LMA wrote...The show really guides my mental image of whatever I read. Because the show didn't really go there, I never really expect the characters to go too far into that area
Totally agree with you there! I've only written one story for L&C, but I've written quite a few in another fandom. When I'm writing, I try and keep a picture of the characters in my head, and write them accordingly.
Did we ever hear the characters swear on the show? I'm trying to remember but I really don't think we did. It would've been really out of character, especially for Clark, and I think that kind of carries over to fanfic.

Speaking personally, I work in an area that's very male-dominated and the average age of the staff is around 18 or 19. So I do tend to hear a lot of profanity. I limit what I say myself, especially now that I have a toddler that's learning to talk! The odd swear word doesn't really bother me. It's when it's over the top that it gets to me.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg