Originally posted by scifiJoan:
I used to write CSI fanfiction. I remember having a somewhat similar discussion about the use of profanity on the show and in fanfiction. Many felt it was unrealistic that the characters didn't use swear more. It made me sad when several people in the discussion responded that everyone used those words. They heard them on a daily basis.
That is sad, Joan, that those people have such a lack of imagination. I go many days and weeks without hearing it, so clearly their assumption about "everyone" was wrong. wink Additionally, they must not have been thinking properly about their characters and how OOC it would be for them to swear. I know people are more lax about work-place etiquette these days (another sad fact about society) but if I were Gil Grissom or Lieutenant Brass and one of my CSI's starting using profanity while on the job, he/she would get a stern talking to, if not written up. It's highly unprofessional.

Many young people think that they hear it "everywhere" but if they think about it, they really don't. Sure, they and their friends probably use it, but I doubt they hear their teachers, or college professors, or bosses swearing up a blue streak. I'm sure the clerk at the DMV is tempted after the 50th rude customer of the day, but they refrain. The waitress at the coffee shop or the guy at McD's drive thru window would be stupid to swear in front of customers and still expect to have a job the next day. I'm sure Annie doesn't use every word in the dictionary while in the library either. wink Jobs where swearing (even in front of customers) doesn't make anyone blink are few and far between.

Cat may come into the newsroom in a skimpy bikini when it's 100' in Metropolis, but I'm betting Perry would pull her or anyone else aside if that person started using vulgar terms at work.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.