Surely I have as much right to express my feelings about this as others do to ignore those feelings?
Where did I suggest otherwise?

But you know very well that's not sufficient -- if I really and truly feel that writer X sucks, shouldn't I have the right to say that? Loudly and often? What if every time someone mentions writer X, I jump in and say they suck. Would you support my right to express those feelings?

We're not talking about rights, here. We're talking about community norms and politeness.

But the opposite extreme to the above is that if writer Y really does write good stories, and gets good feedback, and wins awards... but still complains and makes a fuss and threatens to leave every time there's not *enough* feedback, or from the right people, or their name is left off of any sort of favorites list? Usually in PM or email plaintively asking "why do you hate me?". You know, behind their monitors, people will start to roll their eyes and say, "yeesh, I'd better include something by writer Y just to avoid all the crap that'll happen if I leave them out."

That part gets really annoying after a while. One starts to wonder if the good stories are worth putting up with all the prima donna behavior.

I've run into that sort of behavior before. I guess something triggered the memories today and I vented. Sorry for veering from the thread topic, coolgirl!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K