I've been dealing with clinical depression since I was a teenager. I went to therapy, but what finally helped was medication (Prozac, in my case). My doctor had me try several different medications before we settled on that one. I tried going off it once when I couldn't afford it (this was before it was available as a generic drug; a 30-day supply can now be purchased at Walmart for $4.00, 3 months for $10.00) and it was disastrous, so I went back on it.

I also suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), even though I live in SoCal and the shortest days are about 10 hours long. I have a special natural light lamp that helps when the days are too overcast. I don't remember what it cost, but a good one will last for many years.

I had a therapist who recommended I keep a journal about how I felt. I hated writing about my own feelings, so I wrote fanfic instead -- it was easier to give those feelings to someone else.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland