Okay, Michael, per your request (suggestion) the phone booth scene now reads as follows:

“So, you were here,” Lois stated the obvious. “Good for you, Clark. That’s great.”

Really? Hmmm. Maybe he had misjudged her. “I better go phone it in,” he said, pointing over his shoulder to the payphone behind him.

Lois grabbed his arm. “Oh, don’t! They’ll just re-write you up. My advice is to get back to the office and get typing.”

Clark’s brow furrowed. “No, they don’t. Doris did a great job on the story I filed yesterday.”

She looked at him in shock that he hadn’t taken her words at face value. “No, you’re right, Clark. They usually don’t, especially Doris. I don’t know why I said that. I just thought you might get to the office and type it up, be able to hand the story directly to the Chief, bask in his praise directly,” Lois said, glancing over her shoulder to the man who had just walked up to the payphone. “Anyway, it looks like that guy is going to be on the phone for a while.”

Wow, that was really nice of her. Clark smiled sheepishly for his earlier assumption. Maybe she wasn’t so cut-throat as he thought. “Thanks, Lois.”

She turned and pointed behind her. “Look! Take my cab!” she insisted. “Go on.”

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.