Howdy, howdy! wave

Laura - A week is nothing. It'll go by like <snaps fingers> that!
I hate that Clark needs to collect 'local color'. Time kill to keep Clark away from Lois, huh? Argh Lex and his power over the paper. The fact that Clark's cell is at his desk only adds to the distance--nice touch, Lex.
Lex always has a plan. Always. And a contingency for everything in that plan.
I mean yeah, sure, she did try that last ditch 'perfect world' scenario with Superman--try one last time to bring them together...
Well, since they don't have the conversation in the park when she hands Clark his heart on a platter, she has to find another way to sound out her favorite superhero on his feelings.
Ding, ding ding. Irony! Saving money at the Planet...An exclusive interview in Miami (complete with extra days of 'color'). Makes no sense. At all. No way to 'spin' this. Love that Clark calls Lois out on this inconsistancy.

There is no way to spin that -- and it's going to become more and more obvious to her as their enforced separation goes along.
The yuck that was Clark's room was such a funny back and forth. And yeah, I'm sure Lex is having a lot of fun knowing the type of place Clark us spending multiple days in. How it turned the discussion light-hearted, made them laugh, though...that was pretty special. They needed that moment.
Part of the fun in writing this was having them truly be friends and getting to hang out with them (so to speak). We infer all the time in stories that they're best friends but we never really get to see much of it. This story is, at its most basic, a series of conversations between our heroes as they rely on that friendship to strengthen them through the hard times.

Also, no kidding, I've stayed in that hotel room! It was in Las Vegas in 1988 or '89, at a place that has long since been torn down called the Bali Hai. It was the absolute worst hotel room I've ever been in (and I've stayed in some real dives over the years). The box springs were on cinder blocks, the tub was rusted, the TV had pliers clamped to it to turn it off and on, and all night long there was a pink and blue neon sign just outside the window that blinked over and over. No use shutting the blinds, they were mangled beyond repair. Good times!
I loved that Clark used the term 'fiance'. At first I was surprised to see it there...BUT--after I reread this part (a few times --it's really, really great), it hit home with me. Having Clark say that term...to Lois...when she is missing him. It's a biggie. It puts distance between Lois and her best friend, coming from her best friend. That does things. Hopefully it has some effect on Lois. Her first thought was to rebuff him, his statement. I liked that .
I think Clark liked hearing her say that Lex wasn't her fiance. He needled her on purpose, just to get a rise (and a protest) out of her.
Did/does Lois gloss right over Clark's statement?!? Can she pretty, pretty please revisit the thought next chapter?
I'll end your suspense -- she doesn't brood about it at all. smile
Clark's letting something slip right there. There's definite interest--which, thinking of those looks he gives Lois with those chocolate eyes of his repeatedly in the series--she'd be blind to not know something along those lines right from when they first met.
She does recognize (privately) that he was attracted to her when they first started working together, but that's turned into a comfortable friendship and he's now in love with someone else (she thinks). Which is another reason why it doesn't register when he teases her that he'd fly back that night if he thought she was in love with him. He's teasing, and she knows it, so she doesn't examine it for deeper meaning.

Tracey - Another blast from the past! Welcome back! wave
I really enjoy your writing, Sue, and I'm excited to see a story from you! Even when I don't read much L&C fic anymore, you are always someone that can draw me back. Something about your writing reminds me what I love about these characters.
Wow! Thanks! blush Seriously, that is very sweet of you to say. sloppy
So pretty. I wanted Clark to show up on the balcony, too, and whisk her away from the dinner. Did like her conversation with Superman, though, especially when he was surprised when she asked how long it would take to fly her to Miami. So many layers, so many half-truths at this point in their relationship... it's frustrating, but I love this late S1 time period.
He couldn't show up as Clark, but he did the next best thing. All those layers and half-truths are what makes writing fanfic so much fun! I love late S1 and early S2 precisely because they've truly become friends at that point (and there's all that unresolved sexual tension (UST), too!).
I mean, that says it all, doesn't it? Millions of people, but the one person she needs to be in Metropolis isn't there anymore (well, to her knowledge, anyway). The city is empty without Clark.
Yes! And, to her way of thinking, it's not really going to get any better when he returns and starts hanging out with his secret love. It feels like the end of an era to her.
I'm so glad that they talked, though, and I loved their banter. Lois being jealous of Andrea flirting with him and when she missed his overprotectiveness... aw. Here's hoping that Lois starts to see Luthor for who he is now that Clark has planted the seed.
She's really going to miss Clark (and his overprotectiveness) as we get further into the story -- possibly as that seed starts to take root…

Good luck with your second graders!

Susan - You get a medal for how many frickin' times you've read this part (and all the others) and yet you're still enthusiastic. Thank you! notworthy
That she's not devastated at being shot down is perfect...even she knows in her heart that a relationship with Superman really isn't in the cards.
You can't blame a girl for trying, though. wink
It has the zing and banter that I remember from the first season - Clark willing to call her out for things, Lois not backing down. It's the equality of their partnership that makes it special.
That's what I loved most about the first season -- they both had a lot of backbone, especially when it came to dealing with each other.
It's somehow easier to be honest on the phone or online, when you don't have to look the person you're confronting in the eye. I think that being on the phone for this conversation allows both of them to speak honestly about their opinions. Sad that she hung up the phone, but first season Lois probably would have marched off in a huff anyway, even if they were having this discussion face to face.
Oh, yeah. She definitely would have marched away in a snit if they'd had that conversation face to face. laugh

Morgana - Ooh! More feedback from you! hyper
A person can tell when someone is really affectionate or if it is an act. Luthor was never a touchy feely kind of person so Lois sensed right off the bat this was more about possession and competition than genuine love. It also says a lot about her feelings for him. His touch was annoying. If she was as deeply in love with him as she should be his touches would have been the prelude to something greater.
Exactly! clap
Oh Clark! I feel your pain! Go back to Metropolis and tell her who you are and how you feel! Maybe this time she won't be a lunkhead!
Until he's more certain about her feelings for Luthor, and for himself, I can't see him saying anything. It's kind of a Catch-22, isn't it? smile
Despite the fact that they were mad at each other this conversation give us an understanding of the openness of their relationship. Could Lois have this kind of honest communication with Lex? Never.
It does rather strain the imagination to try and picture it. laugh

Brenda - And you're back! clap
I love seeing Lois' thoughts before her conversation with Superman. She's personally debunking all of her reasons to accept Lex's proposal. Financial security? That her job and those of her friends are saved should make her happy, but it doesn't. Enjoys Lex's company? No, his touch is annoying her.

No, Lois. You would not be crazy to turn him down. Marrying him will make you miserable.
We can only hope that she reaches that same conclusion. wink
This is huge at this stage in the story. To have Lois realize that Clark was right about her relationship with Superman before she accepts Luthor's proposal will [hopefully] give her the space she needs to see Luthor for what he is.
smile1 That's all I have to say about that.
/me giggles. Love that. And Clark kind of knows it too. His flexing for Tiffani (?) in the red Kryptonite episode comes to mind.
LOL! Yeah, like that. lol
Oh, you are a master of the little details, like when Superman's cape brushes against Lois' ankle. It brings so much richness to your stories.
Thank you! blush It only occurs to me now that it should have occurred to Lois to realize that, while everyone at the party is trying to get close to Superman, she's the only person with whom he deliberately gets close. Close enough that his cape ends up brushing her ankle. laugh
Argh! I wanted her to voice those thoughts, but we're back to not being able to communicate. Of course, this is with Superman, not her best friend, so I guess I shouldn't expect her to spill her inmost thoughts. Plus, it might have cut several chapters off of your story.
I'm all for cutting off chapters! The shorter, the better, IMHO. But since she's realizing that she doesn't really know Superman that well, it would be wrong to have her start confessing everything.
I also loved the banter and the subtle revelations throughout Lois and Clark's phone call. Surely, if Lois is astute enough to catch Clark using the present tense when talking about the woman he fell in love with, she can catch his declaration here and put the two together!
Like I told Laura, she thinks he's kidding so she doesn't examine that statement for deeper meaning. Sometimes sarcasm hides the truth, it certainly did for Clark.
A rational, thinking Lois is exactly what Luthor is trying to destroy. So glad to see he isn't getting what he wants.

Not in my story, he won't!

Michael - Hey! It's cruel of you to tease me with Star Wars and GoT when they're both MONTHS away from any kind of resolution! razz
Maybe if she offered her spare bedroom?
Ah, the elusive spare bedroom. It was there in S1, and then seems to disappear in S2. Very odd. Someone should alert Rod Serling about it.
Hmm… ‘gropies’?
LOL! Lois could definitely be the president of that club. smile
She had a benefactor. And so did he.
OMG! Suddenly I have this mental image of Superman arriving on the arm of Arthur Chow…
Like Lex trying to secure outside funding for his name-branded charity efforts?
Yeah, you gotta love how all of Lex's good deeds involve a great deal of publicity.
I guess it’s like it’s for a stripper, huh? It’s part of the job and like most strippers, he probably doesn’t have many alternatives.
Bwaaaa! He's not earning any tips, either, the poor guy. It's too bad someone didn't take a young Superman aside and explain to him that he should stay in school so he'd have more options. razz
*Un*fortunately?
At this point he doesn't know yet that a large electrical current can transfer his powers. And his "unfortunately" was meant as sympathy for all those deluded souls who might actually be hoping that his powers could rub off on them. smile
One might almost think that Lex is deliberately trying to keep them apart. Nah…
Not Lex! He believes in share, and share alike.
No, those spots aren’t ‘color’.
I laughed and I cringed at the same time! And then again when you implied that Lois was currently "working" on Lex. Yikes!
LEX: Cross-state calls are expensive with mobile phones and the Planet must save money.
It would have been cheaper to call her on his cell, but Owen lifted it. Nope, Clark is calling directly from the room, and that's going to rack up some charges.
NOR: See? Defective heir.
LOL!

Thank you all for the kind comments! They are very, very much appreciated! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis