LabRat, you are totally right that I can't make assumptions about why other people write the stories they do.

Let me say, though, that I'm convinced about this. There won't ever - ever be a lengthy continuity of independent Lois Lane stories where Lois is seen moving on after Clark/Superman has died. Where she is seen living a life all her own, dating other men, getting on with her career. But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we are eventually going to be treated to years and years of Superman stories where Lois is dead or gone and Clark goes on with his life anyway. Where he goes on with his life without sparing many thoughts for Lois, I might add. Because this is another thing that I'm certain of: If Lois is killed in the "real world" - the DC Comics world, the movie world, whatever - and Clark has to go on without her, then he will. And believe me, if we see him spare a thought for her every other year, we will be lucky. Basically, I'm sure of this: if Lois dies in "the real world", she will soon be forgotten.

And this is the reason why any angsty story about Clark grieving over Lois's death ultimately falls flat for me. Because I see in my mind's eye what Clark would be like after a few months' or a few years' worth of stories after Lois died in the "real world": he would be completely indifferent.

The reason why I don't worry too much about Clark deathfic is - I repeat it - that I know that Superman simply won't be allowed to die in the "real world" or whatever we should call it. But Lois's existence is precarious. To read Lois deathfics is, to me, equivalent with having salt rubbed into the wounds of my worries about Lois. I can't help that I hate it. And I can't help that it hurts. It hurts the wrong way, too. I know I'm supposed to cry a cathartic bout of tears for Clark and then feel relieved and uplifted, but all I can feel is increased fears for Lois and a sort of desperate fury that people who are supposed to be fans of Lois seemingly want to kill her. All right - I know that isn't fair. I don't really think that any member of these boards honestly wants Lois to die and disappear for good. Because we all know that there will be a new story tomorrow where Lois is alive again, so even if people kill her in their stories, her death isn't permanent.

But seeing that there are two things I have wanted for Lois and Clark during my 37 years as a Superman and Lois, fan, namely, that Lois and Superman/Clark should get together and that Lois mustn't die, I just hate Lois deathfic and I always will.

Ann