Not having in children I can't speak from experience but I can relate what my mother told me about my own birth as related to the other 4 kids(many, many,many years ago). I was quick they all took about 12 hours of labor. What was the difference.

I was to be induced. Operative word WAS. You checked in the afternoon before the day you were to be induced. Induction started early the next morning. All prep was done the afternoon/evening before - shaving etc. Anyway come evening meds they give her something to relax her so she'll sleep. Well it relaxed her so much she went into labor at about 10pm. She was in a ward. After a million trips to the bathroom to pee she decided to go to the nurses station and tell them she was in labor. They yell at her to get back in bed and someone will come check her. They do, wheel her out of the room it is now 11pm. She tells them not to call my Dad because she has long labors to call him after the baby is born. Well my Dad gets a call around 1:30 that I had arrived. I came in just about 3 hours - at 1:10 am to be exact. She said I was the easiest baby she ever had because she was already at the hospital. There wasn't the going into labor, making phone calls(doctor and babysitter), getting in the car driving 20-30 miles to get to the hospital, checked in, prepped and then allowed to get down to the business of having the baby. By that time she said she was so warn out who could give birth. That is why she feels her labor was so long with the other kids and mine was so short - she was there and relaxed.