No one else has answered so I'll suck it up and give you my lovely experience. I went into labor almost a month early (and I honestly didn't believe it was *really* labor - but my husband was smart enough to figure out that my "cramps" were very predictable).

So we went to the hospital and they checked me out. At the time I was dilated to a 2 and they would have sent me home but my blood pressure had skyrocketed (stressed? moi?). So they told me that I was having our son that very day. And I locked myself in the bathroom and had a small freakout (which did nothing to relieve my sudden spike in BP).

Given that this was my first child, they figured it would take me hours and hours. My mom told me that women in my family always go fast but they pooh-pahed that idea. Four hours after I had been admitted to the hospital I was only to a 3 and they broke my water for me. Within two hours I was begging Mark to go and tell them that the baby was coming. When a nurse finally sauntered in (seriously, she could not have been more irritated that I was complaining) and checked me, she went RUNNING from the room and suddenly there were people everywhere, pushing carts and moving furniture.

My husband was allowed to stay the entire time. I've had a couple of friends (and one batty sister-in-law) who have had something close to a neighborhood block party in the delivery room and no one shooed them out. As long as they didn't get in the way and the mom wants them there, the hospital lets them stay.

But, like was said above, you have to be dilated to a 10 before they start telling you to push. Or, in my case, NOT to push. Wait for the doctor! Don't push!

There were also issues with the epidural, the episiotomy and my son not breathing when he was first born - but I'll keep those back unless you think the info would help.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis