Clark walked over to her tank and bent down, peering into the depthless backlit water. A small yellow and white fish swam past the glass in front of him and paused to look at him. The poor thing was probably hungry. Clark picked up the can of fish food and sprinkled a few bites into the tank before moving into her kitchen.
I really like this scene. It really shows how compassionate and sensitive Clark is that even while he's in this state of grief, he can still think of something else (see the fish as a "poor thing" that is hungry). The whole vignette is really rather remarkable at depicting his sensitivity, but I like how in this instance the concern is directed at another being.

Clark gathered the dishes and perfunctorily washed and dried them, putting them away in the exact spots where she kept them.
I really like that last, it speaks volumes to me that he would do things as she wanted to. I remember this one story I read where a boyfriend lost his girlfriend and was hit so hard by it, he began dressing like her. What really struck me was the explanation he gave, that on some afternoons, he saw her shadow reflected on the wall and that made it all worthwhile. So obviously this is a tangent (and that was extreme), but it reminded me of that story because placing the dishes in that way is a form of keeping Lois around. I find that really moving.

Wonderful vignette DJ!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png