LabRat's "Sugar and Spice" is one of my favorite WAFFY stories!

The new quote is:

Lois realized she'd made a big mistake the minute the bat connected solidly with the broad chest of her partner. The resulting jolt almost snapped her wrists and the answering judder that traveled up the length of the wood and into her arms was so strong it threw her from her feet and wrenched the bat out of suddenly numb and nerveless fingers. She found herself landing on her backside on the carpet an instant later. From which position, she stared up at the man before her in dumbfounded amazement.

"Oh, my, Go -- Cl...ark...?"

Her eyes traveled down across his body and over the bat lying - in two pieces and several splinters of wood - on the carpet. All color drained abruptly from a face suddenly ashen. "Oh, my, God!" She leapt hastily to her feet, her hands flying over his chest and arms as she frantically searched him for bruises or broken bones.

"Lois - "

"Oh, God...Clark..." she continued, dazedly, "I could have - what did I just do? What did I almost do?" Finding no sign of injury on him, she stepped back a pace. She put a shaken hand to her mouth, looking up at him with shock in her eyes. "I could have broken some bones with that bat, your shoulder, damaged your spine...what was I *thinking*? What was I - ?"

"No, you couldn't," Clark pointed out calmly. In the shock of it all - he could see - she still hadn't fully grasped the enormity of what she'd discovered. She was still floundering, trying to pick her way through. Her conscious brain just hadn't caught up with events yet. But it would in a moment or two, he was sure. "Lois, I think you should sit down."

He reached out a hand and eased her back towards the bed. She sank down onto the edge of the mattress absently.

"No." Lois repeated, bewildered. "I couldn't." Then, reiterating the realization as it began - finally - to sink in, "No...I couldn't, could I?" She lifted her eyes to find his face again and this time he saw the shock recede and clarity - real clarity - fill the void it left behind in her expression. She understood. At last, she understood everything.

"Lois - "

"You are...him. You...you're...Superman!"

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin