Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: AltClark Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/04/03 03:56 PM
As some of you may have noticed, I have a sort of audience participation fic going in the "Lois and Clark" section. I've resisted breaking character, but curiosity has got the better of me. Due to the format of the story, I haven't been getting any comments, and I'd very much like to know what people are thinking.

Are you reading it? What do you think of it? Are you enjoying it? Is it enough of a new angle, or is it too much like previous visitations? Should I keep posting?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has guessed my identity. I suspect the boards owner may know, but I'm not sure.

While I'm writing, I'd also like to mention that I've been enjoying the responses, especially the one from Mr. Wells.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, yes, I do know where Lois is, what happened to her, what she's doing now and a few other background details. The rest I'm making up as we go along. That is, Clark's actions are based on reader suggestions and other events are based on Clark's actions.

AltClark
Posted By: Smallville Girl Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/04/03 04:14 PM
I suppose there have been no "Comments" because we (at least I) didn't know it was an actual "fic in the making". I assumed it was just a little thread for fun. YES, keep posting! It is fun, I am really looking forward to seeing where this ends up (kinda like a choose your own adventure novel, except we get to make suggestions instead of actually controlling Clark).

Hopefully we don't end up getting Lois killed.

Now that we know it's a fic that we can reply to/participate in, it could be safely moved by the editors here to the Fanfic Folder instead of Lois and Clark. I don't think anyone would have known to reply if it started here.

-Breanna
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/04/03 04:28 PM
Oh, some of us have been guessing, all right... my money's currently on Amac. wink But I may be entirely wrong!

I admit that I hadn't posted in the thread because it did seem a little similar to previous such exercises, in particular The Clark Letters, which is archived here if anyone's interested. But the 'story' does seem to be getting better, and your interventions are very nicely done - poignant, too, as opposed to Lois and Clark's in the original.

So keep it up, but don't forget to unmask sooner or later. wink

Wendy smile
Posted By: HatMan Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/04/03 09:26 PM
count me in for "keep posting." smile i think it's been fun. looking forward to seeing what happens. smile

Paul
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/04/03 11:50 PM
I really like it and can't wait to see what will come out of it either...

Carole
Posted By: TriciaW Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/05/03 02:49 AM
Definitely keep posting! smile1

It's fun reading the different responses. thumbsup

Tricia cool
Posted By: Sira Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/05/03 04:36 AM
It's very much fun!
So...keep posting, please!

I think it's a good idea and I have no idea who you might be! lol

~Sira
Posted By: Shadow Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/05/03 07:32 AM
Oh keep posting! I'm afraid I don't have anything to contribute, but it's quite fun watching everyone else getting into the action and seeing what comes out of it.

Jen thumbsup
Posted By: LabRat Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/05/03 11:09 AM
As others have said, I wasn't aware this was a story and that you were looking for fdk until it was moved in here and a comments thread opened up for it, so that's why I haven't commented prior to now.

Certainly I think you should keep posting! It's fun. It may be a reworking of an idea that's been done in the past - The Clark Letters, as Wendy noted - but there are always new members coming along who haven't participated in this kind of thing and it's always fun and fresh for them. Even for the old hands too, who enjoy this kind of participation fanfic. smile1

Besides, if we didn't revisit and rework ideas, half of us wouldn't be writing anything! goofy

LabRat smile
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/05/03 01:20 PM
I totally and completely agree with everything LabRat said.

we (at least I) didn't know it was an actual "fic in the making".
Join the club, Breanna. smile I had no idea there were such kinds of stories, but they look amazing!

Anyway.

Keep posting and we'll join you wink

Oh, something more. It's not that I'm not dying to know <g>, but I think you should keep your identity a secret...

...until the story is finished.

AnnaBtG.(waiting for more soon wink )
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/05/03 04:00 PM
Thank you for the comments, FOLCs. Sounds like the verdict is for me to keep posting. I'm glad to hear it. smile

Breanna,

I suppose it depends on your definition of "fanfic." I would consider "The Clark Letters" to be a fic. It's a story that uses characters from the show. This is just a thread for fun, but it's also a fic.

I'm sorry if I confused you by posting in the "Lois and Clark" section, but I thought it would be more in character to post there.

Wendy,

LabRat summed up my feelings fairly well. As I tried to indicate with my first post, I have read "The Clark Letters," but I'm also aware that it has been a couple of years since it was posted. There are new FOLCs now who never participated in that story, and I figured it would still be fun for the ones who had. I also figured that this was a new angle.

Thank you for your comments, too.

As for my identity, I will "unmask" when the story is complete or when I leave town on holiday later this summer, whichever comes first. Until then, I won't respond to guesses; eventually, you might guess right and then what would I do? I am, however, still interested in hearing your guesses. I hope you don't think that unfair.

I think that covers everyone. Thanks again for your comments, FOLCs. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I'll keep posting. I hope you will keep posting, too.

AltClark
Posted By: Smallville Girl Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/06/03 02:34 PM
Hi!

Glad to see it's coming along good. Are you posting as Alt Lois too? or is that someone that you are working with? It seems that having her there will facilitate a quicker "rescue" but who knows, maybe you have a bunch of plans up your sleeve that will stop it wink

I hope you don't mind that I posted a picture of Tempus. I don't even know if Tempus is in your story, but he just might be and it'd be good for Lois to know what he looks like.

I almost put a pic of Lex up, but I figured she'd know who he is.

-Breanna
Posted By: KathyB Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/06/03 05:25 PM
I've been gone on vacation this week and am just catching up now on the boards, so I missed the initial set-up and the moving of the thread from L&C to Fanfic. But I just wanted to pop in to say that I am enjoying the game/fic very much and definitely want you to keep posting it. I'm having a great time reading the responses (as I did with "The Clark Letters" and "The Lex Letters" before it) and I'm glad you decided to start a new story like this. Very clever, introducing us to Alt Clark!

I know who one of the 'actors' is (HG Wells, LOL on the response) but no idea who is playing Alt Clark and Alt Lois so far. I'm happy to learn more as the story plays out, though. It's all fun to me! smile

Kathy
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/07/03 11:48 AM
Breanna,

No, I'm not AltLois. Nor am I working with her. I did not contact her prior to her first post and she didn't contact me.

As for posting pictures, don't worry about it. The idea here is that the audience gives the characters information and suggestions and the characters act on that information. So do share information and thoughts about whatever you think relevant. Just remember that things can be different from one universe to another.

Kathy,

Thank you for your comments, encouragement, and compliments, both here and privately. Your enthusiasm and laughter brought the fun back into this for me just when, thanks to various convergent circumstances, I needed it most.

AltClark
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/07/03 04:39 PM
I'm sorry to have to make this post. I've been trying to avoid it.

Let me explain.

I've put a lot of time, effort, and thought into this whole thing. Probably more than you realise. I thought it would be worth it, though, because it would be fun. And it was, at first. But then responses tapered off and and I began to wonder if it was worth the trouble. Maybe I should have waited a bit more, but I, like any author, am also addicted to comments. So, I posted this thread.

