Or is the problem that you don't want to have to hold stories in the upload queue too long?
Exactly, Paul. I feel guilty enough holding on to them for as long as I have to right now and would really like to be uploading them faster than we are. Our GEs are fast enough that, techically, most stories would be uploaded within a week or two of being submitted. But that, of course, would mean that we would probably have months at a time with no Archive upload, until a new submission came in and was edited and ready to upload.

In any case, if 1/3 of the completed stories posted on the MBs aren't making it to the archives, maybe it's time to start sending out another batch of "we noticed you finished this story but haven't submitted it yet..." emails? If so, do you need volunteers to help do so? Or would people find that nagging too intrusive or something?
I've never actually sent out this kind of nagging email, Paul. It was just one of the suggestions I made in this thread, that perhaps it was time to start. I have always felt that this would be intrusive though, which is why it's not something I've already adopted. The response on this thread was lukewarm to it, too, so it seems it's not a popular option.

I just can't get away from the notion that a nagging email is different from a nagging post. Like cold calling. <g> It seems more invasive somehow to target someone's mailbox.

I have, in the past, posted this kind of nag here on the mbs. But, as I say, it's no longterm solution. It simply nets an instant response of two or three stories from authors who've been reminded into sending them in, and then the situation very quickly settles into the status quo again of no submissions.

I could continue to do that, but I do feel that if I did it on a regular basis, it would very quickly be ignored as something routine and probably not even read after a few months. There's only so many ways you can say, "Give us your fanfic, you stingy gits" <G>. So the same post repeatedly posted would quickly blend into the background and become invisible, I think.

The posting in the fdk folders option might actually work out. Certainly it would get the knowledge that there is an Archive to send stories to out to all authors posting on the mbs, without exception. So that has to be a boon, right there.

Thanks for collating those figures. Very interesting.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers