yvonne said:

Your point that a name change won't affect the split between sexy nfic and non-sexy nfic is a fair one, but I wonder in fact whether you're right or not. If a forum were labelled Beyond PG13, does that not send out a message that stories of all sorts are welcome in that forum? Perhaps even encourage other kinds of stories?
yes, it does. but that's another can of worms. that's why i asked in my first post if that was a message that people wanted to send. i mean, sure, people don't have to read stories they don't like, and if certain types of stories don't have much of an audience, they probably won't be posted too much... the question is what kind of stories people want to write and what kind they want to see. figure out then what kinds of stories you want to encourage, i guess.

my thought with the seperate folder was that authors could look at the general tone/empahsis of the stories. then you could have an informal rule or something that romantic fics, romps, and the like could be posted in nfic, and stories with other focuses could be posted in rfic. just an idea.

speaking of which...

As a name for above-PG13-rated fics, I think rfic is brilliant.
thanks, pam. smile it seemed to kinda jump out at me. it covers the bases, doesn't sound inherenly dirty or whatever, and is clear enough.

in any case, i'm still not sure about just changing the name. it does address part of the problem (that authors felt people had certain expectations of nfic), but there seems to be more to address... stories that have nfic scenes only towards the end, letting people find (or not find, as they prefer) stories that are above pg-13 but not because they contain lovemaking, stories that are above pg-13 for more than one reason...

not sure what to do with all that. just leave it up to the author's notes? create a system with the post icons (the angry one means it's a violent story, the blue one means it's more angsty in tone, the smiley one means... well, you get the idea)? or just leave things as they are and let people sort things out themselves (which is pretty much what we do with gfic)?

i dunno. what works best for people? any other ideas?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.