That worked out well, and it was very encouraging. Then, just as I was getting back into it, I heard from a couple people who were very upset that I'd broken character. They said it had ruined the whole thing for them and that it was fundamentally wrong. Well, that ruined things for me for a while, but I told myself that I'd got such lovely comments from several other people and had even picked up a new reader or two.

Then I logged in to find "AltLois." I nearly gave up then and there, but some sympathy and encouragement from some fine FOLCs got me through that. I got things back on track and started enjoying it again.

Then, for the second time in as many days, a FOLC came in and, without so much as a "by your leave," attempted to create a deus-ex-machina ending.

It hurt me again, and, if I hadn't headed it off, would have ended the whole thing for me and everyone else.

Maybe I'm just being too possessive, but I can't help but think that it's both rude and thoughtless.

So, I'm going to make a two requests.

First, if you're enjoying this, please take the time to participate. Interact, make some suggestions, pick up on some of the clues. That's what makes it all fun, to me at least.

Second, please don't post anything that directly affects the story's universe without checking with me first. I have an email address listed on my profile (ckent@starplace.com). If you want to do something that directly affects the story's universe, especially if it's a major change (for example, something that would end the story in a single sweeping post), please ask permission before you do so. By the way, I'm also happy to answer private emails.

I'm sorry to have to ask that. Wells did a great job bringing another character into it, and he didn't even need to ask. More characters would have been fun, as they were in "The Clark Letters" and "The Lex Letters." We could have played off each other and had more participation and had fun, if people had kept themselves to constructive posts and used common sense and common courtesy.

Of course, if people really do want it all to end, then I'll just let the story die. I'd like to think, however, that that's not the opinion of the majority of the readers.

AltClark
Posted By: KathyM Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/07/03 06:08 PM
Well, I have been enjoying it, and I should have posted in this thread to say so earlier than this. I've been a few days behind, so I just quickly read through to catch up, and I probably missed out on some of the details. I haven't been participating in the story thread because I haven't had a single solitary suggestion to date, but that doesn't stop my enjoyment of the story, and I've been glad that there have been others to jump in.

It didn't disturb me personally that you broke character to let us know that this was indeed a story, but I can understand why others might not like it. Since this has happened, AltClark, I am addressing my comments to you as the author as opposed to the character.

I'm now editing my post, as I just reread your initial post in this thread. So it seems that you have less of this mapped out in your mind than I had initially thought, although you do have certain other "key" elements that you'll obviously need to introduce at some point. And then of course you are responding to suggestions from your audience. Obviously it is then a problem if someone poses as a character that simply wouldn't fit into the story at that given time, but how is your audience to know that?

I actually had no idea, until reading your most recent post, that you weren't in fact also writing as the AltLois character. I'm sure that whoever was posing as AltLois was not trying to bring the story to an early end - I assume that he or she was simply trying to bring another random element into it. The same with this most recent suggestion that could have ended it all very quickly.

I think you did a very good job heading them both off, and that it's a credit to you - and your imagination - that you can essentially write solutions and answers to the suggestions that your audience is making, whether it's heading it off at the pass or running with it for a while. I imagine that's one of the reasons that you started doing this in the first place: to challenge yourself. From my viewpoint, at least, I doubt that these suggestions were made out of any malicious attempt to end the story prematurely or cause you difficulties. They were simply suggestions.

Now that you've requested that "major" things be floated by you, that will probably help. You say that you would welcome the addition of other characters, but if there is anyone that you would not want to see suddenly appear in your story, perhaps you should say so.

As an often-clueless bystander, that's my take on it, anyway...

KathyM
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/08/03 12:50 PM
Kathy,

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying it.

I realise that there are problems with breaking character. It wasn't something I'd wanted to do. Like I said, responses dwindled rapidly, and I was beginning to wonder if people were actually reading. I can certainly understand FOLCs having trouble with my having broken character, and I don't blame them for speaking their minds. It was just disheartening to hear.

As to the "plot," there is very little that is set. I still don't know what's going to happen next or how Clark will find his Lois. Most of the details you see were invented between one post and the next.

I can't speak for the intentions of those who presented solutions, but I don't think I can agree with you that they were "suggestions." "Clark, I'm Lois. Here I am, come pick me up!" is not a suggestion. It doesn't add to the plot. It ends it suddenly and out of the blue. As I said, ending the plot means ending the story, for myself and for anyone else who was reading, enjoying, and maybe even planning to participate.

For me, the fun is in interacting with the readers, working with their suggestions, and exploring and expanding the universe with them. Yes, I do enjoy thinking on my feet, but I'd prefer that it be in reaction to a constructive post rather than scrambling to find a way to head off something that derails the whole plot.

On that note, I'd like to thank Andrus for stepping in on my behalf. I'd been thinking that I should find someone who wanted to play Andrus, that it was the only way to get the plot moving again without having Clark reject a simple and direct means to acomplishing his goal. I did try explaining that the solution wouldn't work, but, as you saw, the hint wasn't taken. So, imagine my surprise when I logged on to find an email from Andrus and a post that looked exactly like the one I'd been planning to suggest.

If you look at the post, you'll see that Andrus does interact directly with AltClark's universe, but the important thing is that it does so constructively. Rather than ending things, it reopens the possibilities.

So, thank you very much, Andrus. You saved the story.

Kathy, thanks again for your comments. I hope my view is clearer now, whether or not you agree.

AltClark
Posted By: Meni Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/08/03 01:54 PM
AltClark

I don't mind that you had broke character. I really do like this this fanfic...

I really this you are doing a very good job

I can't wait to see how this going go...

Meni wave
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/10/03 10:52 AM
Hi Clark,

Welcome to this universe.

I am finding this developing fanfic very fascinating. I'm even considering participating, but I'm not sure. I'm not a writer, but I think I might have some suggestions as far as the investigation goes.
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/10/03 04:23 PM
Meni,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Thanks also for the assurance that my breaking character hasn't spoiled things for you.

MRlovesDC,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.

Don't worry. You don't have to be a "writer." If you have any ideas, please do post. Maybe they'll be dead ends, but even those can be fun. Maybe they'll lead to something interesting. Even the leads that don't pan out can sometimes be fun to write. I wouldn't have thought of including Dan, Mayson or the DEA if not for Kathy's suggestions. As far as I'm concerned, the more suggestions, the better. If you're still hesitant, think of it this way: the worst that can happen is nothing.

Thanks for posting here. I see it's your first post. I'm honoured.

AltClark
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/11/03 03:33 PM
Mel,

I want to thank you for your participation. I'm glad you took the time. I'm sorry it didn't pan out; it was a very good idea.

I also want to let you know that Lex's fate was one of the few things I had figured out before I started posting. I did mention him briefly in my first post, but no one picked up on it. Because it didn't come up, I never got a chance to insert that detail into the story. So thanks for giving me the opportunity.

While I'm writing, I wanted to ask everyone about Claude's last name. I thought it was appropriate for the character, but after I posted I realised that some might find it at least mildly objectionable. Was anyone offended by it?

Finally, there's something I need to say about the story itself. Now that the bad guys have been captured and the plot explained, there's really only one thing left: finding Lois. I have a feeling it won't be long now that everything else has been squared away.

The reason I mention this is that finding Lois is going to, for lack of a better term, end everything in one sweeping post. There really isn't anything else I can do with it, but I thought I'd give you fair warning. At least we've fully explored the plot, expanded Clark's universe and hopefully had some fun along the way. I know I have.

AltClark
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/12/03 11:55 AM
First I want to tell you that this has been a fascinating exercise in creativity!

I haven't participated because I don't think I have anything to add, however, I do have a comment on the comments.

I can truly understand how having someone try and cut corners on your story as being more than annoying, but I have to agree with Kathy, I don't think that they were being malicious. They just didn't have a clue as to what you really wanted.

If I am not mistaken, this is a mystery that you want solved through good old fashioned reasoning and logical deduction.

I am sure that they were just over zealous in their attempts to push the story along, not realizing that they were prematurely ending it.

I thought that you handled the situations brilliantly. You handled it better than I would have.

James, who is looking forward to the next twist and turn.
Posted By: merry Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/12/03 02:03 PM
AltClark,
I'm enjoying this.
I don't write so I won't participate but I'll continue to read
merry
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/12/03 03:39 PM
James,

Thank you for your enthusiastic comments.

As I said before, I can't speak for the motives of the posters. You're probably right that the intent wasn't malicious, but I found it very upsetting, none the less.

Thanks for your compliments about my management of the situations.

As for the next twist, I just posted it. Hope you enjoy.

Merry,

Thank you for letting me know that you're reading and enjoying. I appreciate it. I'd encourage you to participate, but it's a little late now.

If you'll check the main thread, you'll see that the bad guys have been put away (or soon will be), the plots have been exposed, and Lois has been found.

So, as they say, that's all, FOLCs.

Thanks to those of you who participated. The story couldn't have been written without you, nor would the whole thing have been so much fun. Thanks also to those of you who responded in this thread. I really appreciate your comments and encouragement.

Any further thoughts, questions or comments can go here.

I've revealed my identity to a few people, for various reasons, but the rest of you are free to guess if you want. I'll be back on Sunday to respond to any further posts and to explain who I am and how it was all done.

AltClark
Posted By: LabRat Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/13/03 05:42 AM
I've been catching up on the two threads.

I have sympathy with your being upset by participants getting in your way, AC, but I think I agree with those who've said already that the motivations of both posters you've mentioned weren't intended to be made with any sense of ill-spirit - that's been my interpretation of their posts anyway.

I think, rather, that you may have been a victim of the format. Better control of the story as it went along would have been granted to you if you had worked it as a RPG, setting out rules and gameplay at the start and inviting FoLCs to volunteer to take on various characters. That way you would have been in charge and no one would have misunderstood the parameters of the project or stepped on your toes.

With the chosen format, however, I think it was probably inevitable that you would never have control over events and that participants would leap in as and when they saw fit. So there probably wasn't a lot you could do there to prevent control slipping from you, unfortunately. The only way you could make your wishes known to participants and keep control of the story flow was, unfortunately, to break character and start this thread. Which was a bit of a shame, but really I can't see that you had any other way to let your concerns be known, under the circumstances and within the limits of the chosen format.

It's a shame that some negative responses have dulled your fun with this one - I hope at least that those disagreeing with your breaking character were polite about their objections. wink - and that it hasn't dented your enthusiasm or enjoyment too much. It's clear that those participating have enjoyed it and had a lot of fun with it. smile

LabRat smile
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/13/03 07:50 AM
Loved the ending!!!!!

This is sure to garner some Kerth nominations if not awards!

James
Posted By: Andrus Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/13/03 12:44 PM
So, thank you very much, Andrus. You saved the story.
Aww, thank you "Clark" smile . I and everyone else that assisted me are glad that you appreciated our intervention.

Alicia... I mean, Andrus smile
Posted By: klairl Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/13/03 06:35 PM
What a cool format! Your fantastic thread is even fun to read if found, as in my case, too late to participate.

Wow! thumbsup Thank you so much "Alt Clark."

It does occur to me that if you are not too wounded by the experience, and may hap following Lab Rat's suggestions for protections, you could continue the story a little further by reappearing to ask how to handle getting closer to your "little Tornado" or whatever she is in your universe, and work your own fascinating way through the best of the courting plots.
Again, thank you much,
claire
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/15/03 12:18 PM
LabRat,

As I've already said, you're probably right that the posts weren't ill-intentioned. You're also right that it is, in part, the format. I expected it to be clearer, given the set-up and everything, but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that there were some misunderstandings. If I spoke rashly before, it was because I was upset.

Despite the number of complaints I had (I do hope I wasn't whining too much), I did have a lot of fun with this, especially towards the end.

As for those who disagreed, it will be clearer in a moment, but their comments were "overheard" rather than directed specifically at me. I want to be absolutely clear that I don't blame or hold any grudge against those who spoke. They were only speaking their minds, and they didn't even realise I was there.

I hadn't even meant to mention it here, but combined with the two aforementioned posts, I was pretty sour about the whole thing. That's got better since, mostly due to the positive comments I got shortly thereafter.

Thanks for your comments and peacemaking.

James,

Thanks for your comments. blush I'm glad you enjoyed the ending. I was a bit worried it would seem out of the blue. Thanks for letting me know it worked for you. Also, happy Father's Day. smile

Claire,

I can't claim credit for the format. It's a twist on the brilliant invention of another FOLC (I won't give the name here so as not to ruin the surprise for those who haven't read that story yet). If you haven't already, take a look at "The Clark Letters" on the archive. There's also another one with a different tone archived with the title "The Lex Letters." I think you'll enjoy both of them quite a bit.

I'm sorry that you found the thread too late to participate, but I'm glad you liked the ending.

As for your suggestion, I think I would rather leave things as they are. Stopping here feels right. Besides, I'm not sure it would work as well with a relationship. Thanks for the idea, though.

Kathy, Pam, Carole, and Anna:

Thank you for your posts in the main thread. I'm glad you liked the idea and the story. However, since my response to your posts would have looked more like a comments response, I decided not to reply again to that thread. I hope you're not disappointed.

I'm glad the ending worked for you.

I'm also glad you liked Sam's invention.

Thanks for writing. smile

FOLCs,

I have one more question.

As mentioned, the previous two stories in this format were ultimately archived. The thread was collected, the format edited to make sense in a text file, and the whole thing uploaded.

The thing is that this time there's a comments thread. I'm not sure what should be included in the archive version (I'm assuming there should be a archive version). I also wanted to check with the people who posted to make sure that they were okay with having their work sent to the archives.

Please respond to this thread with your thoughts and suggestions.

I think that's everything. Only one thing left to do.

