do you think I walk around in this outfit all the time?” he said, gesturing toward himself, his smile growing. “I’m a lot more normal than you think.”

She stared at him dumbfounded, as if she was seeing him for the first time. How could he be anything other than Superman? How could someone who could do what he could do pass as anything less than extraordinary? “But…I thought you were an alien, came from another planet.”

“When I was a baby,” he said softly. “I was found, adopted, raised by a great family. I was a pretty ordinary kid until around junior high, when my powers started showing up. The flying didn’t happen until I was almost out of high school. That was…something special.”

“But you never told anyone,” Lois said. Superman first appeared a couple years ago, but it didn’t take any special observational talents to see that the man in front of her, whoever he really was, had been out of high school for quite a few years. Lois liked to think that she had a nose for news, and even going back to her college years, she’s fairly certain she would’ve been interested if she had heard stories of a flying man, of someone so strong he could lift mountains, but she had never heard anything like that, not even after Superman arrived, when she had actively looked. So it stood to reason that he hid himself, his talents, from the world in that time. “God, you must’ve been so lonely,” she said, scooting toward him.

He shrugged, his expression becoming tender, but not sad. “I could…can always talk to my parents. They know everything. I told you that my mother made my suit, surely you remember.” Lois closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She had completely forgotten about that. In the excitement of the moment, it had been ignored in favor of the less mundane aspects of his appearance. “It always surprised me that you never looked for me after that, knowing there was a guy out there whose mother owned a sewing machine and bought several stores out of blue spandex.” He seemed amused at the fact, though Lois was still too surprised to know what to think or feel.

“This is…I mean, it’s…educational, I guess,” Lois said with a shake of the head. “And I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but…why tell me all this?”

His smile grew. “Because I want you to find me.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#55 - 04/10/17 01:20 PM
Catherine took another sip of her coffee and asked, dreading the response, “Wh …what was the woman’s name?”

“La … Lara Ah! Lana Lang! Just a moment, there might be a picture in my bag.”

While Arthur went into his office, Catherine strived not to squirm in her chair. This bit of information that had fallen into her lap was bad, very bad indeed.

“Yes, Anna took this group picture; Daae had copies made for all the guests as a gift commemorating the evening.”

Catherine studied the photo, her green eyes gleamed catlike when she spotted a very chic Lana among the elegantly turned out guests. Gone was the Midwestern small town girl. Now she had transformed into a sophisticated woman. But the American city dweller had departed as well; she wore a blue gown and her blonde hair was pinned into a very pleasing-to-the-eye, sleek chignon – very European. Clark’s so-called girlfriend smiled prettily at Daae, but that was not what caught her attention; the two were holding hands like lovers.

<Oh no! Should I tell Clark?> She thought in a panic.
Seeing the bitter expression on Catherine’s face her companion asked,

“Do you know the young lady?”

“Yes,” Catherine responded, her tone corrosive. “But she is no lady.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#56 - 04/10/17 01:23 PM
That bombshell is dropped softly, purposely, and yet, before he can do more than gape at her (his super-speed deserting him), she is pacing again, her hands twisting in front of her. “Do you want to know why I was dating Lex?” she asks abruptly.

Clark shakes his head, looks away, tries to convince himself he did not hear what he thought he did (because at this moment, hope is almost more cruel than reality). “Probably not,” he mutters under his breath, sickeningly sure that he about to be handed his heart on a silver platter with a Lois-shaped hole carved out of it yet again.

She throws him a look, all narrowed eyes and pursed-lip warning, but keeps talking anyway. “The reason I dated him--the reason I considered his marriage proposal--is because he can’t hurt me.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#57 - 04/10/17 01:26 PM
“I’m serious.” He said, cupping her cheek with his hand.

“Okay. I won’t tell anyone. What’s going on?”

“The best way to explain this I guess would be to start at the beginning. I want you to understand my sharing this with you is a huge risk. Trask is just one example of what could happen if this got out.”

“Clark, you’re starting to scare me. What’s going on?” Lois asked, moving his hand from her cheek to hold in her own hand.

“Okay, I never told you this, but I’m adopted.”

“That’s why you were doing that story about the adoptions?” Lois asked.

“Partially. It was an assignment and I had a curiosity about it, but I wasn’t your typical adoption.”

“What do you mean?”

“My parents found me in Schuster's Field roughly twenty-eight years ago…in a space ship. Neither of them knew where I had come from. They had a friend of the family create a birth certificate for me; telling everyone I was the child of an unwed teenage relative…” Clark sighed as he continued. Lois was listening with rapt attention. “I had it drilled into my head from the time that I was five years old not to tell anyone or I would be dissected like a frog by a government agency.”

“Oh, Clark…” Lois reached up to stroke his cheek.

“As I got older I started developing different abilities …heat vision, x-ray, the power to defy gravity…Lois, I’m Superman.”

Lois stared at him for a minute. For a minute he thought she was going to slap him. He knew he would deserve it. Instead, she erupted into peals of laughter, “That’s funny. You’re Superman? You almost had me there for a minute, Clark. I think you hit your head harder than you thought.”

“Lois, I’m telling the truth. I am Superman.” Clark argued.

Lois just laughed. “Sure. You’re Superman?” She asked skeptically. “Do something super. Fly.”

“I can’t.” He said solemnly.

“You can’t?” Lois asked.

“Well, there’s this rock..meteorite..they think it came from the same planet as me…it makes me sick and it took away my powers.” He explained hurriedly.

“How convenient,” Lois said sarcastically. She didn’t believe him. Here he was pouring out his heart, revealing himself to her and she didn’t believe him. “Clark, just try and get some sleep.” She gave him a peck on the cheek and rested her head on his chest. This was going to be harder than he thought.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#58 - 04/10/17 01:31 PM
Clark watched helplessly as Lois’ shoulders shook, unable to tell if she was laughing or crying. Finally he crouched down in front of her.

“Lois? Are you okay?”

She raised her tear streaked face and glared at him. “Okay? No, Clark, I am not okay! You just told me that the man I love and the superhero I chased around Metropolis for over a year are the same person! How could I be okay?”

He couldn’t stop himself from smiling, which only provoked another glare from her.

“What are you smiling at?”

“You love me?”

“Yes, but-”

This time he didn’t resist. Leaning forward, he captured her lips with his. For a moment she resisted him, then he felt her lips move under his and silently exulted. Oh, how he’d missed kissing her! She threaded her fingers through the hair at the back of his neck, tugging him closer as her tongue sought, and received, access to his mouth. He moaned deep in his throat as the tip of her tongue found his and pulled her off the couch into his arms, holding her tightly against him as he explored her mouth. All too soon, she was pulling away from him, making him groan in disappointment as she broke their kiss.

“You may not need to, but I need to breathe,” she reminded him.

“I love you, Lois,” he told her seriously. She leaned forward and pressed a lingering kiss to his lips.

“I’m still mad at you.”

“I know. And I’m sorry, Lois. I should have told you earlier. I’ll make it up to you, I promise.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story #59 - 04/10/17 01:34 PM
“There you go stealing my clothes again,” He teased, rolling them over so she was straddling him as she slipped the dress shirt on.

“What’s yours is mine,” She shot back, leaning down to kiss him.

“I do have to admit it looks much sexier on you,” He whispered against her lips.

“Hmmm, you’ve been trained well, husband,” She teased.

He laughed, wrapping his arms around her as he rolled them over again so she was beneath him. “Trained?”

“Mmm hmm,” She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him down to her level as she leaned up to capture his lips.

“I love you,” He whispered, cupping her cheek with his thumb.

She stroked her hand against his cheek, “I love you, too,” She kissed his palm, “Personally I think we’ve done pretty good for a 73% compatible,”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#60 - 04/10/17 01:36 PM
"I know your experience is different than mine. I know you've seen more in your years on Earth than I have. I've heard about this...Superman...that you've created. I know that, right now, the world embraces you for it. But for how long? How long will they love the alien in their midst? How long before they turn their backs on you? How long before they begin to resent and hate you for having abilities they will never have? What then?"
Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story - 04/10/17 03:41 PM
Well, I think I know some of these

#51 - A Stark Conversation by Deadly Chakram
#52 - Adieu by Susan Young
#53 - An Incredible Movie Experience by Deadly Chakram
#54 - ??
#55 The Real Me by CLeuch
#55 (both this and previous one listed as #55)- Airport by Morgana
#56 - Ghost of a Chance by AntiKryptonite
#57 - ??
#58 - The Wrong Man by NostalgiaKick
#59 - ??
#60 - Krypton's Legacy by Deadly Chakram
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 04/10/17 05:18 PM
Well, I think I know some of these

#51 - A Stark Conversation by Deadly Chakram
#52 - Adieu by Susan Young
#53 - An Incredible Movie Experience by Deadly Chakram
#54 - ??
#55A The Real Me by CLeuch
#55B (both this and previous one listed as #55)- Airport by Morgana
#56 - Ghost of a Chance by AntiKryptonite
#57 - ??
#58 - The Wrong Man by NostalgiaKick
#59 - ??
#60 - Krypton's Legacy by Deadly Chakram

haha whoops! I lost count I guess.
We'll call them 55A and 55B haha
#51 - Yep
#52 - The infamous Cat Grant in Adieu yes
#53 - Yes can't go to the movie anymore. Poor Clark
#54 - This is a DeadlyChakram story. That's the only Hint I can think of without giving it away.
#55A - Yes, Clark's speech from the real me
#55B - Yes Cat caught Lana being bad in Airport
#56 - Yep!
#57 - Hint - It's an Epic Length story
#58 - Yes, Clark's revelation in the Wrong Man
#59 - Hint - This one is in the Original Character category. It had a lot of angst but this was one of the few lighter scenes in the story.
#60 - Yes!

Thanks for playing cuidadora! clap

Posted By: cuidadora Re: Guess That Story - 04/10/17 07:54 PM
Ah, the hints helped! I think some of these are very challenging, at least to me!!

#54 - Superman Go by Deadly Chakram

#57 - Winner Takes All by you, folc4evernaday

#59 - When Churches Come Crashing Down by you, folc4evernaday

Thanks for all your work in creating this quote quiz!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Guess That Story - 04/10/17 11:06 PM
Ah, the hints helped! I think some of these are very challenging, at least to me!!

#54 - Superman Go by Deadly Chakram

#57 - Winner Takes All by you, folc4evernaday

#59 - When Churches Come Crashing Down by you, folc4evernaday

Thanks for all your work in creating this quote quiz!

I'm trying to do a different theme with the longer ones everyday (ie: first kiss, revelations, etc...) I'm glad you're enjoying the quizzes. It's a fun way to countdown to Kerths

54 - Yes
57 - Yes
59 - Yes

I'll post the next batch in the morning sometime. Thanks for playing. wave hyper
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#61 - 04/11/17 04:04 PM
“Look, Clark, I know you don’t want to see me, and I’ll leave you alone if that’s what you want. But first, I want some answers,” Lois stated.

He ran a hand through his already messy hair. “I guess you’d better come in.”

She’d barely made it into the room when she whirled.

“Why did you leave Metropolis?”

He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans. “I thought that was obvious.”

“Not to me.”

“I knew you’d chosen Scardino. After that… well, there just wasn’t anything left for me there.”

“What about your friends? The Planet? Didn’t they mean anything to you?”

“Of course they did, Lois! But what did you expect me to do? Stay and watch you with him? Maybe dance at your wedding?” He flung the words at her, letting his intense hurt colour them.

“You’re wrong,” she whispered.

“What?”

“I said, you’re wrong. I didn’t choose Dan.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#62 - 04/11/17 04:06 PM
Jack, mixing up his morning cup of coffee, noticed her and said to Stacy, “Doesn’t she have a job?”

Stacy looked at him, shrugged and said, “She still does work with her Father at the museum. You know, helping him put together that Napoleon Bonaparte exhibit. From what I understand it’s going to be quite an evening when the tableaus depicting scenes from his life are revealed to the public. Even the governor will be there.”

“Oh yeah, how did you find out all this stuff? Been listening to the bullpen gossip?”

“No, because I listen to conversations and put together the information, but I don’t say anything to anyone until it’s confirmed. Maybe you should read more than just the sports section. Look under Arts and Leisure in the Daily Planet’s Weekend section.”
Jack, completely embarrassed, shifted the conversation back to Lana.

“Speaking of observation. Do you ever notice how she always shows up for lunch after Clark has an assignment with Lois?” He remarked sarcastically.

“Hmmm, you’re right. Wonder what that’s all about?” Stacy adjusted her glasses and cautiously watched the modern tableau before her. “Right now, I don’t think Ms. Lane and Mr. Kent are on speaking terms…”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#63 - 04/11/17 04:12 PM
He decided that he needed to be honest with her. “Morgana, there is no other girl that I like better than you, but that’s all it is ... I like you, but not in a romantic way. You are a good friend, but I’m afraid that is all we ever will be … friends.”

Morgana sighed and said, “I guess I need to start packing for the trip then. I was hoping you’d ask me to stay, but I understand.”

She thought back to their first meeting. She had asked if he had a girlfriend and he had said that he didn’t date. She had known since the kiss after the Homecoming Dance just who Jon Kent was. She couldn’t get over the fact that his kiss seemed so … familiar, somehow. Then the memory of seeing him in his spandex workout gear came to mind and the image of Kam-El in his uniform and it all came together. Jon Kent was Kam-El. He had saved her life … several times over.

Jon Kent was Kam-El which meant that in all probability, Lara was Ultra Woman 2 which made Clark Kent and Lois Lane, Superman and Ultra Woman. The fact that she knew the identities of what she now thought of as the Super Family staggered her. She also knew that if anyone even suspected that she knew who they were some unscrupulous fiends would stop at nothing to wring that information from her so it was best all around if no one even suspected that she knew, not even Jon. Perhaps, some day in the future she’d meet him again and tell him what she knew, but that wouldn’t be for many years.

The fact that Lois Lane and Clark Kent were married told her that they do marry and have children so maybe, in that day that they meet again, if he still was single… There might still be a chance for her.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#64 - 04/11/17 04:16 PM
He head snapped up and in an instant she had launched herself into his arms. "Oh Clark, I thought maybe you weren't home... I don't even know why I'm here, but I just need someone to talk to... Lucy and I haven't really talked in ages and there's *no way* I'm going to my mother for advice... I just don't know what to do, it's all too quick and new and..." To Clark's shock she cut off her own babble and buried her face in his shoulder before whispering so quietly that he doubted a normal man could have heard her, "I just need my best friend..."

Clark wondered what in the world could have happened after her 'wonderful' date... had someone gotten hurt? She mentioned her mom and sister, maybe her dad? The uncle she'd mentioned a scant handful of times? He hoped whatever it was wasn't something Superman could have helped with, he had been too drained emotionally to go looking for places to intervene, though he wouldn't have ignored anything he had *actually* heard... Clark shook himself internally, he was picking up the Lane babbling habit even if only in his head.

He squeezed Lois in a reassuring hug before guiding her to his sofa. "We can talk all you want, Lois. But first do you want some tea?" he offered.

Lois shook her head and replied, "No, not now..."

Clark nodded and settled in next to her on the couch. "What happened, Lois?" he asked in a gentle voice.

"Lex proposed," she dropped the bombshell in his lap and it took everything in him not to physically react to it.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#65 - 04/11/17 04:17 PM
"Superman?" she asked, looking to Mayson. "I don't understand. I thought you said Clark was in trouble."

"He is, can't you see that?"

"Mayson, for the love of God, don't jerk me ar..." She bit off her words abruptly and looked back at the sleeping face next to her. "C...Clark?"
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#66 - 04/11/17 04:19 PM
"Lana?" Lois echoed. "Lana, your ex-girlfriend, Lana? Lana Lang?" She sounded as shocked as Clark felt. "This is her?"
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#67 - 04/11/17 04:21 PM
"Do...do I...know her?" she asked slowly.

"Please," he begged. "I don't want to overstep my place. Your family has shown me every kindness. I can't...I can't jeopardize one of the best things that's happened to me lately."

"Is it...me?" she whispered.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#68 - 04/11/17 04:23 PM
"Superman," she choked out, "Clark... you have to find him... he was shot..."

Superman knelt in front of her so he could meet her downcast eyes, "I know Lois, I'm so sorry I couldn't..." he soothed.

Lois made a sharp slashing movement with her hand as she vaulted to her feet, her grief giving over to exasperation as she bit out, "You don't understand! He managed to give me one of our signals after he went down... three taps to signal meeting up and whoever gave the signal's apartment. That means he was *alive* and rational enough to give me that signal. You *have* to go looking for him *now*! He could..."

"Lois!" Superman cut her off abruptly.

Lois snarled and grasped the hero's shoulder, trying to urge him to Clark's balcony, "I *said*..."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#69 - 04/11/17 04:27 PM
This was, Perry White decided, one of the lowest points in his tenure as editor-in-chief. Hiding in the closet of an employee to escape detection by another employee was definitely not dignified.
From in here, he couldn't make out exactly what Lois was saying, but the shrill tone of her voice- even muffled as it was by Kent's coats- led credence to Clark's assertion that this whole Linda King thing was sending Lois off the deep end.

Lois's voice- and the sound of Clark's vain attempts to check her- was suddenly louder and clearer. Unwilling to be caught, Perry burrowed between the hanging clothes, leaning against the back wall of the closet so he had clear space in which to breathe. Whoever had built this particular wardrobe had definitely not taken someone of Clark's hefty build into account. The shoulders of his suit jackets brushed both the back wall and the door. Perry shifted, trying to find a more comfortable position; his elbow hit something with a muted 'click' and he stumbled backwards as the seemingly solid wall behind him slid away. He floundered, grabbing blindly in the dark to recover his balance and ended up with a handful of slick fabric. Just as he began to puzzle over why he had a hold of what felt like Spandex, the closet door slid open, exposing him to the shocked and appalled expressions of Lois and Clark.

Lois was the first to find her voice.

“Well. This is a surprise.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#70 - 04/11/17 04:32 PM
“Yes, why indeed?” she said, softly. “So, you’re saying that you won’t try to seduce me until I know your secret?”
He ran his fingers through her hair. “Do you want me to seduce you?”

“I meant have sex.”

He smiled. “Do you want me to make love to you, Lois?”

She turned away, her face red again, but she didn’t step out of his arms. “You’re avoiding the question.”

As had she.

“I won’t make love to you until you know, Lois,” he promised into her ear. “I respect you too much to do otherwise.”

“Respect or love?” she asked, turning back around. Her face was now a mere inch away from his. He could feel her breath against his lips.

“Both,” he replied, speaking the word into her mouth. He took her dare and closed the gap between them, sealing this promise with a kiss.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#71 - 04/12/17 02:44 PM
No guesses yet?

Hopefully everyone's catching up on their reading....

Bud reached into his back pocket and pulled out Smith and Wesson .38 special that he had stolen from his father’s gun locker. Waving it around, negligently, he bragged, “My old man won’t even know that this is gone. I found where he put the key to the lock-up and let myself in. I got a box full of bullets as well. How’d you guys do?”

Jack sat down his glass and produced a semi-automatic version of an AR-15 and said, “I got this and two extra clips.”

After setting down his glass, Ben produced and automatic pistol, a 9mm Glock 19 and said, “I got this and two clips.”

Smiling, Bud said, “Nobody better get in our way. We’ll show ‘em.” He looked around conspiratorially and said, “Okay, we meet here tomorrow at six. Bring everything. Dress all in black and wear ski-masks so that they can’t tell who it is on the security cameras. I’ll take care of the bomb then we meet in the hallway outside the newspaper’s office. We trash it and then move on. By that time that the dance is well underway and we can move on the gym. It’ll be just like WOW. Just remember, Kent, Kaplin and that new girl are mine.

They spent some time finalizing their plans, smoking additional weed as they did.

As they were finalizing their plans the hate they felt was exacerbated by what they planed and also the drugs they were consuming. By the time they were finished they were all consumed with a red hot fury at the school, and especially those that had perpetrated their exposure which resulted in their removal from the team and the revenge they would exact.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#72 - 04/12/17 02:47 PM
“I don’t believe it,” Lucy shook her head adamantly.

“It’s right there on T.V.” Jimmy pointed at the screen. “That’s all everyone’s been talking about.”

“Clark wouldn’t lie to us like that. Lois wouldn’t keep something like that from us. It just doesn’t make sense. I think there’s something else going on here.”

“There may be something else going on,” Jimmy acknowledged, “but there is also something going on with Superman. Why does he only give the exclusives to your sister and CK? Why always the Planet?”

“My sister? You’re not claiming Lois as a friend anymore?” Lucy asked, questioning his word choice.

“I don’t know.” Jimmy shrugged. “I don’t know what I’m doing.”

“Well, I say it’s bologna and you need to stop reading the Tattletale Weekly. There are more important things to focus on than the latest rumor in Metropolis.” Lucy snapped irritably.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#73 - 04/12/17 02:49 PM
"Dr. Klein...he doesn't know," Clark quietly warned her. "I'd like to keep it that way. Unless...unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I'm trusting you to make that decision. I'm trusting you to make all the decisions if I'm not able to."
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#74 - 04/12/17 02:51 PM
“It doesn’t matter, Clark. What matters--”

“How long have you known, Lois?” he cries, and whatever Lois sees in his face, it arrests her. There are more tears trailing down her face, but he only knows by the scent of salt; his eyes are blinded by his own fears and disappointments. “Since that night? The night you came to me and asked me on a date? Is that why you were crying? Why your heart was racing and I could tell you were hiding something? Is this what you were hiding, Lois?”

“Hey, I’m not the only one who’s been hiding things, and you’ve been doing it for far longer!” she snaps back, bristling.

Clark trembles. A crack echoes through his hearing and when he looks down, he sees hairline fractures in the floor spreading out from his feet, a shockwave effect caused by the amount of pressure it is taking him to stay in one spot.

“What happened, then?” he asks, and cannot help the bitterness pervading his tone. “You found out I was Superman--the ordinary man you promised you would love--and decided to give it a try? And then what? You found out I was Clark instead of the perfect hero you made up? Are you disappointed to find out that Superman isn’t real?”

Lois actually winces at that. And then (freezing the blood in Clark’s veins), she just shuts down. Her face goes expressionless, her eyes icy, her mouth a firm line. “You have no idea what I think, or why I came to you. You don’t know me, Clark! If you did, you would never--”

“No, I don’t!” His hands curl into fists, and Clark takes a precautionary step back (clearing a pathway to the door for Lois so he does not frighten her). “But I’ve tried! I have done nothing but ask you what you think, or what you feel, or what you want from me! I love you, Lois, and I have done everything to try to be what you need. What you want!”

“But why?” Lois shouts. “Why me? Why did you pick me to lie to, Clark? Out of all the people in this city, why did you have to make me look like the fool?”

The echoes of their voices die out. The apartment falls silent. Clark stares at Lois. She stares back. A silent, painful tableau.

“You think I did all this to make you look bad?” Clark finally asks, his voice a pale shadow barely daring to slice through the quiet around them. “You think I wanted to lie to you--to lie at all, about everything, for my entire life? I guess you don’t know me either, Lois. You’ve known my Secret all this time, and you still…don’t know me at all.”

“How can I?” she asks dully. “You’ve never bothered to show me who you really are.”

“I have shown you more of who I am than I have ever shown anyone else. I have been honest with you as much as I can, and I only ever lied about one thing. I trusted you with my Secret, Lois! And still…that’s not enough?”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#75 - 04/12/17 02:53 PM
Bile rose in Clark’s throat, but with an effort he held it down. Lana never did anything without a reason. From what he knew of Daae, she shouldn’t cross him by visiting her ‘ex-boyfriend’. With an effort he composed himself and said, “How did you know I was coming home? Also, how did you locate and enter my apartment? After all, you did get married before I could show you the place.”

A glimmer of genuine concern appeared momentarily in Lana’s eyes; unfortunately as quickly as it appeared, it vanished. He got the impression that for all her self-confidence; she was uncomfortable being alone with him.

Preparing to do battle, she straightened her back and said brusquely, “My call to Pete didn’t go very well, he told me you were in Smallville, but not where. He did mention that you had a place and even gave me the address. It’s unlikely Joe would have room for a houseguest, so Irig’s was the best choice. I called there from my car; as soon as Mary Irig knew who I was she couldn’t hang up fast enough. So, I drove over here and decided to wait.” She held up a lone silver key, tossed it to him, which Clark easily caught and placed it on the bookshelf. “Really Clark, hiding a key in the planter out front is the first place a decent thief would look. You don’t live in Kansas anymore.”

Determined not to be rattled by her reproof, Clark folded his arms defensively and said, “What will your husband think if he discovers you were here?”

Her chin jutted upwards, a gesture of defiance. “Nothing at all, especially since Gregory is aware I’m visiting you. He … we feel it is important to ‘clear the air’.”

“Really? I think that was accomplished already in Zurich and then at the airport when you announced your marriage. You cleared me completely out of your life! When we were on the phone all the time you were in Europe, why did you lie to me?”

Lana’s pretty face twisted and she spoke sharply, “I never lied. There were a number of business contacts that had to be made in order to acquire the pieces necessary for the exhibit. Gregory helped me accomplish that task. Without his connections, locating those pieces and the Napoleon camp chair would have been close to impossible.”

“So, let me get this straight, over the course of a few weeks while ‘pursuing’ these pieces for the Napoleon exhibit the two of you ‘fell in love’?”

“Yes,” she responded flatly.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#75 - 04/12/17 02:55 PM
That didn’t surprise Clark. For those first few weeks, he’d been a wreck. He rarely cried, even with all the terrible things he saw as Superman, but for the first couple of days he hadn’t seemed to be able to stop the tears. Even afterwards, he’d been withdrawn and depressed. It was just like his parents- especially his mom- to try and shield him then.

“Do- do you still feel that way?” he asked hesitantly.

“Yes, Clark.”

He reached for her and pulled her into his embrace, sighing happily as she wrapped her arms around his waist. He wanted to stay like this forever, but all too soon a thought intruded.

Superman.

Lois was still in the dark about his other identity. And there was no way he could let that continue.

Reluctantly he dropped his arms from around her and stepped back. She looked at him in disappointed puzzlement.

“Clark? You’re not having second thoughts, are you?”

“Never.” His denial was vehement and heartfelt. “But if we’re going to do this- if we’re going to be together- there’s something you need to know.”
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#76 - 04/12/17 02:58 PM
Lois stared in disbelief as she advanced towards him. “Superman?”

He looked at her slightly confused, “Yes?”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” He smiled. His eyes ran up and down her body. She tugged her jacket more securely around her. “Do I know you?”

She looked at him slightly concerned, “It’s me…Lois..”

He smiled as if recognizing her for the first time. “Oh, yeah.” He nodded then without warning, he grabbed her around the waist and pulled her towards him.

“Get off of me, you jerk!” She slapped him across the face. She stared at Superman in shock. He may have looked and sounded like Clark, but this wasn’t Clark. She took a few steps back, keeping some distance between her and this imposter.

“You know that doesn’t hurt.” He said mockingly.

“Don’t you dare try something like that again!” She hissed, turning on her heel to get as far away from him as possible.

“Women,” He muttered under his breath before taking off.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story#77 - 04/12/17 03:09 PM
He shook his head again, clearing his thoughts. As he took a step back her hand fell away from his chest. He closed his eyes and then opened them. Looking directly at her he said sincerely, “Oh, Lois, I wish I could. You don’t know how much I wish I could believe you. But under the circumstances—”

Pausing for a moment, he then continued, “But let’s put that aside for a moment. Lois, what do you want out of a relationship?”
“What do you mean?”

“Let’s start with this. You say you love me. Yet you’ve been dating Lex Luthor. And I don’t understand. Just how serious are you about both of us?”

Lois lowered her eyes. “Well, Lex has asked me to marry him. So I guess it’s pretty serious.”

Her admission hung in the deafening silence between them.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Guess That Story - Answers/Winners! - 04/16/17 04:43 PM
1. The Loser - Lois_Lane_Fan (Mike M)
2. Winner Takes All - Folc4evernaday (Groobie)
3. An Incredible Movie Experience - Deadly Chakram (Groobie)
4. Changing Perspectives - NostalgiaKick (Groobie)
5. A Stark Conversation - Deadly Chakram (Groobie)
6. Summer - Morgana (Mike M)
7. Clearing the Air -NostalgiaKick (cuidadora)
8. Filtering Out - Susan Young (LMA)
9. Between the Pages - Virigina R (Groobie)
10. When Churches Come Crashing Down - Folc4evernaday (cuidadora)
11. Changing the Game - NostalgiaKick (Mike M)
12. It's All About Timing - Lieta (Groobie)
13. Mirror Mirror - SciFiJoan (Groobie)
14. Muddying the Waters - Nostalgiakick (Mike M)
15. Innocents - Queen of the Capes (mrsMxyzptlk)
16. Only a Friend - Queen of the Capes (Mike M)
17. Tempora Mutantur - bakasi (Groobie)
18. End of an Era - Terry Leatherwood (cuidadora)
19. The Art of Conversation - Virginia R (Groobie)
20. The Purloined Paintings (AKA The Case of the Missing Artwork) - Lynn S.M. (Mike M)
21. The Naming of Cats - Lynn S.M. (cuidadora)
22. Veni Vidi Vici - Deadly Chakram (N/A)
23. Yes or No - Nostalgiakick (Mike M)
24. 1 of 5 - Susan Young (Groobie)
25. Rising Star - Lynn S.M. (Groobie)
26. Superman GO - Deadly Chakram (cuidadora)
27. Proposed Ignorance - Deadly Chakram (Groobie)
28. It's Impossible - bakasi (Groobie)
29. Countdown - Mouserocks (Groobie)
30. That Old Code of Ours - Lieta (Mike M)
31. The Assignment - Deadly Chakram (cuidadora)
32. Dance With Me - Morgana (Groobie)
33. Winner Takes All - Folc4evernaday (Cuidadora)
34. Ambivalent - Nivafrer (cuidadora)
35. When Churches Come Crashing Down - Folc4evernaday (cuidadora)
36. Proposed Ignorance - Deadly Chakram (Groobie)
37. Gotham Nights - CLeuch (Mike M.)
38. Mamihlapinatapei - Susan Young (LMA)
39. Seeking Friendship - Lieta (Groobie)
40. Fallout - KenJ (Mike M)
41. Krypton's Legacy - Deadly Chakram (Groobie)
42. Ghost of A Chance - AntiKryptonite (Groobie)
43. Airport - Morgana (Mike M)
44. End of an Era - Terry Leatherwood (Groobie)
45. The Assignment - Deadly Chakram (Groobie)
46. Don't Be Cruel - Cuidadora (Groobie)
47. Mind's Eye - CLeuch (Groobie)
48. Wrong Man - Nostalgiakick (Groobie)
49. A Farmer's Tale - Deadly Chakram (Groobie)
50. Winner Takes All - Folc4evernaday (Groobie)
51. A Stark Conversation - Deadly Chakram (cuidadora)
52. Adieu - Susan Young (cuidadora)
53. An Incredible Movie Experience - Deadly Chakram (cuidadora)
54. Superan GO - Deadly Chakram (cuidadora)
55A. The Real Me - CLeuch (cuidadora)
55B. Airport - Morgana (cuidadora)
56. Ghost of A Chance - AntiKryptonite (cuidadora)
57. Winner Takes All - Folc4evernaday (cuidadora)
58. Wrong Man - Nostalgiakick (cuidadora)
59. When Churches Come Crashing Down - Folc4evernaday (cuidadora)
60. Krypton's Legacy - Deadly Chakram (cuidadora)
61. Wrong Man - Nostalgiakick ()
62. Airport - Morgana ()
63. Fallout - KenJ ()
64. Seeking Friendship - Lieta ()
65. Proposed Ignorance - Deadly Chakram ()
66. Krypton's Legacy - Deadly Chakram ()
67. A Farmer's Tale - Deadly Chakram ()
68. That Old Code of Ours - Lieta ()
69. Muddying the Waters - NostalgiaKick ()
70. Between the Pages - Virginia R ()
71. Fallout - KenJ ()
72. When Churches Come Crashing Down - Folc4evernady ()
73. Proposed Ignorance - Deadly Chakram ()
74. Ghost of A Chance - AntiKryptonite ()
75A. Airport - Morgana ()
75B. Wrong Man - Nostalgiakick ()
76. Winner Takes All - Folc4evernaday ()
77. Don't Be Cruel - Cuidadora ()

59 Guesses Total. We had 18 that nobody guessed at the end.

mrsMxyzptlk had 1 many total
LMA had 2 many total
Mike M had 11 many total
cuidadora had 19 many total
Groobie had 26 total

And the Winner is....Groobie smile

© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards