Originally posted by KenJ:
Vicki is correct. I grew up in a small town, very much like Smallville, in fact it could have been the prototype. Everyone knows everyone else's business. If the name Kent was mentioned the assumption would not be made that it was a first name. The association to the family name would be made. Maisie would have jumped right on that. thumbsup
So, you don't think my re-write of those two paragraphs work? Or are you still thinking of my original paragraphs? You both realize that it's less than a minute between Lois mentioning "Kent" and when Maisie brings up M&J, right? Or is it this line that bothers you both:
“Sorry, hon. I don’t know any Kent in Smallville. Let me go call The Farm and see if they’ve got room for you.”
In the original writing of this scene (really, I wrote this Smallville arc 3 times wallbash - my current file -- for those you trying to break through my firewall -- is called "try 3") Lois said "Clark" and then Maisie turned and back said, "Clark as in Martha Clarke, now Martha Clarke Kent?" which I agree works better, being that Martha hasn't been known as Martha Clarke for roughly 30 years by this point, but then I switched it around to Kent, but left the line basically the same. Please let me know. If my edit still doesn't work for you, I'll keep batting it around. Thanks for the FDK.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.