I'm with Kae here... and maybe that's because we're European.

I'm not a Christian, my parent's are Christain, but by nature of my birth I was bought up in 'Christian' country. It's traditions, holidays, and values have roots in Christianity. So you can't escape it really.

I celebrate Christmas, not because of Christ, but because it's a time for my family and friends, and to celebrate the year and so on... and in that sense I think it goes back beyond Christianity to pagan beliefs. The food, the gifts, the tree, the decorations, the companionship - these don't really have anything to do with Christianity really. Not particularly. And I don't see why anyone can't get involved with these things. I don't think anyone would be really offended by these.

But this year, by nature of my new job (which involves working with people from different faiths) and my new housemate, who's Jewish, I've had a bit of a different perspective on Christmas, and in fact a lot of things we do in the UK.

Sure, Christians, or those from a Christian background, are still the majority in this country. But, and here is the biggy, some of the things we do, whilst we think we are being inclusive, are actually exclusive. And this is wrong.

Like having an employee's Christmas lunch, with free wine on the table. Why not make it an end of year celebration, and find some other way to show your employees you care than plying them with alcohol?

Yes, we are the majority, but with that comes responsibility. And that means recognising that the religious parts of Christmas can exclude people.

And if we are excluding people, aren't we going against the whole meaning of Christmas in the first place?

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.