Wow! Really getting some erudite feedback here!

originally posted by CJ:
I just have one question: Where is all the fruit that has to die in place of the pie maker's revived fruit? Do people in nearby businesses take out their lunches and discover shriveled up, rotting apples in place of the fresh ones that they packed?
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
I would assume that the life force necessary to sustain the apples would be drawn from a nearby tree or from a bush or any plant life close enough to be "touched" by the effect. The total effect on a large tree, for example, would be negligible. Maybe there's a nearby park with spots of dead grass in it?
Originally posted by bobbart:
I had wondered about the fruit also. It seemed to me that to have a logically consistent universe, you would have to have a "conservation of life-energy" rule. I just figured that this was accounted for in Pushing Daisies and was explained as part of the show. Even though this is a minor point, I think I would find that irritating. I mean, it seems that they make a big deal out of conservation of animal-life-energy. How can you do that and ignore conservation of plant-life-energy?
All of you have excellent points, and I feel the same way. In the "Pushing Daisies" world, there definitely seems to be a law of conservation of life-energy. On that show, there have been numerous demonstrations of Ned's skill, and each time, after sixty seconds, an equivalent life is taken. For example, one time Ned revived some of Charlotte Charles' frozen bees (she keeps bees in beehives on the roof). The next thing you see is a disgusting infestation of bugs in the water pipes all cascading down, dead.

So, if the fruit is revived, by "The Rules", equivalent plant-life has to die.

This got by me because I plagiarized it from the TV show, and in that particular bit, the "PD" writers didn't show the plant life dying. I'll have to make an edit to the story and show that.

Originally posted by TOC:
The "conservation of life-energy" is a completely preposterous idea. Whether you believe in evolution or the Bible, you have to admit that there have been times earlier in the history of the Earth where there has been much less life, many fewer life-forms and many fewer living individuals than there are today.
TOC, this is a great essay! Well-thought-out, giving good examples, and making your point.

Unfortunately, for the purposes of this story, I'm going to go with the opinions of the posters above. There will be "conservation of life energy" in this story.

So I'm glad that no other vegetables had to die for the apples that Ned the Pie Maker brought back to life in your fic, IolantheAlias!
I'm sorry. Other vegetables must die. I hate Brussels sprouts so I think they'll go first.

But do not be alarmed at the upcoming Brassicaceae-cide. Rather, take comfort in my profound admiration at your post. Who else could bring up ritual human sacrifice, classical ballet, Biblical exegesis, and the paleontological fossil record? In a single post? I bow in awe.