hazel,

thanks for your comments and advice. glad to hear you enjoyed the story. smile

as to the characters, yeah it would have been more fun to have more people to play with, but i'm happy with what we had. the whole thing about this genre is that it's unpredictable. things could always be better or worse.

as for OATIM (which i am informed was a ficlist roleplay called "once upon a time in metropolis"), i'm sorry to have missed it. thanks for pointing it out. now i can look forward to (hopefully) seeing it later.

Paul, I'm not trying to preempt your thread here. But I think it would be lovely to have OUATIM see the light of day.
thanks, but don't worry about it. now that i've heard of the story, i'm very interested in seeing it, too. it is also related, in a way, to this story, so it seems appropriate to have continued the discussion here.

actually, let me add that i'll be going in and out of town a lot over the next couple of months, but that i should have time again in august. so if you (yvonne, labby, hazel, whoever) need help sorting through all those posts then, i'll be glad to do what i can.

carole,

while we're talking about languages, i realized that i didn't respond to this last time:

I had a great Laughing time with that though, the french in me would have gone for a masculin form of Chienne...but Claude Delechien or Duchien doesn't have the same punch.
duchien (to my knowledge, there's no such thing as "de le") would not have worked. there's a particular english idiom having to do with men who are descended from female dogs. i suppose i could have gone with dechienne, which would have been less cumbersome but also less accurate or d'unechienne, which would have been more accurate but also more awkward. i thought de la chienne (literally translated: "from the female dog") was the best compromise.

PS: still, I'm impressed with the Hebrew, cela ne doit pas ĂȘtre une langue facile.
it was an easy enough language for me, but that's probably because i started learning it nursery school (2 years before first grade). at that age, almost any language is easy to learn.

Paul

EDIT: sorry. logged in last night to write a response in the other thread, but my comp crashed before i could post. forgot i was still logged in with this nick. oh well.

"Well, what he can't do, it doesn't matter. It's the idea of Superman. Someone to believe in. Someone to build a few hopes around. Whatever he can do, that's enough." - Lois Lane