*AltClark takes off his glasses...
Posted By: HatMan Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/15/03 12:21 PM
... and puts on a different pair.

yep, folcs, it was i.

did i fool you?

here's how i did it:

first of all, when i got the idea, i knew i'd need to set up an email address, both for boards registration and for proper interaction. i'd planned to use one of the comics-related domains available from [http://www.comicbookresources.com]comic book resources,[/url] but when i tried to set up an account, i found out that they're not accepting new registrations.

instead, i did a web search for free webmail companies and then looked through the available domain names. i found a few sites that had multiple domains to choose from, but settled on my own email, which offered the starplace domain. i figured that was about as close as i was going to get to a star labs domain, since starlabs.com and similar addresses had already been registered.

once i had that set up, i tried to figure out how to hide my IP address, since i knew that would be the first thing people would look into. i remembered that there were free ISPs available for those who were willing to put up with an ad banner, but when i looked into them i discovered that a lot had changed. some had closed and most of the ones that are left now require at least a small fee. juno and netzero have merged, and now put a limit of 10 hours a month on free accounts. user reports also indicated that the free service wasn't reliable and that people who actually used the free accounts were quickly labeled "heavy users" and forced to log in during the middle of the night.

then i remembered that my father still has his AOL account. i've had to remove AOL from this computer, since it was causing all sorts of problems, but i have a working copy on my old computer. since i've been using earthlink (which, btw, is far more reliable than AOL) exclusively for the past several months, i figured that would throw the administrators off my trail.

then i realized that my writing style might be recognized. i decided the best way to change that (and to remember to write differently) would be to use UK spelling and grammar. i drew on my experience as a reader, GE, and BR to get that right (those arguments over "gotten" vs "got" and proper use of semicolons and suchlike came in handy) and loaded a UK dictionary in my spell-checker ("and why should the people listen to you?" "because, unlike some other clark kents, i can post with an english accent!" - clark kent, man in tights). unfortunately, the program i have with a UK spell-check only works on my new computer. so, to use it, i had to write on this computer, spell-check, save the file to a USB disk (can't seem to keep blank floppies handy...), boot up the other computer, switch modem cords, plug in the USB disk, etc.

i also made sure not to use some of my favorite words (like "anyway") and to rewrite anything that looked too much like any of my other idiosyncrasies. i feigned ignorance of more techie things like the quote function, the hyperlink function, graemlins, and chatspeak acronyms (such as "otoh" and "btw") and also wrote "FoLCs" as "FOLCs," figuring that would be a good rookie mistake. beyond that, i made sure to be meticulous about spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. i figure using capital letters and using spell-check made a big difference. wink

i did make a mistake in registering. first, i forgot to change my AIM privacy settings so that no one would see that i was online (instead, i just closed the buddy list. i'm still not sure if that did anything). second, i registered at 1am.

anyway, the night before my first post, i made sure to casually mention to at least a few folcs that i planned to be in NYC (and thus AFK) for most of the following day. i posted at 4pm, just before i left for the city. when i logged in to IRC that evening (using my brother-in-law's computer), i found people speculating about "altclark's" identity. i made sure to join in the conversation with a few vague suggestions ("canadians use UK english, too..."). nobody mentioned me as a possibility, which made me grin, but the admins knew that i was in the US, using AOL, and was on eastern time (they were actually speculating that someone from the UK was working with someone from the US). i noted that and made sure from then on to always post around 6-7pm on weekdays, when someone on EST could reasonably be expected to be home from a 9-5 job but when it also wasn't unreasonably late for someone in the UK (since there are many boards members who aren't on IRC, and thus didn't know that i was from the US). that's also a time when i'm not usually online.

so i kept posting, but replies were slower than i expected (even including the reply i posted as myself). so i posted the comments folder to check and see if people were actually reading and if it was worth all the trouble. see, i was spending most of my free time between posts trying to figure out things i could add, what i should say in the next response, and what else i might need or be missing.

comments poured in, which quickly boosted my confidence. but then i overheard some folcs on IRC talking about how bad it was that i had broken character. as i've said before, i don't blame them in the least. i understand where they were coming from, they were only speaking their minds, and they didn't even know i was there. still, it hit me pretty hard.

i left things alone for the rest of that day, and woke up ready to take another crack at it. that's when i found alt-lois's post. again, i don't think that she meant to hurt me (though i certainly wondered when i first saw the post). it probably felt worse than it otherwise would have coming so closely after the aforementioned "overheard" conversation.

i was on IRC when i saw it and i felt the need to talk it through. so i opened up a private window and confessed to wendy that i was altclark and that i was about ready to give up. she offered sympathy, we talked, and the conversation got me going again. i came up with the idea of bringing wells into the picture to explain that they were from different universes. i hadn't been working with wells and i still don't know what, if anything, he intends to do with the nick. i hope i haven't ruined any plans by pointing out his registration. must say again, though, that his posts were really amusing.

anyway, that night i ran into kathy on IRC. she'd just gotten back from a vacation and was catching up. i'd noticed that she'd posted feedback mentioning that she knew who one of the posters was. i was curious and asked if that was altclark. she told me it wasn't, and then asked if i knew. i confessed that i did, and of course she asked if i was going to tell her. i considered saying no, that i should keep the confidence, but decided against it. i'm just too much of a kathy fan. laugh

her response was just what i needed... laughing and enthusiastic and just loving it. i soaked it all in and suddenly found that i was ready to have more fun with altclark than ever before. to do that, of course, i'd need to deal with the altlois situation. i thought about it a bit more and realized i could take care of the universe thing just by having clark not find the right things.

so i got back to plotting and having fun, and i even overheard a few good comments, mostly from saskia (thanks, sas! smile ).

then i woke up to find the second attempt to end the story. you already know what happened with that.

oh, except that i emailed andrus that night after the first andrus post failed to work. alicia and i were both on irc at the time. i watched her get it, listened to people talk about the ideas i'd given her ("he's really thought this through, hasn't he?" laugh ), and helped her refine the post in chat. in the process she figured out that i was altclark. to my knowledge, she's the only one who figured it out.

then again, someone might have caught my mistake at the alt-kerths (btw, i always use the hyphen. clark never does). i was juggling a lot of windows, especially during clark's speech, and accidentally pasted the winner's name with the wrong nick. i panicked and logged clark out earlier than i'd meant. i think it could have been fun if he'd stayed. sorry to anyone i disappointed. otoh, we were a bit worried that altclark would distract too much from the ceremony.

so i guess that's about it. i started out knowing that lois was a private detective (going by either lola dane or linda king... i didn't choose until almost the end), that tempus was responsible for keeping her in the congo, that lex was dead, that clark had been forced to leave his job at the daily planet due to complications with people knowing ck=sm (that detail never made it into the story, btw. i hinted at it in my first post and in clark's profile, but no one asked), and that he was using a special star labs computer. the rest i made up as i went along, adding details as i needed them, thought them up, or worked off the replies.

sam lane's bioluminescent xmas trees were an idea i had several months ago. it just popped into my head, but i didn't have a sam lane story to go with it. so i kept it in the back of my mind that the next time i wrote sam into a story, that's what he'd be doing. i remembered just in time to work it into the story.

so, thanks again, everyone. i had a lot of fun, and i hope you did, too.

