if you've written the story well enough, you really don't need to say, "The End." The tone of the concluding paragraph(s) of your work should already tell the reader that it's the end of the story, without you saying so
No, no, no! Say it isn't so! Those are my two favorite words to write! My two favorite words in the English language. I live to write those words! I never allow myself to write them until the moment when I can put down my pen and say, "Thank god, that's over!" I'll never be able to write another word if I can't type 'The End.' It will destroy the writing experience completely for me laugh

(Okay, I'm joking. Sort of blush - as Carol and Gerry can certainly attest since they have received emails from me that say simply: I just typed my two favorite words laugh )

But one thing I do like about having 'The End' at the end of a story is that when I read those words, I know that my computer hasn't somehow only loaded half of the story (if those words aren't there, I usually end up clicking 'refresh' several times - just to make sure). And I know that there is no need to wait for the sequel (although the author might later decide to write one). But at least I know that the story is not 'To Be Continued.' That, in the author's mind, this is a completed story.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane