I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I'm trying to juggle grading, housecleaning, writing, exercise, and errands today, and I was feeling a little overwhelmed. So I took a page out of FlyLady's book (she helps people organize their housecleaning) and sat down with a timer.

For 15 minutes, I write. When the timer goes off, I post my word count and reset the timer for 15 more minutes, during which I clean house. When the timer goes off, I stop, reset the timer, and go back to my writing for another 15 minutes. When the timer goes off then, I post my word count, reset the timer, and start grading for another 15 minutes, during which time I also help my grand-daughter with her homework.

After completing that whole cycle, I take 15 minutes to rest, look at my email, read the boards, etc. Then I start all over again.

I'm in my second cycle today, and I feel really good about what's getting done. Of course, I don't have little kids around, which makes that kind of schedule hard to stick to, but it does help me organize a huge block of time like my day off. smile

Happy writing, Carol, and I hope things go well with your little guy. Don't feel like you have to make up the 6000 words all at once. Just adding another 333 words a day to your total will let you catch up easily before the end of the month.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/