Clark must have a guardian angel in the city's park maintenance department. That guy with the lawnmower has impeccable timing.

I really enjoyed this chapter. I didn't spend it banging my head on my desk over Lois's bad decisions. smile She came off much more level-headed than she has tended to lately.

I found it odd that Clark assumed that Carlos had had an accident. I assumed that he was sick. I don't remember there being any indication of whether he was sick or injured before Clark talked to the other guy about it.

I wonder what Carlos thinks of Clark. He knows Clark's story, right? So here he is, a Catholic priest, asked to swallow that he's the reincarnation of an alien whose alternate-dimension counterpart has come to visit. I'm not an expert on Catholicism, but I'd guess that reincarnation, if not aliens and other dimensions, falls afoul of their doctrine. (I guess he can't really escape the reality of aliens, though.) Maybe Carlos sees someone in need of spiritual help and is just humoring him as far as their connection goes, or maybe Carlos believes Clark and has reconciled that with his faith. Either way, it probably doesn't have any bearing on the story.

I just find it interesting to have fictional characters reconcile their religious faith with whatever crazy science fiction is thrown at them. As a religious person myself, I'm amused to find that I can easily suspend my disbelief on things like aliens with superpowers and alternate dimensions, but the ideas of reincarnation and soul mates rub me the wrong way so much that I tend to dismiss them and can't suspend my disbelief. Reincarnation is no less fantastical to me than flying and heat vision, yet I can suspend my disbelief on one but not the other. I find myself putting myself in Carlos's place - what if someone came to me with the claims that Clark makes? I probably wouldn't believe them, but Carlos has found some way to not believe that Clark is nuts.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)