Originally posted by Female Hawk:
Writing and reading fanfic is what we do best, so it seems logical to use those skills to raise money for the site. I'm assuming there would be no issues with copyright because the authors wouldn't be directly benefiting from their stories.

If we decide to hold an author auction, I'm willing to write a 1000 word story.
I agree completely with Corrina, here. Include having me available to write a story. I'd need clarification on whether this would be a collaboration with the highest bidder (discussing the plot with them and where it would go), or more of a (for example) "write a story where Lois finds herself pregnant but can't recall being intimate with anyone in the past year." (And, yes, that is more of a SR prequel storyline due to the memory wipe kiss implication.) Or would that be something determined by the writer and bidder?

A guesstimate taken from the next part of WC shows that 1000 words would be for me roughly about 3 double spaced pages worth. eek A challenge, indeed. Unlike the great Lynn S.M., limiting some of us to a mere 1000 words on a given subject might be worth a high bid just to make us sweat. wink Writing only 100 words on demand is unfathomable (but not impossible), unless I was trying for poetry. Given that I haven't written any poetry since before the turn of the millennium, the result would be highly cheesy at best.

ETA - just had another idea along similar lines. An author could write a first chapter. Then the readers could bid for the right to direct where the story goes next. This might only happen once (for a two-parter) or multiple times depending on the willingness of the writer to continue. The end result could be clap and a surprise to everyone, including the author.
Corrina, you challenge us as writers. clap Would this be like a "choose your own adventure" type choice, where the author suggests 5 possible scenarios and the highest bid wins? Or would this be the highest bid would then direct the writer where the second chapter (and possibly the end of the story) goes?

Another option could be that one writer pens the first chapter and other writers bid to the right to write the second chapter. A Chapter total could be decided upon at the beginning of the auction. Let's say, it's a 5 part story would then have 5 different authors. Of course, it wouldn't be a quick turnaround for a fundraiser unless the writers bid before the story has been written. For example: Female Hawk has a idea on how to start a WAFFy romance, but no idea where she would take it. She would pay a set $5 fee to write the initial chapter, pick the characters, and tone, then auction off writing Ch 2-5. I could then bid on Ch 2, Writer X Ch 3, Writer B Ch 4, Writer M Ch 5. Corrina then when she completed her first chapter would post it and it would be up to me to write the second (and take the story in any direction I choose in the theme of "WAFFy Romance") and post it in a timely fashion, and so on.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.