Paul
Posted By: klairl Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/15/03 06:15 PM
So, Alt Clark has Hat hair! wink

Your story should be archived! It was obviously well planned and the execution was inspired. Thank you for answering me. I can't believe that you were actually someone I had come to "know" from even my brief visits to the boards.

Congratulations! clap
claire
Posted By: rivka Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 01:29 AM
Ok, I haven't posted at all in either of the two related threads. At first, I just had nothing to contribute. Soon, I was so fascinated, I could only watch in amazement.

And when I thought I might know something... I decided I definitely needed to keep quiet, lest I accidentally slip.

But I wanted to thank you, Paul! laugh For one of the most amusing and involving mysteries I have read in quite some time. And just like all my favorite mysteries... it started off by convincing me the real culprit was definitely not the one... and provided just enough clues for me to figure it out shortly before the denouement. Bravo! thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 02:26 AM
Hey AltClark ...or should I say Hatman!

well, I'm glad you finally unveiled your identity 'cause, well, you never fooled me.

I knew it was you after your second post, and when HG Welles first appeared, I thought "Altclark and Herb are one and the same person" (talk about 'déjà vu').

Still, I had fun participating so, thank you!

Carole
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 04:07 AM
Well done, Paul! Ingenious twist on a concept, and very cleverly set up as a mystery/detective story. I had no idea that this is what you planned when 'AltClark' first posted, and it's been fascinating watching the mystery of Lois's whereabouts unravel. Great work! goofy

Wendy smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 05:43 AM
Of course she will, but Altclark was first on the list (explanation included). I intended to after his "ID revelation". It's only fair and the least I could to.

I'm never around or on the Net on WE, and I can't even go on IRC (I really miss that ) which explains Altlois slow, er...revelation process.

I won't post as Altlois to do a ta dah "it's me" stuff. Why? first, because it's real techie complicated given the slow compy I'm stuck with! Okay, okay:

*opening of the red curtain*

(V.O) "Altlois is Cyad aka Carole...well, duh! it's me. Posting from Orly cyberspace portal. Yeah, I finally manage to catch a Brazzaville-Metropolis via Paris flight...talk about déjà vu too (inside joke)"

*Closing of the red curtain*

Secondly, because Altlois was supposed to be a "one and a single post" character from the beginning, and so will it be. I only used her to provoque reactions from readers, players and...Altclark in order to be real sure it was Paul...and I think it did work (in a way, so no regrets). I don't feel the need to justify myself, I did to the interested people. But if there are more people interested, feel free to email me, to either real or Altverse addy, because it's a bit long to put it here.

Carole

PS: and Wendy...thanks a lot. smile1 Just a question, and feel free to call me dumb but, unless their registration dates appeared at the end of their post, how can I know they're only 'a few days' apart?

PPS: darn! then I was wrong about Welles? I so thought I was right....well, dashing off then, got a few diggings to do. Scratch that, I know who Welles is, now I'm wondering when Herbie will let us know about his FoLC side wink
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 07:19 AM
Good work, Paul! wink

I enjoyed very much these threads (the original story and the comments). And of course I had no idea who AltClark might be... of course your name crossed my mind once, but it was not the only one...considering I know very few about the differences between UK and US English blush

Paul, I'm very glad you decided not to give up. It would be a pity.

Good work for Carole too wink

Well I don't know what you think, but I have to suggest that if someone has any good ideas about this kind of audience participation stories, they should go for it. I don't know who was the first who had this idea, but I don't think it could be considered as plagiarism, or any other kind of immitation. Having this idea, it would be like we were not allowed to write Tank Endings!

Preparing a story like this is not so simple, of course, but I think it's very interesting and I am going to encourage every following attempt.

Hmm... So we know who AltClark is, who AltLois is, who Andrus is... H.G. Wells is next, I think wink

Congratulations once again to Paul for your brilliant idea and the way you worked on this Alt universe.

See ya all soon.
AnnaBtG. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 07:35 AM
Kalemera Anna_B!

and thanks for your comments, or should I say Epharistau? Correct my ancient geek if I'm wrong, but you must admit it's not that easy to type in Cyrillic on an azerty keyboard wink

I totally agree with you and your example of TE is well chosen.

So long for the 'one and only post! Blame me, I couldn't resist! smile1

Carole (who seriously considers giving TE a try)

PS: and for HG Welles it's... up to the person hiding behind to do the revelation thingy :rolleyes:
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 08:01 AM
Parakalo! (Or should I say "&#928;&#945;&#961;&#945;&#954;&#945;&#955;&#974;!"? - I guess you know what this means too smile )

Your Greek is very good, Carole! Where did you learn?

A correction: Greek language doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Greek alphabet (although Cyrillic alphabet comes from the Greek one... a long story smile )

AnnaBtG. smile1 (who used to be sad when she thought that no FoLC could understand her language, but now thinks she may be wrong wink )
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 08:29 AM
Anna_BtG!!! smile

yep I know what it means!

Well, I learned at school when I was 14, we had to choose between greek or latin...the indiana jones fan in me went for the greek option (that plus the fact that I got 19/20 at the greek pretest and (don't laugh)...1/20 at the latin one).

My comprehension of the greek language is fine, but I never went there, and so I don't think I'm able to speak it. I mean, 14 is now way behind me (all is relative of course, still...the difference now is that my latin is much better wink ). But i'm glad you're less sad now smile1

Carole

PS: I know greek alphabet isn't cyrillic alphabet but...they're real close...as a matter of fact, the greek one helps me a lot with russian wink

PPS: Do you think there's a greek hidden signification in the 'Kal' part of Kal-El's name? rotflol
Posted By: HatMan Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 11:24 AM
i'll respond to comments later, when i have a clearer head. for now, i just want two things absolutely clear.

1. i am not wells. (i think that was already clear, but it doesn't hurt to say it again)

2. wells is the one identty in all this that wasn't created specifically for this story. wells quite likely has other plans. it is not fair to ask wells to reveal his or her identity. i only hope that i haven't interfered in any plans. in fact, if wells had posted an email address, i would have checked first to be sure that i wouldn't be causing problems.

Paul
Posted By: HatMan Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/16/03 10:53 PM
claire,

lol, and thanks. smile

rivka,

i'm sorry you didn't participate, but i'm glad you enjoyed. smile i'm very glad to hear it worked so well for you. smile

Oh, and I just loved so many of the little details you worked in! The gun-laden movie versions, the amusingly alt-ered back-stories of the various characters... nice stuff!
thank you. smile that was certainly a large part of the fun for me... coming up with little throw-aways, figuring out neat little twists, trying out possibilities to see what worked best, etc. glad to hear you enjoyed it, too.

wendy said:

Well done, Paul! Ingenious twist on a concept, and very cleverly set up as a mystery/detective story. I had no idea that this is what you planned when 'AltClark' first posted, and it's been fascinating watching the mystery of Lois's whereabouts unravel. Great work!
wow, thanks! (/me suddenly wonders how many times he can say thanks in a single post without getting overly repetitive... wink ).

just funny that you should say that you didn't realize that this sort of mystery was what i'd intended. i guess some things were clear enough in my own mind that i sort of expected others to pick up on them as well. (that and my experience playing RPGs with friends led me to assume some basic rules and understandings)

which leads me to carole. i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. obviously, as i said, some things just weren't as clear as i'd thought.

PS: and Wendy...thanks a lot. Just a question, and feel free to call me dumb but, unless their registration dates appeared at the end of their post, how can I know they're only 'a few days' apart?
registration dates appear in user's profiles. you can search for a specific profile in the directory (using the link in the upper right corner of most boards pages) or you can read someone's profile by clicking on the profile link found on each post (looks like a little person standing next to a rollodex card. it's the first icon after the post's timestamp).

also, in this specific case, if you'll look carefully at altclark's first post, you can see that i mentioned the fact that wells registered a week before clark.

moving on to anna's post..

I enjoyed very much these threads (the original story and the comments). And of course I had no idea who AltClark might be... of course your name crossed my mind once, but it was not the only one...considering I know very few about the differences between UK and US English blush
i'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, and that i managed to keep you guessing. thanks for letting me know. smile

as for US vs UK english, the differences can be fairly subtle ("realize" vs "realise," for example). many wouldn't notice them at all. i certainly wouldn't expect it of someone whose native language is not english. also, let me add that you speak english very well; far better than i can speak any other language at this point (i'm a few years out of pratice).

as to audience participation fics in general, i agree; they're pretty fun. smile each one is different, based on the tone and direction the author takes and on the audience's responses. take a look at the clark letters (the first such fic in this fandom that i know of) and the lex letters (the only other one that i know of). this one is the third. each of the three was started by a different folc, each one had a different tone, each featured different characters, and each one went differently. they're all well worth the read, imo.

anyway, thanks again to everyone for your comments and participation. despite my panicking over one thing after another, i did have a lot of fun with this, too.

btw, i still haven't heard answers to my questions:

1. should the comments folder be archived with the main story?

2. if you posted in the main thread (and possibly if you posted here, too), do you mind having your work archived?

maybe it's better if i put question 2 this way:

please let me know here or by email if you don't want your post(s) archived.

also, as a follow-up to question 1:

if the comments folder is not included (for the record, i'm leaning towards not archiving it), any suggestions on how to include the "who is altclark?" explanation post?

Paul
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 12:39 AM
registration dates appear in user's profiles. you can search for a specific profile in the directory (using the link in the upper right corner of most boards pages) or you can read someone's profile by clicking on the profile link found on each post (looks like a little person standing next to a rollodex card. it's the first icon after the post's timestamp).
also, in this specific case, if you'll look carefully at altclark's first post, you can see that i mentioned the fact that wells registered a week before clark.
did that after reading Wendy's post, but thanks for the technical explanation...yeah, I'm such a techie nerd, you know! (LOL)

(i'm a few years out of pratice)
Don't beat yourself down. Who wouldn't except a daily globe-trotter? What are your other languages? (if you don't mind the asking since it's not fic related). So for the 100% fanfic questions:

It's a tough one, but I think yes, it should. Either after the fanfic itself, or by including comments into the Finding Lois fic. I know it will be disturbing, and unconventionnal, but it could allow readers that didn't participate to follow the interrogations of the mb readers 'live' while sticking to the story's chronology. But it's just my 2 cents. That also mean you'll have to do a little patchwork exercice...

2. if you posted in the main thread (and possibly if you posted here, too), do you mind having your work archived?
not at all.

please let me know here or by email if you don't want your post(s) archived.
See reply above.

also, as a follow-up to question 1:
if the comments folder is not included (for the record, i'm leaning towards not archiving it), any suggestions on how to include the "who is altclark?" explanation post?
Not archiving it? Ookaaay. Then I'll go for the explanation post as an epilogue. But again, these are just suggestions.

good luck with the pre-archiving work,

Carole

PS: and for HG Wells, I wouldn't even think of pushing things since I've got a clearer view of this issue now.
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 04:38 AM
Thanks for the links, Paul. I read the Clark letters and now I'm going to read the Lex letters, too.

-Let me comment a few things here:) :

also, let me add that you speak english very well;
Thanks blush

far better than i can speak any other language at this point (i'm a few years out of pratice).
It's natural. You have no idea how much I practice my foreign languages (although I'm still at the "learning" level).
And btw I loved the idea for Claude's last name. rotflol

-The answer to your first question:
Hmm... I'm not sure about what to say. I also tend to say "no", but there's this "who is AltClark" thing...

I have an idea to propose you: As Carole said, use an Epilogue, starting with:

Only one thing left to do.

*AltClark takes off his glasses...
For the ending I have two suggestions:
a) Only the
... and puts on a different pair.

yep, folcs, it was i.
b) All of your first post as Hatman.

This is my idea, feel free to use it or not use it.

-The answer to your second question:
Of course not! (Although my posts were not very... ehm... you know what I mean...)

Okay I think that's it (for the moment, at least)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 05:30 AM
LOL, I almost forgot Claude's last name. Thanks for making me aware of it Anna!

I had a great Laughing time with that though, the french in me would have gone for a masculin form of Chienne...but Claude Delechien or Duchien doesn't have the same punch.

Still, Claude Deschiens (plural...french tv show inside joke)

Carole
Posted By: Smallville Girl Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 09:08 AM
Paul!

lol! GREAT Job! I had no idea it was you...though I can't say it's surprising...it's totally something I could have seen you do.

I really enjoyed participating in it smile and I wish I could have more.

I also wanted to check with the people who posted to make sure that they were okay with having their work sent to the archives.
Count me in! laugh

-Breanna
Posted By: KathyB Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 09:11 AM
I would recommend against including the comments folder when you archive the story. It doesn't add anything to the plot, and I think it would be a distraction to the fun of the story to see all the behind the scenes stuff, especially since it wasn't all fun and games.

I would, however, add a "cast of characters" at the end of the file for those people who used aliases (Alt Clark, Alt Lois, Andrus, Wells if that person chooses). I personally wouldn't include the "how I did it" stuff either, but that's up to you.

And yes, you have my permission to include my posts in the archived story.

Kathy (if I missed any questions, let me know)
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 09:19 AM
I'm not sure I posted anything worth archiving (I think I came in pretty late) but if you want to include anything by me, feel free.

PJ
Posted By: Meni Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 11:44 AM
Hey Paul

I finally catching up with this...

Well done mate...

It was a great idea and i loved reading it...

Meni wave
Posted By: H.G. Wells Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 12:34 PM
My dear fellow!

I am extremely distressed to discover that you are a Mr Paul Hatman rather than the Clark Kent I know and admire so well. Can it be that this is yet another alternate dimension in which Clark Kent and Lois Lane do not create Utopia? I suppose I should be grateful that your name is not Joseph. Do you, perchance, own a porcine companion?

I must confess that it is quite daunting to realise that there are universes where the various counterparts refuse to play their proper roles. I have just returned from such a dimension, where all my efforts to repair the damage to the correct timeline proved fruitless. How sad that the Lois Lane and Clark Kent of that universe ignored the true path to their destiny. Why do the young have to run before they can walk? There was another universe, as well, where the Clark Kent in question only reluctantly acceded to my insistence that he take up the mantle as Superman. Even if his sun was the wrong spectrum, he should have understood that it is only natural to follow my suggestions!

At times like these, I comfort myself by remembering my successes, of which there have been so many. I recall one universe in which Kal El became an *actor*, and it took a considerable amount of careful prompting and guidance before he realised his true vocation!

I am somewhat perplexed at this insistence that I, too, am hiding a secret identity. I can assure you all that this is not the case. I registered at this forum for the singular purpose of pursuing my self-appointed destiny as deus ex machina for all the Lois Lanes and Clark Kents of the infinite universes. Who is more suited, after all?

H.G. Wells
Posted By: KathyB Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/17/03 04:02 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Oh, this is pricless! Let me guess ...

I have just returned from such a dimension, where all my efforts to repair the damage to the correct timeline proved fruitless. How sad that the Lois Lane and Clark Kent of that universe ignored the true path to their destiny. Why do the young have to run before they can walk?
Pam's "H is for Hubris"?

There was another universe, as well, where the Clark Kent in question only reluctantly acceded to my insistence that he take up the mantle as Superman. Even if his sun was the wrong spectrum, he should have understood that it is only natural to follow my suggestions!
Oh, shoot, I'm waiting for the sequel to get finished before I read the first one, but might this be Chris Carr's "An Extraordinary Man"?

At times like these, I comfort myself by remembering my successes, of which there have been so many. I recall one universe in which Kal El became an *actor*, and it took a considerable amount of careful prompting and guidance before he realised his true vocation!
LOL!! Is this Wendy's univers ... oh, shoot, what's the title? "Big Boys Do Fly"!

Too funny!

Kathy
Posted By: HatMan Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/18/03 12:17 AM
carole,

i was once fluent in hebrew and i took french for a few years. other than that, i can understand dog most of the time (though i can't speak it), i can get by in c and c++, and i'm fairly good with odd facial expressions.

thanks for your input on archiving.

anna, hope you enjoyed the clark letters. have fun with the lex letters. smile

glad you liked claude's name. like i said, i hope no one was offended. good to hear you found it funny. smile

thanks for your suggestions, too. smile

lol! GREAT Job! I had no idea it was you...though I can't say it's surprising...it's totally something I could have seen you do.
blush

thanks, breanna!

kathy, thank you. i like your idea. thinking things through, it seems like the best way to go. i think i may add a link to the boards TOC for those who want. not sure. in any case, i'm going to give it some time.

if i'd sent it in too early, i'd have missed wells's latest post, which was absolutely hilarious (though the one in this thread is even better).

pam, i'd like to include all the posts in the main thread. i just don't feel right archiving something that someone else wrote without checking first.

meni, thank you! smile i'm glad you enjoyed it. thanks for taking the time to let me know.

mr. wells,

i'm sorry for the confusion. no, i do not have a porcine companion, unless you count an overweight dog with an occasionally porcine appetite.

i'm also sorry to hear that the universes have been so uncooperative. all that pesky free will and chaotic anti-determinism must really get in your way sometimes.

as for your identity, that seems to have been a misunderstanding. what with all the rest of the confusion with alternate identities, things got a little mixed up. fortunately, i believe we were able to sort it out ourselves this time, leaving you to deal with confusion in your other adopted universes.

also, may i say, sir, that you are a much better deus ex machina than mr myxyzptlk.

kathy,

i agree. it is both hilarious and priceless.

/me tips his hat to the incomperable mr wells.

thanks for catching bbdf. that was a reference i'd been having trouble with. but you seem to have missed a couple, too...

Can it be that this is yet another alternate dimension in which Clark Kent and Lois Lane do not create Utopia? I suppose I should be grateful that your name is not Joseph.
chris carr's "a most irregular joe."

Do you, perchance, own a porcine companion?
my smart kids un-twist, unless i'm mistaken.

the next one does sound like h is for hubris, but wasn't there also one more recently posted... some kind of challenge, i think... with wells and a "utopia" founded by dan scardino... can't seem to find it, tho.

i think the one after that is, indeed, extraodinary man. do read it soon. it's well worth it. smile

i think that's all. did i miss any?

(btw, mr wells, if you want to respond indirectly to any of this stuff about story references- to correct me or something- please feel free to email me and i'll pass it along)

Paul
Posted By: Hazel Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/18/03 01:40 AM
Paul,

I didn't have much to say re the story (I read detective stories, I don't write 'em wink ), but it was great fun to read. Yes, do archive this! And I agree that a simple epilogue in which you "take off your glasses and put on your own," so to speak, is the perfect solution.

i'm also sorry to hear that the universes have been so uncooperative. all that pesky free will and chaotic anti-determinism must really get in your way sometimes.
rotflol Oh, yeah. You tell him!

I agree that this would have been more fun if a few more "characters" would have joined the fray, but it was quite satisfying as is. Thanks for starting this, Paul!

Hazel, who can't help wondering in Yvonne ever plans to archive OUATIM...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/18/03 03:24 AM
Paul,

Thanks for sharing this language thing. As interesting as your grasp on dog dialect might be, I'm afraid it doesn't count.

Otherwise i'll have to mention my fluentness in cat, dog, fly and plant languages which, to my dismay, most academicians still won't consider as official nor minor languages (the nerve of some people!)...I still fail in understanding porcine representatives...go figure.

Carole

PS: still, I'm impressed with the Hebrew, cela ne doit pas être une langue facile.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/18/03 04:56 AM
Hazel, who can't help wondering in Yvonne ever plans to archive OUATIM...
I think the problem is finding the time to pull it all together out of the list posts, Hazel. I kind of volunteered my services there to Yvonne a few years back and had to give up after only a dozen posts - it was a complete nightmare and impossibly time-consuming. Sorry, Y!

So, I think the only way it will ever be archived, sadly, is if Yvonne or someone else ever gets a huge amount of free time together to sort it all out. frown

LabRat smile
Posted By: Hazel Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/18/03 07:25 AM
Hmmm... I have all 322 e-mails saved in a separate mailbox of Eudora. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to edit out the techincal stuff with S&Rs? Or were you and Yvonne working from the weekly logs?

Paul, I'm not trying to preempt your thread here. smile But I think it would be lovely to have OUATIM see the light of day.

Hazel

"Jimmy, find me a dentist!"
Posted By: AltClark Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/18/03 01:22 PM
hazel,

thanks for your comments and advice. glad to hear you enjoyed the story. smile

as to the characters, yeah it would have been more fun to have more people to play with, but i'm happy with what we had. the whole thing about this genre is that it's unpredictable. things could always be better or worse.

as for OATIM (which i am informed was a ficlist roleplay called "once upon a time in metropolis"), i'm sorry to have missed it. thanks for pointing it out. now i can look forward to (hopefully) seeing it later.

