Wow. First of all thank you once again for the comments and the discussion. I am glad that there are people that are still willing to understand Clark. I never sought out to excuse Clark's behavior, but instead to slowly flesh out his character. It is certainly a progression - and although it can be frustrating, I'm easing everyone, you, me, Lois, Jory, and Clark, into a place where connections are substantiated over time and trial. As much I am a sucker for the love at first sight situations, I think that different trials bring out different tribulations. This thought also spurs me to bring up the idea that people don't always make the right choices - which is why we have stories to tell wink

I also want to acknowledge Elisabeth's point about Jory probably choosing Martha over Lois any day. I think that's likely true, but I'm going from the mindset that Jory knows what his relationship is with Martha, and realizes that there's another slot to fill. This might seem to an advanced thought for a child, but I have come to realize that children have an amazing amount of awareness and great depth of feeling - they just don't always have the language or the ability to express what's going on in their heads. At the same time, as much as they are aware of what's going on - it's not a given that they understand the meaning of it all.

I think Jory probably grew up with a certain amount of love and attention from his primary caregivers, and given the apparent reluctance to match that on Clark's part, I'm hoping that it seems natural for him to furiously latch onto the only person currently showing him the care he craves. I have also learned that children, even the tiny ones, are incredibly stubborn when they get an idea. It's almost as if they completely commit to something and can't comprehend why someone would try to tell them differently. My nephew renamed me when he was 1 and a half, and it has remained as such since.

As for sign language - I have taken some classes/lessons in the past, but I am by no means fluent. I do a fair job of signing to myself (meaning there's no telling if anyone else would understand a word). I'm glad that it flows well with the story. It's a challenge to find the balance, especially when trying to show Jory's communications because sign is really mix of expressions and hand movements that the delineations between words/signs and meanings don't really come across in the full sentence dialogue that we are accustomed to.

I'm sure there's more I could comment on, but I'm assuming you'd rather me get the next chapter ready for tomorrow's posting.

Thanks again!
~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles