Originally posted by Mouserocks:
On the topic of swearing in general, I have to say, the majority of you have not visited a high school campus in recent years if you think you can go a day without hearing a minimum of *one* swear word. Or even younger. No one in my family ever swore growing up, and I'm the oldest kid in my family, and yet I'd learned the f-word by fourth grade. You can pretty much sit anywhere on a high school or college campus and not go as much as five minutes without hearing something. Or a mall. Or out in public anywhere, basically. I will agree that a large majority of them are "kids", but I have had *many* professors and teachers who used quite a bit of language, and not just "damn" or "hell". (Then again, I'm involved in a very different industry, so it's probably not that way for everybody.) I think context is the difference-- like it's somehow okay to say a certain word if it's just an adjective and they're using it to replace the word "really" or something. But if the term were used in a graphic or explicit manner, there would certainly be ten times the consequences. Why it really makes a difference, I've no idea. I think that most cases of adults swearing are reactionary/temper-related, though, not just throwing the words around like kids to be "cool". *Most* people if they do swear aloud, realize what they say as soon as they've said it, and don't repeat the word again.
That's true, Mouse. I mostly speak with kids under 10 and their mothers and teachers. I also live in a small town, where such freedom to speak profanity is frowned upon in public spaces. I am sorry to hear that your teachers and professors feel the need to swear in the classroom. frown My kids have heard swear words (Thanks "Short Circuit" and "Goonies" grumble and I have to say their father :rolleyes: , who doesn't curb his speech in front of them as much as I try to), but they know what are acceptable and not acceptable words to use in my house. Then, again, in our house calling someone "stupid" is considered a swear word and is forbidden (unless referencing politicians, but that's another topic altogether.)

On the other hand, I've been laughed at for using things like "whoops" or "geez louise" in place of swear words at times. huh
We weren't allowed to use any words my mother didn't say herself; although, we had heard them in RL and in movies. My favorite "swear phrase" that I liked to use (and still do from time to time) is "Tough Cookies!" laugh

NOW, mecry Come on, don't tell me 6 is too old to be seen holding his mamma's hand. Thankfully, he changed his mind back again by the next day. Phew./

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.