Well, I had tried to reply earlier, but my reply wouldn't come out as I wanted. Basically (given that in my country Christianity has played a major role in our history - if you want details, just ask - and that I am an Orthodox Christian), I believe that the celebrations should depend on the existing laws on religion: If the country is considered a 'Christian' country, then Christian holidays should be holidays. Same goes for Islamic countries etc.. That said, individuals can get their own holidays. A shop owner might choose not to operate their shop during a day they consider a holiday. I suppose that a clerk can ask for a one-day vacation from their boss (or, hell, call in sick for once! goofy ) As for decorations and stuff, I believe everyone should do as they wish, but the officials must have drawn a line and act according to it, keeping into consideration the beliefs of the citizens.

Also, some said that they don't regard Christmas as a Christian holiday, but rather like a season when they can celebrate love etc.. If you have a holiday from work anyway, sure, why not celebrate? Besides, with the new year and all, it's logical. But then it's not *Christmas*, right? It's just 'the holidays' or something to that effect, and it sounds absurd to me that an atheist, for example, would celebrate Christmas meaning that they'd exchange gifts and would have a party, without anything related to Christ. huh

I'm sure this didn't come out as I wanted. Whatever. I tried.

One more thing I noticed:

but the early Christians were Catholic.
We Orthodoxes believe that the early Christians were Orthodoxes and that the Catholics have altered the original Christian faith. Not trying to start a fight here, just thought that you'd like to keep this in mind for future reference, Laura. A perfect example of how everyone thinks they're right and that the 'others' are wrong.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...