When I first saw this episode, I was looking forward to how, exactly, they would bring down Lex Luthor.

Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why is the third-richest man in the world running a bunch of local protection rackets? Who is this woman who was introduced in the last two episodes, and why does she give away all of his secrets?

I think I have an answer.

And it goes back to the production of the episode.

Nigel St. John has been there since the third episode.

In the second season, Nigel St. John comments that betraying Lex Luthor "is what I'm best at."

Look at Nigel St. John's face when Lex Luthor tells him he's in love with Lois Lane. Look at it.

Now imagine Nigel St. John in Mrs. Cox's place at the end of the episode, holding up his handcuffed hands.

In case it isn't obvious by now, I am implying that Nigel was gay, he had his eyes set on Luthor, and that when Luthor decided to marry Lois Lane...

Nigel St. John was going to betray Lex Luthor.

That's how I see it, anyway. Anyone else have an opinion?

(I also believe, for various reasons, that Lex Luthor was going to have faked his own death, that further appearances by Lex Luthor were replaced with his son and Tempus, and that Supergirl might've been in the works.)