She returned the smile. They both knew that Jimmy’s guilt meter would say that he owed her for a long time in the future.
razz

But with Dan she was numb.
DingDingDing!

“I understand. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened with Lex if he hadn’t been shot.”
He’d have blown up the Daily Planet, got you to marry him, and jumped out the window.

She was a million miles away. Superman just told her that she was special to him.
Maybe she should take a mental health leave. I heard Neuroscience Center has an excellent repudation.

“Take me home, and get me to bed.”
eek

Oh, God! What had she been saying to him? She decided to play it off like a joke. “So, no double entendre with your curry sauce?”
Oh Lois…

“Why don’t we save that for a time when I’m right in the head?”

“So…” Dan paused as he unlocked her car door before going around to climb in the driver’s side. “Never?”
Brave. Stupid. But very brave.

Once they were inside the car, he repeated his jokey question, “Never? Or lunch in a couple of days and then dinner Saturday in a week?”
/does mental calculation/ That makes Saturday a week from now their third date. Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

were locked inside the air-tight vault at the Gold Repository and they were running out of air.
That was always a very clever plot. An *airtight* vault. That only opens from the outside.

She really needed to stop thinking of Jimmy as a kid. He was twenty-two now. But for some reason ‘kid’ just seemed like the right word for him. Like a kid brother.
She could always tell him that she loves him like a brother.

“’Dear Lois. Sorry, but I need to reschedule lunch; I have to go out of town. Should be back by Saturday. Can’t wait. Yours in tulips, Dan’.”
/wipes brow/

Yours in tulips, Dan’
Cute.

‘Yours in tulips, Dan.’ What did that mean?
A witty remark to show that he is a smith of words, like that partner of hers. Jimmy?

“I’m not that scarred. And he’s not that exciting,” she clarified.
Lois could always do a Lethal Weapon III style scar counting with Clark.

“But… Perry, partnership is like marriage.” This time it was definitely a whine.
So?

“Howdy, partner,” Clark said, waving a blue folder at her. “What sounds better? ‘Kent and Lane’? Or ‘Lane and Kent’? ‘Kent and Lane’? ‘Lane and Kent’?”
‘Kent and Kent’?

“The straight man always goes first.”
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.