As of 3 years ago, the water breaking thing was still accurate. DD2's water broke [while I was teaching class no less - a big gusher too] but I didn't go into labor. That was about 9am. They went ahead and started pitocin at 1230pm or so. She was born right before 4pm.

DS was born 4.5 weeks ago. He was 30 days early [due date was last Friday]. Contractions were coming every 3-4 minutes but I didn't really think they were real b/c they didn't hurt bad enough and he was so early - even though I KNEW he'd be here at least by August 1. Finally decided that we better check in just in case. By the time we go to the hospital and they checked, I was a 5-6. He was born 2.5 hours later, 30 minutes after they broke my water. He was given a bottle almost immediately because he was already low blood sugar. They'd gone to get the vacuum b/c his heart rate was dangerously low during contractions, but he was born before it got there.

DD3 [almost 4], was very similar to Pam's. They stripped my membranes and I went into labor but not consistent or painful enough to go to the hospital. Doc appt had been at 930am or so. About 330am the next day, my water broke [just a trickle this time]. Instantly, the contractions were 2 minutes apart and 30 seconds long and hurt like a big dog. We were only at the hospital for 45 minutes or so before she was born - also pain med free because there was no time. The time between the contractions did get a bit longer near the end [2.5 min?] and I was literally falling asleep between them.

With DS, the lacadasical nurse ticked me off too. I'd told her several times that I tend to go fast once my water breaks/pain meds are in. She 'uh huh'd. They broke my water at an 8. Doc waited a couple minutes to see what happened - nothing so she went to see a couple patients [a 3m walk at normal pace] since she had surgery in an hour. Within 10 minutes I was pushing the button telling them to GET IN HERE. When the nurse finally did... I'm sure she was quite competent etc, but she KNEW his heart rate was dropping and that I was fully dilated and so on, but she couldn't have moved slower if she tried. Doc was on the floor 3 minutes [according to her nurse] and in with her first patient when she had to interrupt them.

As for folks in with you [or Folcs in Pam's case?], they only allow one here. DH had to sign a form that said basically if he passes out/gets hurt/etc. they'll shove him to the side, take care of me and baby and get to him when they can. DH never had to wear scrubs or anything, but I think you generally do for a Csection - but it can depend on the hospital/doc too. Heck, my doc wasn't even really wearing her gown when DS was born - it was thrown on and falling off one shoulder - no hair net thing or booties or anything because he needed to get out NOW. I think you could probably get away with several different things if you wanted to [make him leave to change, make Martha leave or whoever or let them stay]. I also have a friend whose DH wasn't allowed in for her emergency Csection so you could probably pull that off too if you really wanted.

I'll skip DD5 because I have no desire to remember that labor/delivery/post delivery *shudder*. That was horrid.

Carol