Paul, I'm not trying to preempt your thread here. But I think it would be lovely to have OUATIM see the light of day.
thanks, but don't worry about it. now that i've heard of the story, i'm very interested in seeing it, too. it is also related, in a way, to this story, so it seems appropriate to have continued the discussion here.

actually, let me add that i'll be going in and out of town a lot over the next couple of months, but that i should have time again in august. so if you (yvonne, labby, hazel, whoever) need help sorting through all those posts then, i'll be glad to do what i can.

carole,

while we're talking about languages, i realized that i didn't respond to this last time:

I had a great Laughing time with that though, the french in me would have gone for a masculin form of Chienne...but Claude Delechien or Duchien doesn't have the same punch.
duchien (to my knowledge, there's no such thing as "de le") would not have worked. there's a particular english idiom having to do with men who are descended from female dogs. i suppose i could have gone with dechienne, which would have been less cumbersome but also less accurate or d'unechienne, which would have been more accurate but also more awkward. i thought de la chienne (literally translated: "from the female dog") was the best compromise.

PS: still, I'm impressed with the Hebrew, cela ne doit pas être une langue facile.
it was an easy enough language for me, but that's probably because i started learning it nursery school (2 years before first grade). at that age, almost any language is easy to learn.

Paul

EDIT: sorry. logged in last night to write a response in the other thread, but my comp crashed before i could post. forgot i was still logged in with this nick. oh well.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/18/03 11:31 PM
carole,
while we're talking about languages, i realized that i didn't respond to this last time
you're right, that's intolerable!! rotflol

duchien (to my knowledge, there's no such thing as "de le") would not have worked. there's a particular english idiom having to do with men who are descended from female dogs. i suppose i could have gone with dechienne, which would have been less cumbersome but also less accurate or d'unechienne, which would have been more accurate but also more awkward. i thought de la chienne (literally translated: "from the female dog") was the best compromise. [QUOTE]

Seems I've got a problem with the quote signs :p

right again. There's no such 'de le' thing in french. But it was a way to litterally stick and translate the La Chienne into masculine. Because in France, when you add De before the last name, it usually (not always) acknowledge a noble title (like baronness, count, prince, etc). And you can go with very long names lkie: du Fayet de La Tour, Roullée de la Bouille, Duguet de la Tour Du Pin (all fictive names but... see my point). I guess the idiom you're refering to would be 'son of a bitch' something like that. The litteral translation would have been "fils de pute" (much more cumbersome that the one you picked up) wink

[QUOTE]it was an easy enough language for me, but that's probably because i started learning it nursery school (2 years before first grade). at that age, almost any language is easy to learn.
You're right (is it becoming a trade mark of yours)? Though In two years I added 4 new languages to my resume (and I don't find them uneasy to learn). True it's easier when you're young, I guess it has to do with the fear of not being understood by natives... but I might be *wrong* here.

EDIT: sorry. logged in last night to write a response in the other thread, but my comp crashed before i could post. forgot i was still logged in with this nick. oh well.
These things happen. At one time in the fic, I was answering as Cyad. Just before hitting 'add reply' I noticed the "hello Altlois" greeting up there, in the window's left corner and I was like "whoops!"...An no, I'm not babbling or disgressing again!

Carole
Posted By: LabRat Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/19/03 06:43 AM
Hmmm... I have all 322 e-mails saved in a separate mailbox of Eudora. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to edit out the techincal stuff with S&Rs? Or were you and Yvonne working from the weekly logs?
I have no idea what Yvonne tried. For myself I didn't have much choice but to trawl through the list's archive searching for OUTIM posts as I didn't save them myself. For various reasons, S&R didn't help, no. It came down to manually removing dozens of text lines.

I've been offered help by The Lurker - thanks! - who had saved all the posts into one text file, which should certainly get us advanced at least one stage.

But if you think you have a handle on it and a file ready to go, Hazel, and that it will be easy for you to do, by all means have a go! thumbsup

LabRat smile
Posted By: Hazel Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 06/19/03 08:16 AM
Since the e-mails were in a separate folder, all I had to do was save the .mbx file as a .txt file. All done. smile

I see what you mean about the techie stuff needing to be removed manually: every e-mail is dated and marked individually! eek I spent half an hour just now scrolling through the file and removing chunks at a time, and I got through... um... about ten percent. help

Does The Lurker have an addy where she can be reached? Maybe we can coordinate. smile

Hazel, who enjoys spontaneous RPG's

EDIT: I worked on this sporadically throughout the day, putting in, perhaps, another ninety minutes' worth. It wasn't as bad as I thought, since the deleting was exponential. smile By the time I'd deleted entire chunks of comments, discussions re trousers vs. pants laugh and Heinlein, Star Trek, LotR, and the oldest living woman to give birth... goofy At any rate, the file size went down from well over 400 pages to less than 150. So ~whew~!

So... who wants it now? Yvonne? Labby?

Hazel, who had forgotten the peanut butter jars and the tuning fork rotflol
Posted By: HatMan Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 01/23/04 11:00 PM
last night, i had some time on my hands. kinda between fics at the moment, since i can't write the poll story until the poll closes and i've got no other active wips right now. a conversation on irc got me inspired to do something productive, so i decided to see if i could get this story ready for the archives.

well, i did the whole thing. wasn't too bad, really, since there isn't much editing involved. i kept the posts as-is, pretty much. removed signatures and such (in keeping with the format used for "the clark letters" and "the lex letters"), but not much else.

the part i'm stuck on is the author list.

currently, the way i have it is this:

the "cast of characters" with a listing of the 4 characters involved (alt-clark, alt-lois, wells, and andrus) with the names of the authors next to them. wells is credited as "Himself?" but for the other 3, i used whatever name was listed on the archive ("Paul-Gabriel Wiener," "Cyad," and "Alicia U," respectively).

after that, there's a list of the boards members who posted as themselves. "the clark letters" didn't include such a list, but "the lex letters" did. it seemed like a good idea to me, but i've been thinking about taking it one step further. what i have now is a list of the boards nicks of the members who posted (in order of posting), and, next to each poster who has at least one story on the archive, the name which that poster has listed on the archive (if different from the boards nick). for example, i have "HatMan AKA Paul-Gabriel Wiener" and "Tank AKA Tank Wilson."

what i want to know is if that's okay with everyone. i figured, since the archive is public, that would be okay, but i wanted to double-check. if you have a different preference, let me know -- here or privately. if it's okay, you can let me know that, too.

thanks,

Paul
p.s. hazel, i'd completely forgotten about that ficlist story. if you've still got the file, you can send it here. i'll work on it as i get the chance. smile
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 01/24/04 10:05 AM
Hi Paul,

Great to hear that you're working on archiving this! To the extent that I may have contributed in any worthwhile way (not sure that I did, actually smile ) feel free to include my contributions as you propose.

And I hope that Hazel and the Lurker manage to get OUATIM up as well; it'd be terrific to see all that again!

Wendy smile
Posted By: Hazel Re: Comments: Finding Lois Lane - 01/28/04 07:27 AM
Paul,

It'll be great fun to see Clark stumble his way to "Linda" on the archive! smile

Regarding OUATIM, I passed the file on to Yvonne a long time ago. It was her baby to start with, so it's up to her now. smile

Hazel
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards