Good discussion... personally, I get annoyed when Christian symbols are deemed off-limits. Seeing a menorah doesn't offend me, why should seeing a manger offend anyone? I wouldn't be too happy with a Wiccan thing, as someone postulated, but I'd just roll my eyes and move on; that's what tolerance means.

Christianity is a big part of America's cultural history; something like 90% of Americans identify themselves as Christians. (I was reading about it earlier; if I find the link, I'll post it) This is a democracy, right? So what 90% of the people think should be given some consideration. I understand it's important for the government to treat all religions equally (trust me, the last thing I want is a theocracy), but merely displaying symbols or singing songs is *not* promoting a theology. Neither is teaching historical facts, like the religion of our Founding Fathers.

Anyway, when I wish someone a Merry Christmas, I'm just saying that I want them to be happy. What's offensive about that?

PJ
(Merry Christmas, y'all!)

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K