Over in the Wrong Clark discussion thread, Mrs. M brought up a good point:

Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Virginia wrote:
They never mentioned a 'previous owner' of the DP, only a 'board of directors'. I always wondered how this public company went private again with the help of Luthor.
That's a good question. He must have bought controlling shares in the company. I'm not sure how that works, though, since that would mean that a majority of the shareholders would be wanting to sell at the same time. If he only buys what's available at any given moment, that should drive the price up pretty heavily for remaining shares, right? Then some remaining shareholders would be looking to sell because suddenly their shares are worth much more than they paid for them, and others would want to hold on to see how high the stock goes. Or something. I don't see him getting controlling shares all at once. He would probably have to buy them over a period of time.
Can privately held companies have a board of directors who can voted 'yea' or 'nay' on the ownership of said company without permission from the 'owner' or is that, like we believe, only something that happens with public companies? In other words, who do YOU think owned the Daily Planet, before Lex bought it?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.